How safe or dangerous are Lambos for kids?

joebiz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't listen to what anyone said about anything . Everyone wants to meddle all the time and let them mind their own business. You as an adult acted in a very safe and responsible manner and you don't need to justify your actions to anybody, especially to some idiot bystander who has no clue.

My kids normally drive around with the doors up.

November2009072.jpg

not trying to sound creepy i any way, thats one of the cutest pictures i've seen, kids look adorable in it

My son is a professional racecar driver so I'm the one that's scared when he's behind the wheel.

Seriously though, I've been tempted to take him out on the roads with the airbag off and carseat latched on but I worry sometimes. I have 2 other cars that he can ride in and know he'll be safe. It's the people eating, texting, talking on their phone, trying to take pics of my car while driving with one hand and not paying attention that worry me more than anything else so I err on the side of caution and we only drive within our gated subdivision.

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

November2009072.jpg

My son is a professional racecar driver so I'm the one that's scared when he's behind the wheel.

Seriously though, I've been tempted to take him out on the roads with the airbag off and carseat latched on but I worry sometimes. I have 2 other cars that he can ride in and know he'll be safe. It's the people eating, texting, talking on their phone, trying to take pics of my car while driving with one hand and not paying attention that worry me more than anything else so I err on the side of caution and we only drive within our gated subdivision.

Haha, these pics are great!

I never knew you could turn off the airbags, looking forward to my first Lambo and taking my kids out for a cruise.

not trying to sound creepy i any way, thats one of the cutest pictures i've seen, kids look adorable in it

thank you!

The Lambos are super safe for the young ones!

I was reading through the owners manual of my dad's Carrera GT and came across this:

Child Seats Danger! Risk of death or serious injury. f Do not allow children under the age of 12 to sit in this car. The Carrera GT has frontal airbags and does not have an airbag deactivation system. Children in child seat or booster seat are at risk for serious personal injuries or death if the front airbag deploys. f Do not install the Porsche child seat on your passenger seat.

[i dquote name=chrislamborghiniatlanta' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:32 AM' post='677974]

The airbag is the killer for a small child.

Not just a small child, small woman to. I had a family friend, 5'2'' 100 pounds soaking wet, young mother of 3. She was sitting in

the passenger seat. Low speed 20-30 mph crash. Died instantly airbag broke her neck. The only good thing about the whole thing

was the case was so clear cut that the manufactuer paid out without a fight for a large sum. But it doesn't bring back mom.

November2009072.jpg

Great pic, they gotta show the other kids who's running things!

If I am going to run out and one of my kids wants to go I always take them...of course I drive slower....like the Ferrari guys...

I grew up in the 70s. I never wore a seat belt until I was 16 and my family started wearing them mainly because they passed a law requiring it. Mom and Dad used to throw us in the back of the station wagon with a pile of toys. We lived on the outskirts of town and drove everywhere. I am still alive. The whole family shudders to think of it now, but back then, seat belts were optional. It reminds me of kids today wearing helmets to ride a trike. As kids we rode Big-wheels, BMX, and skateboards and didn't even own a helmet.

Don't feel like you are being a bad parent! A Lamborghini front seat is probably safer for a kid than most cars on the road. The mind set that you have to buy the biggest SUV on the market and put your kid dead center to be a responsible parent is stupid.

I would tell the professors of child safety the Lamborghini has an outstanding safety rating and is designed with child safety in mind. What soccer mom is going to know if you are making it up.

As stated previously, putting a kid in the front is safer than putting him in the back of your Lamborghini.

Sleep easy! Wish my dad had a Lamborghini when I was little. The Volvo wagon was fun, but not very cool.

She's talking out her chunky ass. The fact is that Lamborghinis are designed to crash at high speeds and still allow the occupants to walk away. She was probably driving a Kia that by comparison explodes on impact. If you were driving safely, you were not likely putting your kid in any high risk situation. I'd feel safer in a Lamborghini than I would feel in most cars.

:iamwithstupid: :icon_super:

I suppose the lady was trying to strike up a conversation with you and was swiftly snubbed ... :eusa_dance:

Heard this on the news about the latest tests of car seats http://cbs2.com/consumer/Best.And.Worst.2.1384880.html

We had the recaros.... I ididnt need a bunch of tests.... They LOOK safer than the rest.... You can just pick them up and tell they feel sturdier and tougher.

BTW.... We have a couple if anybody wants them- Going cheap. Hell. Id give em away free to somebody who comes pick em up.

[i dquote name=chrislamborghiniatlanta' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:32 AM' post='677974]

The airbag is the killer for a small child.

Not just a small child, small woman to. I had a family friend, 5'2'' 100 pounds soaking wet, young mother of 3. She was sitting in

the passenger seat. Low speed 20-30 mph crash. Died instantly airbag broke her neck. The only good thing about the whole thing

was the case was so clear cut that the manufactuer paid out without a fight for a large sum. But it doesn't bring back mom.

My gf is that size....

Guest skokos
We had the recaros.... I ididnt need a bunch of tests.... They LOOK safer than the rest.... You can just pick them up and tell they feel sturdier and tougher.

BTW.... We have a couple if anybody wants them- Going cheap. Hell. Id give em away free to somebody who comes pick em up.

Could I pay you for shipping?

We have the top rated britax and recaros. The recaros are so much sturdier, plus I like the side impact protection system.

I'd rather have my child in a Recaro seat in a Gallardo or Murcielago, than a 50 dollar seat in a minivan.

Lambos might actually be safer ways to transport your kids, as everyone will see the car and pay attention to it. However this is assuming you don't have idiots following you to look at it. I am also willing to bet most Lambo accidents are driver error based-people who cant handle the cars, compared to those that are caused by others. I highly doubt anyone on this board push the limits of any lambo with their most precious cargo in it.

I don't need a test to tell me anything about Recaro kids seats- just picking them up and seeing the build quality was enough to convince me- though the tests are all glowing. They are top notch. I won't put my kids in anything else.

Britax seem like they always score highly too- though they don't match the interior of my Gallardo like the Recaro does. :-)

Could I pay you for shipping?

That would probably be fine, but the problem is, I dont have fcuking boxes for them.... (as you can imagine, the fcuking things are BIG and finding a box would be a PITA)....

Let me go out to the garage tomorrow, and make sure theyre G2G...

Im going to look at all the straps and make sure everything is functioning and they have all the docs, straps, etc (One I think may have a broken button that holds the head rest up, and if thats the case, its going into the trash- I wont give it away.) .

As you can imagine, coming from Mr. Anal retentive me- they are IMMACULATE.... They've been sat on for several years, but never puked on, spilled on, crapped on, Peed on, etc.... Daddy doesn't allow food or drink in the cars....

I had a woman make a similar comment to me and I told her that she was the one putting her kids in danger since my car did much better in crash tests than hers did :icon_mrgreen: I don't drive my daughter in it very often, but it is her favorite car. It is the best sleep aid I have found. That purring V12 puts her to sleep every time!

DSC09673.JPG

Strangely there is currently no NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme) rating for any Lamborghini.

There are a number of ways at looking at this.

NCAP looks at many varieties of scenarios for collisions, for example the Nissan GTR has a pop up bonnet to increase pedestrian safety and many cars have to have their bonnet areas raised to increase safety but by doing so this increases drag co-efficiency therefore slowing the car down and lessens the performance which could explain why Lamborghinis are not put forward for testing.

But the flipside is as TommyJames points out, the structural safety of the car for occupants is exceptionally high because of materials used in the construction of the car's tub.

This then leads to the general public thus becoming confused (easily done) and believing that a high powered sports car is automatically dangerous and you are only a inhale of breath away from instant death. Lamborghinis could be considered dangerous but only to people outside of the car.

Strangely there is currently no NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme) rating for any Lamborghini.

There are a number of ways at looking at this.

NCAP looks at many varieties of scenarios for collisions, for example the Nissan GTR has a pop up bonnet to increase pedestrian safety and many cars have to have their bonnet areas raised to increase safety but by doing so this increases drag co-efficiency therefore slowing the car down and lessens the performance which could explain why Lamborghinis are not put forward for testing.

But the flipside is as TommyJames points out, the structural safety of the car for occupants is exceptionally high because of materials used in the construction of the car's tub.

This then leads to the general public thus becoming confused (easily done) and believing that a high powered sports car is automatically dangerous and you are only a inhale of breath away from instant death. Lamborghinis could be considered dangerous but only to people outside of the car.

I think the "crumple" requirements for a hood are because of the engine block being in the front of those cars. I believe mid and rear engined vehicles, might not be subject to those regs because there is nothing solid in the front.

I think the "crumple" requirements for a hood are because of the engine block being in the front of those cars. I believe mid and rear engined vehicles, might not be subject to those regs because there is nothing solid in the front.

Engine placement does not come into it when it comes to the pedestrian regulations. The strength of the bonnet is not dependant on what lies beneath it.