Got a warning from ISP

Rix

OMG I got an email from the ISP just now because I downloaded Dexter using uTorrent a few days ago!!! I didnt realise that was possible nor the fact that they could track my downloads!!

Has anybody else had anything like this come through? I've never had anything come through before, nothing whatsoever in the past 10 odd years I've been downloading stuff :(

OMG I got an email from the ISP just now because I downloaded Dexter using uTorrent a few days ago!!! I didnt realise that was possible nor the fact that they could track my downloads!!

Has anybody else had anything like this come through? I've never had anything come through before, nothing whatsoever in the past 10 odd years I've been downloading stuff :(

Shit flows downhill.

Welcome to "1984". Big Brother IS watching!!!

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you!!"

Turn on encryption.

its a setting within utorrent. This will stop the ISP from knowing what it is that you are donwloading. the only thing they will know is that there is X MBs being downloaded, but they can't pinpoint what that may be.

in the UK, France, Sweden and Australia (soon to be followed by various other western countries) ISPs are now passing on these messages from the recording and movie industries. All they have to do is claim that a specific IP address downloaded a file and away they go. they arent verifying it before passing the message on to the customer.

In France, 3 strikes and you are off the internet for good. Many other countries are looking into this as well.

I used to work for an ISP, we sent out emails all the time. First time was an email, second was a phone call and email, thrid we limited you to Port 80(internet surfing) and Port 110 & 25(email), if there was a Fourth they were shut down for good.

I got a warning from someone in my first year of college for downloading Office 2007. The letter I got was not nice. I can't remember who sent it or what it said exactly but it was along the lines of "Stop or we'll fcuk your shit up". I stopped for a couple weeks.....

WTF? I've downloaded songs for years. Started with Trapster, now mainly on torrents. How can they track you? Isn't that some invasion of privacy - unless you upload? Any suggestions for adding security?

I used to do that stuff until I downloaded the adult film "Pirates" a couple years ago and had the exact same thing happen. They threatened to go after me unless I deleted it. I deleted it and haven't done that stuff since. I either buy them or wait til they are out on TV

I used to do that stuff until I downloaded the adult film "Pirates" a couple years ago and had the exact same thing happen. They threatened to go after me unless I deleted it. I deleted it and haven't done that stuff since. I either buy them or wait til they are out on TV

Dude.... That movie wasnt worth downloading let alone getting in trouble over.

Most of my friends are using Peerguardian which does the job perfectly.

well, thats not going to work for mac users.

The only way that I get any good shows is by downloading.

I dont think they will track me down here, but who knows.

Let me guess, it was a letter from your ISP, but it's not them that wrote the complaint, it is Showtime or HBO, something like that...

I had a friend that has the same thing happen to him while DLing some HBO series, I think - The ISP said in their letter something to the effect of "HBO has tracked your IP address downloading their copyrighted material; they have asked us to recommend that you to stop'

It went on to say something like "We did not, and will not release your personal information to HBO, but may be required if they decide to file a suit".

I showed the letter to a friend of mine that works for the cable company that sent out the letter, and he said - "Oh yeah...We send those out all the time."

So it's probably not your ISP that cares, it's the owner of the material.

Let me guess, it was a letter from your ISP, but it's not them that wrote the complaint, it is Showtime or HBO, something like that...

I had a friend that has the same thing happen to him while DLing some HBO series, I think - The ISP said in their letter something to the effect of "HBO has tracked your IP address downloading their copyrighted material; they have asked us to recommend that you to stop'

It went on to say something like "We did not, and will not release your personal information to HBO, but may be required if they decide to file a suit".

I showed the letter to a friend of mine that works for the cable company that sent out the letter, and he said - "Oh yeah...We send those out all the time."

So it's probably not your ISP that cares, it's the owner of the material.

Exactly right. Thats how ares were.

Geez you've only been in the country a month and you're causing trouble already! lol

Was talking to a mate about this recently. They are doing the 3 strike thing. You will get another letter and they will ban you from having an ISP for life. The mates workmate, now has to have the internet under his missus' name as he got the can.

I think they really go after TV shows and movies, seeing as most people don't care to watch TV with a ton of commercials anymore.

But seriously, 3 strikes and no internet for life? What's next, shoplift 3 times and can't go to any stores for life? Speed 3 times and can't drive for life? Prank call somebody 3 times and no phone for life?

But seriously, 3 strikes and no internet for life? What's next, shoplift 3 times and can't go to any stores for life? Speed 3 times and can't drive for life? Prank call somebody 3 times and no phone for life?

SHHHHHH!!!!!! Dont' give them any ideas!!!

Geez you've only been in the country a month and you're causing trouble already! lol

I know tell me about it!! I got a parking ticket a few days ago for parking forwards instead of backwards too :eusa_wall:

Hmm seems like a few of you guys have had some prior warnings.

Pumcy I checked uTorrent and changed the setting to FORCED encryption instead of ENABLED hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks Basstones I downloaded PeerGuardian and will use it from now on :icon_thumleft:

i have no issue with these people wanting to protect their IP, however what if you live in a place where these things arent available?

for example Top Gear is not shown here until years after the episode airs, so its not that were trying to steal anything, its that its something we dont actually get?

i have no issue with these people wanting to protect their IP, however what if you live in a place where these things arent available?

for example Top Gear is not shown here until years after the episode airs, so its not that were trying to steal anything, its that its something we dont actually get?

You could buy the video or cd.

I own patents in places/countries that I do not distribute to but take a dim view of people ripping off my property, If they contact me I will gladly sell them the products.

Russell

You could buy the video or cd.

I own patents in places/countries that I do not distribute to but take a dim view of people ripping off my property, If they contact me I will gladly sell them the products.

Russell

I understand what your getting at and I feel the same in that respect but a show is a show and if you dont get it where you live...The majority of people that download are not re-selling. If its for personal use I don't see why its an issue. I am strictly talking about shows here btw. I'm watching 2/3 seasons old shows here in Aus, they are so far behind its not even funny. Think about it, where would all the Top Gear fans on LP be without Saleenfan donating each episode?

If its an actual invention or your own design of product that somebody is ripping off and selling on then that is a totally different matter.