One of the BEST books I have ever read...

Lightning

this book is phenomenal, and i have a ton of respect for Marcus Luttrell, and our SEALS.

:iamwithstupid:

I couldnt put the book down. Thanks for recommending it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody familiar with the Bulldog Balwanz "incident" from the First Gulf War?

I was struck by the similarities of the two events.... And am quite sure that the Redwing operators must have been aware of it, if only in the back of their minds....

In many respects the battles went the same way, except that Balwanz was able to call in heavy air support which decided the outcome in his favor...

I took everyones advice and picked up a copy of Lone Survivor. Anyone want to take bets as to whether this gets made into a movie? Just an incredible book....

I slept a little more soundly last night knowing there are guys like Marcus out there protecting this country. On the other note, the whole first half of the book which highlighted the training and hell they went through to become SEALs made me feel like a huge pussy. I definitely want to be a better tougher man after reading this book.

I took everyones advice and picked up a copy of Lone Survivor. Anyone want to take bets as to whether this gets made into a movie? Just an incredible book....

I slept a little more soundly last night knowing there are guys like Marcus out there protecting this country. On the other note, the whole first half of the book which highlighted the training and hell they went through to become SEALs made me feel like a huge pussy. I definitely want to be a better tougher man after reading this book.

haha no kidding! These guys make pretty much everyone look like a giant cunt!

I've been forcing myself to go about 50 pages a night just so I fully grasp everything that is transpiring.

Im glad so many people are reading it. :) I am hoping to get my copy autographed someday (if anyone ever gets a chance to meet him, remember this thread and pick up an extra signature for me! ;) ). I am almost done with the other book I picked up, "The Warrior Elite", which is the eye-witness account of SEAL Class 228's training (that is Marcus Luttrells graduating class, so it goes a little deeper than the details he reveals in Lone Survivor about his training). Another great book, although not nearly as gripping as Lone Survivor due it being more like a documentary. For anyone whos curiosity was piqued while reading Marcus's book and who is interested in EXACTLY what HELL WEEK and SEAL BUD/S training is like, its worth the read! :icon_thumleft:

I read it last week. I think Spielberg could do wonders with that story...

No... Spielberg would fcuk it up royally.

Peter Berg (Directed the Kingdom, and has starred in a ton of TV Shows) already has it optioned.

I would have liked to see Ridley Scott do it....

I would have liked to see Ridley Scott do it....

Although, I dont thing Spielberg would fcuk it up. Are we forgetting Saving Private Ryan?

Although, I dont thing Spielberg would fcuk it up. Are we forgetting Saving Private Ryan?

Different wars... Different politics.

No... Spielberg would fcuk it up royally.

I say Spielberg because of his war movies (flags of our fathers, saving private ryan) but I would also like to see Robert Zemeckis film it.

finished it yesterday.

Chapters 7-8 were the hardest things i have made my self read in a long time.

i REQUIRED myself to re read those chapters twice, so as not to forget the details of their sacrifices.

Guest skokos

I have a friend going through the seals program right now and after he told me some of his stories from training i instantly new this was something I would never be able to do. Not even a question in my mind. He also told me that during part of the training he was quickly sheathing a 6 or 7 inch knife on his thigh and he stabbed him self so deep it almost hit a major artery and nearly bled to death before they could stop the bleeding :shock:

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd give this thread a little bump....

Today is the Fifth Anniversary of Operation Redwing, which became the subject of Lone Survivor.

News was announced yesterday that construction has begun on the USS Michael Murphy, an Arleigh Burke class Destroyer named after the Medal of Honor recipient and Commanding Officer, of the Operation Redwing team.

USSMichaelMurphyImage1.jpg

Thought I'd give this thread a little bump....

Today is the Fifth Anniversary of Operation Redwing, which became the subject of Lone Survivor.

News was announced yesterday that construction has begun on the USS Michael Murphy, an Arleigh Burke class Destroyer named after the Medal of Honor recipient and Commanding Officer, of the Operation Redwing team.

Great reason to bump the thread Erik. I was thinking of the upcoming anniversary a couple weeks ago after flipping through the book for about the 100th time in 5 months, but hadnt heard of this news yet. The story of Operation Redwing and the sacrifices Lieutenant Michael Murphy and his comrades made is something I will never forget. The naming of a destroyer after him is well deserved indeed.

As I said earlier in the thread, this is a story everyone needs to read. I cant remember the last time a book had such an effect on me as Lone Survivor.

WOW!!! What a huge honer for LT. Murphy. That is awesome, Im sure his family is VERY proud of him.

WOW!!! What a huge honer for LT. Murphy. That is awesome, Im sure his family is VERY proud of him.

They should be....

Medal of Honor Official Citation

FOR SERVICE AS SET FORTH IN THE FOLLOWING

CITATION:

FOR CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY AND INTREPIDITY AT THE RISK OF HIS LIFE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY AS THE LEADER OF A SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE ELEMENT WITH NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE TASK UNIT AFGHANISTAN ON 27 AND 28 JUNE 2005. WHILE LEADING A MISSION TO LOCATE A HIGH-LEVEL ANTI-COALITION MILITIA LEADER, LIEUTENANT MURPHY DEMONSTRATED EXTRAORDINARY HEROISM IN THE FACE OF GRAVE DANGER IN THE VICINITY OF ASADABAD, KONAR PROVINCE, AFGHANISTAN. ON 28 JUNE 2005, OPERATING IN AN EXTREMELY RUGGED ENEMY-CONTROLLED AREA, LIEUTENANT MURPHY’S TEAM WAS DISCOVERED BY ANTI-COALITION MILITIA SYMPATHIZERS, WHO REVEALED THEIR POSITION TO TALIBAN FIGHTERS. AS A RESULT, BETWEEN 30 AND 40 ENEMY FIGHTERS BESIEGED HIS FOUR-MEMBER TEAM. DEMONSTRATING EXCEPTIONAL RESOLVE, LIEUTENANT MURPHY VALIANTLY LED HIS MEN IN ENGAGING THE LARGE ENEMY FORCE. THE ENSUING FIERCE FIREFIGHT RESULTED IN NUMEROUS ENEMY CASUALTIES, AS WELL AS THE WOUNDING OF ALL FOUR MEMBERS OF THE TEAM. IGNORING HIS OWN WOUNDS AND DEMONSTRATING EXCEPTIONAL COMPOSURE, LIEUTENANT MURPHY CONTINUED TO LEAD AND ENCOURAGE HIS MEN. WHEN THE PRIMARY COMMUNICATOR FELL MORTALLY WOUNDED, LIEUTENANT MURPHY REPEATEDLY ATTEMPTED TO CALL FOR ASSISTANCE FOR HIS BELEAGUERED TEAMMATES. REALIZING THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF COMMUNICATING IN THE EXTREME TERRAIN, AND IN THE FACE OF ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH, HE FOUGHT HIS WAY INTO OPEN TERRAIN TO GAIN A BETTER POSITION TO TRANSMIT A CALL. THIS DELIBERATE, HEROIC ACT DEPRIVED HIM OF COVER, EXPOSING HIM TO DIRECT ENEMY FIRE. FINALLY ACHIEVING CONTACT WITH HIS HEADQUARTERS, LIEUTENANT MURPHY MAINTAINED HIS EXPOSED POSITION WHILE HE PROVIDED HIS LOCATION AND REQUESTED IMMEDIATE SUPPORT FOR HIS TEAM. IN HIS FINAL ACT OF BRAVERY, HE CONTINUED TO ENGAGE THE ENEMY UNTIL HE WAS MORTALLY WOUNDED, GALLANTLY GIVING HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY AND FOR THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM. BY HIS SELFLESS LEADERSHIP, COURAGEOUS ACTIONS, AND EXTRAORDINARY DEVOTION TO DUTY, LIEUTENANT MURPHY REFLECTED GREAT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF AND UPHELD THE HIGHEST TRADITIONS OF THE UNITED STATES NAVAL SERVICE.

SIGNED GEORGE W. BUSH

They should be....

Medal of Honor Official Citation

I know, I read the book, TWICE. Probably will again this Fall/Winter. Also watched the you tube vid of President Bush during the Medal of Honor Ceremony. Im proud of him!

• 3 months later...
A friend serving in Afghanistan uploaded this pic on his facebook recently.

Thats awesome!! That looks to be Marcus's twin brother Morgan Luttrell (also a Navy Seal currently serving on Active Duty in Afghanistan!).