Murcielago Burns in Brooklyn

Because the person who stole it didnt realise the motor was in the back when he set it on fire!

:icon_lol:

Fire extinguishers are really over looked. I installed one in my daily driver as well.

These things burn, there's no way around it. You pack that much potential energy, hundreds of effective HP, into an extremely small tight space, and you have the potential for fire.

Ferraris and Lambos have burned for years, obviously. Recently Audi had its own problems with R8-V10 mules catching on fire while testing at the Ring. There is no exception to this rule, though some mfg's seem to have better records with it than others. Porsche comes to mind as a company that seems to have it pretty down as I can't recall the last time we saw a CGT or 997TT erupt into an inferno. For the most part though it's a problem that spans all supercar manufacturers, not just "the Italians". :icon_mrgreen:

Couple days ago in New Jersey

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/201...t-in-Somerville

porschefire.jpg

For the most part though it's a problem that spans all supercar manufacturers, not just "the Italians". :icon_mrgreen:

This is not a supercar thing, but an exotic on fire gets a lot more attention than a minivan on fire. From wikipedia:

"On average, there is a vehicle fire every 96 seconds in the United States."

Wouldn't be many exotics left if they represented a majority of those fires :P

My LP-640 had a GAS TANK recall a couple weeks ago ... All model year 2007's had a BAD or WEAK weld section that would rattle loose eventually and gasoline would start to leak ... They replaced my entire gas tank.

Dario

maybe the manufacturers should start offering fire suppression systems like in race cars.

:iamwithstupid:

As someone in the fire protection business, I couldn't agree more in spirit.

Not sure if it's practical, space wise...race cars by virtue of a stripped interior, no passenger seat can make it work more easily.

Worth looking into. Clean Agent suppression systems can put out fires very, very fast.

Seriously why doesn't anybody stop and ask themselves why are these cars burning?

A close friend's Gallardo has also burnt partially because of electric problem, they could be able to stop fire but fixing the car cost half of it's value!

He was always afraid of car getting fire because of this he never topped the fuel while the car was warm, he was very careful about that but never thought cables can also cause fire in engine compartment..

I think all of you should carry a fire extinguisher in your car, fully insurance it and also be careful where you park your car because especially in underground car parks, rats can enter your car and cause damage to the cables.. This is not a rare thing, if you are lucky your car just won't start or give an error but if not you can see fire coming through behind of the car while going 100mph, stop it but doors won't open! It's better to carry a glass breaker too..

thanks for the tips, Mom.

This is not a rare thing, if you are lucky your car just won't start or give an error but if not you can see fire coming through behind of the car while going 100mph, stop it but doors won't open! It's better to carry a glass breaker too..

Anyway here is another Lambo burnt just a few days ago!

4712331476af5fd52a76b.jpg

Explain again why the doors wont/wouldnt open? You lost me there but MAYBE Im just slightly ignorant when it comes to these cars... ?

Youre driving.

Notice smoke or fire.

Pull over.

Shut it down.

and according to you, the doors may not open?.. I dont see why they wouldnt.

Explain again why the doors wont/wouldnt open? You lost me there but MAYBE Im just slightly ignorant when it comes to these cars... ?

Youre driving.

Notice smoke or fire.

Pull over.

Shut it down.

and according to you, the doors may not open?.. I dont see why they wouldnt.

What if it's too late when you notice the fire? When you are going 100MPH how many times you look back?

Anyway I heard such problems occurred in other brands , you can lock and unlock the doors with remote right? When car cables short circuit because of fire fuses engaged to protect control systems, if you locked the car inside and if the fuse which control central lock mechanism out of order then this may happen.

My friend told that there were some parts like climate control not working after cables replaced because of fuses.

Update: Shitty installation of aftermarket DVD player!

http://jalopnik.com/5574415/350k-brooklyn-...d-by-dvd-player

You drop $200K on a car and then cheap out on the DVD player? Why get one at all? We're sad about the car, but it sounds like the Murci' was trying to send a message: you don't need to watch DVDs in an exotic, two-seat Italian super car.

kelso.jpg

Update: Shitty installation of aftermarket DVD player!

http://jalopnik.com/5574415/350k-brooklyn-...d-by-dvd-player

that was actually the first thing that came to mind when it was a suposed electrical fire: dodgy aftermartet electrical work. An unfused line that got shorted would do the trick and start a fire in no time.

A bit hard for a fused line to start a fire, unless the fuse has been tampered with/shorted/faulty/incorrect size. I think on a car the only thing that is not fused is the starter motor.

According to the owner he didn't have one installed recently. He had an aftermarket radio/nav put in, but it was done long time ago.

the insulation on a cable will take years to wear through and short if is does at all, or it could take years for the unit itself to fail and short if it does at all. Without a fuse the wiring just gets hotter and hotter until the copper melts through, hot enough to start a fire unless the battery drains first.

the insulation on a cable will take years to wear through and short if is does at all, or it could take years for the unit itself to fail and short if it does at all. Without a fuse the wiring just gets hotter and hotter until the copper melts through, hot enough to start a fire unless the battery drains first.

wow crazy!

People assume that a fused wire is safe.

I have seen many inline fuses put so far away from the power supply that any short in the unprotected length prior to the fuse would cause a problem.

If you install an amp in the hood and run a line from the battery the fuse should be very close to the battery not the amp if not you will have about 8 ft of unprotected wire.

Russell

I like how people are jumping on the guy about having a DVD player in the car. The new cars come with a DVD player stock. Maybe it was a DVD based Navigation he put in? People just love to make stuff up.. Its amazing..