If Aliens Started Mining My Ass, How Would I Feel?

WheelsRCool

Okay so random question but this just sort of popped into my head, basically in the film Avatar, according to the backstory, the only justification at all for spending the massive amount of money to create the Capital Star class of commercial spacecraft (that giant spacecraft you see at the beginning) was because of humanity's need for Unobtainium. So what if say one day, out of nowhere, a big giant spacecraft enters our Solar System and heads to Mars. Let's say it dispatches a smaller craft that then travels to Earth, aliens make contact, they explain that they are a civilized species like Westernized man, and that the reason they have arrived is for commercial interests, basically they need some material that Mars has in abundance. They explain that this is the only real reason they spent the enormous resources to build their big spacecraft, and that they will not be harming us at all, they just will be engaging in full-time mining of Mars.

Well I was thinking, even though Mars is a good ways away, I'd personally feel a bit violated. Like the attitude, "Wait a minute, this is OUR solar system, WHO THE FRIG DO YOU THINK YOU ARE just coming out of nowhere and engaging in mining one of our beloved planets! Leave it alone, the only ones who should be allowed to mine Mars our us humans."

Stupid I know, but that is kind of how I'd feel, even though technically the aliens would have every right I'd think, I just feel we have ownership of the Solar System or something. how would you feel?

I would be willing to bet money that if it was the MOON they discovered something on and decided to start mining, there would be an uproar of protest on Earth, because the Moon is "ours."

If this happened, and they were indeed civilized, they would probably offer something in trade for the right to mine on Mars.

And considering they are able to travel to other solar systems, I think we would take that offer!

lol sounds like a good movie. You should write a screenplay and sell it to James Cameron.

If there was an entity advanced enough for interstellar travel we would be wise to not say shit and let them have their way with Mars.

Well I was thinking, even though Mars is a good ways away, I'd personally feel a bit violated. Like the attitude, "Wait a minute, this is OUR solar system, WHO THE FRIG DO YOU THINK YOU ARE just coming out of nowhere and engaging in mining one of our beloved planets! Leave it alone, the only ones who should be allowed to mine Mars our us humans."

Example: you own a piece of land. Your neighbour 2 spots over owns another and in between him and you is unclaimed land. On this land is a 1000 ton boulder. You're saying you would get mad if he started taking it, eventhough you have no way of removing it, and may never have the ability to? First come first serve i think.

If this happened, and they were indeed civilized, they would probably offer something in trade for the right to mine on Mars.

And considering they are able to travel to other solar systems, I think we would take that offer!

I think they (like us) would just take whatever resources they could without any thought given to us. Who are we to say they can't? Plus they got there first, sort of.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bush_baffled_small.jpg

wheels sometimes you come up with the craziest stuff I've ever heard.

Mars, aliens, space travel etc is this Sheldon Cooper???

Oh yeah! Well what if we lived in a world that didn't exist but we really thought we did but it didn't even thought we thought it really did, but it wasn't like it was, even though it WAS there but we just felt like it was when it wasn't! I would really feel violated.

Well, if they're "nice" enough to come by and give us a courtesy notification, I'm assuming we could hope to learn from their technology and hopefully get off this rock to a greater extent than we have so far.

I've always wondered how the extra terrestrial real estate market would work if we suddenly had the capability to easily travel to the moon, Mars, etc. Currently, no entity can "own" part of the moon under a treaty signed by the superpowers a number of years ago.

That would obviously change if aliens demonstrated the ability and desire to start doing commerce in our solar system. I'm sure our economy could benefit from some new whateveranium that we don't have now.

An interesting line of thought, for sure. Kind of the more "practical" side of the whole alien question; business.

wheels sometimes you come up with the craziest stuff I've ever heard.

Mars, aliens, space travel etc is this Sheldon Cooper???

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Seriously though Fortis, you don't think there'd be some complaining if aliens arrived and started mining Mars without our permission? Or the MOON? I have no doubt people would be upset if they started mining the Moon, yeah it sounds stupid, but we on Earth view the Moon as "ours!"

An interesting line of thought, for sure. Kind of the more "practical" side of the whole alien question; business.

That's one thing I've always wondered, aliens on another world would technically have to be a tool-making animal. So they would probably look humanoid. They would have big brains and likely hands for making tools.

One would then imagine they'd be governed by the same laws of economics we humans are: fear, greed, trade, etc...and since central economic planning doesn't work on Earth, one could imagine it wouldn't work with aliens either, so I doubt we would encounter the Soviet Union-equivalent of aliens arriving. They'd likely be from something like a republic and probably for commerce reasons. The big threat would be if it was an alien world big corporation that tried to harm us humans and the home planet wasn't aware (basically like with the humans to the Na'vi in Avatar).

Can we really say that there are not aliens mining other planets in OUR solar system already? There could be ships mining half the planets in our system today and we dont really have the technology to even see it let alone do anything about it. Plus if you think we should be pissed, how do you think the martians will feel!!

We could say whatever we want. If they have the technology to get here and mars they have the technology to wipe us out. We couldn't even get an army to mars to stop them.

This question of mine isn't about what makes sense remember, it's about psychology. A LOT of people became VERY upset when Pluto was officially declared not to be a planet anymore, including professional astronomers, even though Pluto is technically an ice dwarf that is part of a massive population of small ice dwarfs in the outer regions of the Solar System; one was actually slightly bigger.

Nonetheless, many were upset that Pluto had lost its planet status.

So if people get upset over that kind of stuff, I think many would be upset if aliens just started mining Mars too, and especially if they messed with the Moon. I figured I would ask on LPower to see how people here would feel.

Id tell them to mine uranus...

haha

Let's here what Romandad & BMWRACER have to say first.

posted a second before you

... and it sounds like Aliens are mining here.

Id tell them to mine uranus...

:iamwithstupid:

3 of us spent an hour trying to analyse your rational on this subject and came to the simple conclusion...

Your nutz son!