SPEED IN GEARS

I 47mph

II 66

III 89

IV 112

V 141

VI 173

VII 202

I've been meaning to put up my thoughts of driving the 458 for an afternoon, just been super busy but here it is a week or 2 later.

Some people like the look, other don't, its a subjective rating. I personally really like it. I'm not of fan of it in red at all but again that's just an opinion. Black would be my choice.

Inside. By moving the A pillars to the back of the fenders, Ferrari has really done a great job with your field of view. It really improves all around vision but makes placing the car in turns so much easier. I found the seats well supported and comfortable. The cabin is very open with a surprising amount of room. To me it has a very updated and modern look as well. The wheel and gauge lay out have a lot going on. I love the shape and thickness of the wheel, and all the controls on it are fine, however the turn signals don't do it for me. Its a minor pain in the ass. The car I drove had the LED shift lights across the top of the wheel, I would ditch those. No need, and distracting. But the over all feel of the cabin is great. Good balance for short hard drives and long distance jaunts.

So I got to take it around LA and up into the canyons. The first thing you notice is the transmission. The is no jerky crap and lurching at lights and stop signs. Then when you do get into it and really hammer it, the shifts are insane. Ripping at 2-3-4 shifts at 9000 rpms is amazing and for a stock exhaust sound nuts. I had the car in Race mode the whole time but played with the suspension setting. Over some of the bumpy LA roads I would switch it to soft and was surprised how well it drove. As I drove it, the thing the that stood out is that Ferrari really put together the entire package. The car performed above my expectations. I thought it would be good, just not this good. (those were also the thoughts of my close friend who owns Lamborghini Newport Beach as well) The car is highly usable in all situations you would want. It's easy enough to drive daily and when you want to go canyon ripping its right there with a flick of a switch.

Speed wise, I would say, by my seat of the pants, its the exact same as the 570 SL. The numbers posted in Automobile seem high. This months Top Gear magazine has a great comparison on the 458-570-LFA-GT3RS-SLS that to me was very on point. None the less, its a very fast car and after about 10 minutes in the car, I turned to my friend and told him I think a lot of these are going to get wrecked. It's a huge leap up from a 430.

Ferrari nailed it. One of the best cars I have driven.

134 mph trap speeds is INSANE. I guess it will be only a matter of time before owners get some runs of thier own to confirm what they really trap. My guess is that in the real world, it's probably a high 120 car (127-129) and on par with a Camel Clunge aka ZR1.

134 seems really fast ... but then 30-70 (4.2 seconds) seems really slow. My car does 40-70 in 2.2 seconds, I reckon I would do 30-70 in 4.0 seconds at most.

No way its a 134 trap speed car.

Like I said, its as fast as a 570 SL. Somewhere between 126-128 depending on conditions.

No way its a 134 trap speed car.

Like I said, its as fast as a 570 SL. Somewhere between 126-128 depending on conditions.

:iamwithstupid:

134 seems really fast ... but then 30-70 (4.2 seconds) seems really slow. My car does 40-70 in 2.2 seconds, I reckon I would do 30-70 in 4.0 seconds at most.

Depends on what gear they were in.

0-100 in 6.4??

Not possible in this car.

After seeing what the DCT/PDK trannies have done to the GTR and 911 Turbo I tend to believe the numbers are possible on a special track with perfect conditions. The first few gears are short and accelerate Mclaren F1 fast but the power difference is seen as the speed climbs. It drops off in the higher gears whereas the Mclaren screamed to 138-140mph in a few tests. Hp difference is seen on the big end.. Imho these types of trannies make the seemingly impossible possible until the higher gears where its mostly hp doing the talking. Could also be a ringer as some mentioned as its been done to death by many mfg in the past.