7.4 earthquake in New Zealand

Roman

Was Cantwait2 another user from NZ? I remember he posted his fantastic story aaaaaages ago..

hope all the NZ members are safe and fine :unsure:

I just landed in NZ, in Auckland for TVNZ, mad rush yesterday (Saturday), as all the news crews grabbed all their stuff and ran down there. Very lucky, only two injured (Kiwi's not newsmen), most of the power back on in Christchurch. Lucky escape.

Strolled past Lamborghini Auckland last night. One used 2005 Murci, NZ$375K, that's £160K or US$240K... Ther beer's expesnive here too.

Have a friend in Christchurch. Just called him up a few hours ago. Both land-line & cel work which is a good sign. Reached him, he & his family sounded scared but were all ok. A few broken vases and fallen cabinets but no structural damages to the house. He said downtown had a few fallen buildings (partially fallen, not total collapse) and some houses in several residential areas were damaged but the fortunate thing is no fatality so far.

Anything 7 or above is serious serious shake. Hope our Kiwi friends are all okay.

Hi all

Thank you for your attention. This is probably the only way to get the world to notice, there is a place near the bottom of the earth called Christchurch/New Zealand.

Well, I was bored on Fri night couldn't sleep. Around 4.30 am(Sat) I was playing Command and Conquer General Zero Hours, Using USA Super weapon General, built shxt loads of Particle Cannons and Cannoned the shit out of my opponents. I was pretty into it.

Then all the sudden, the fxxkin floor started shaking, I went WTF, What hell did I do? Is this game Actually Real????

Ok, neither way, It's probably a good idea to hide my ass under this desk.

So the first bit of shaking(7.4) lasted for like 30s-1min, and as I was just about to come out and stretch myself abit , the second one(7.1) came, again lasted 30s-1min.

There were very intensive aftershocks in the first 30mins-1hr, and for the first 6hours,you can feel the aftershocks every 10-20mins also.

I am getting a aftershock as I'm writing this sentence.

Well, although the Country and Canterbury Region has activated the State of Emergency/Civil Defense, There weren't any serious stuff going on, mostly just property damange, over hundreds millions of dollars. So yeh all the insurance companies are Fxxked.

The Blackout was bit freaky, because it was so Dark like you got lost in the Universe, or like Silent Hill, We can't cook and heat,( I will differently get some gas cookers/BBQ). Well, I was Watching Top Gear on my cell tho. Power came back on few hours later in most Areas. Sadly My friend house Still got no electricity.

We were very lucky because most our buildings are just 1 story houses(no damage at all in most houses and modern buildings). 7.4 sounded like hell but it was actually very soft, it was like a boat floating in shallow water with moderate waves. Thanks to the layer of rocks under this plate we are sitting on(not entirely sure about this).

Compare to Yu Shu Earth quake in China, which was about the same Magnitude, there was 2500 death.Was it really because the quality of the buildings? Yes, it probably was, but seriously I don't know.

For me, All I can remember is last night(Sat) I went to number of AfterShock Parties, Made some real nice friends, and we were all in my car on the way to get Maccs and got pulled over by police because my car just looks like a Drunk Driving White Trash Boys Racer Tyre Smoker Drug Dealer Stolen Gangster Vehicle ( I got used to it , it's like a routine check for me now).

Too much publicity here, I would rather pay more attention to that plane crash caused 9 death on the same day, which unfortunately it was in the South Island too.

I just landed in NZ, in Auckland for TVNZ, mad rush yesterday (Saturday), as all the news crews grabbed all their stuff and ran down there. Very lucky, only two injured (Kiwi's not newsmen), most of the power back on in Christchurch. Lucky escape.

Strolled past Lamborghini Auckland last night. One used 2005 Murci, NZ$375K, that's £160K or US$240K... Ther beer's expesnive here too.

You a Earth Quake Expert or? Are you coming to Christchurch?

• 5 months later...

Shit... They got hit again....

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News...ts-Christchurch

One blog entry says New Zealand's TV3 is reporting the Pyne Gould financial services building has collapsed. Another, unsubstantiated report claims that the cathedral has collapsed.The New Zealand Press Association reported that the TVNZ building in Christchurch had collapsed. And there's an entry that a facade of a building in downtown Christchurch has collapsed on a bus, injuring passengers. NZTV is reporting at least one fatality.

Christchurch resident Jane Smith who works in the central city told the Herald a work colleague had just returned from helping rescue efforts after a building facade had collapsed on a bus on Colombo St.

"There's people dead. He was pulling them out of a bus."

"Columbo St is completely munted."

"We can't move at the moment because the city's gridlocked."

Yeh, oK this time seems bit more serious. There're some death and missing people etc.

I live in auckland now since last earth quake!

I spent quite a bit of time in Christchurch years go..as its we used to fly in there a lot for military missions, and its the hub for antarctic missions...I hope everyone is ok..the news looks forboding though...

This one was much more shallow. Latest details here... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/

PM said 65 confirmed dead so far.

TVNZ... http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/live-updat...h-quake-4038261

Live radio... http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/

People underestimate the importance of depth.... I was in a 2.3 earthquake once... But it was centered (literally) under my neighborhood at a depth of 6 miles.... Nobody else in the region felt it....

I was knocked off a ladder and had the dishes fly off the shelves.

Yeah sounds like things are pretty serious.

More buildings down this times by the looks of things.

As mentioned death toll stands at 65 after only a few hours. Reckon its going to climb way higher sadly.

Hope that any members down there are ok.

Damn those people need a rest from all the deasters.

The whole world does.

The pictures looked pretty bad from Good Morning America this morning...Odd, but I never thought of NZ having earthquakes, despite having had now, 2 major ones in the last 6 months or so...

had few after major after shocks since the first earth quake.

in fact, last boxing day the had over a mangitude 5 after shock.

and yesterday's aftershock was actually much worse than the first earth quake itself.

RIP. I am trying to get my big boss to send me down there to help!

Anyone know how the guy with the WRX or Evo in his Avatar is? I dont even remember his name now.