Underground Racing Twin Turbo Build Documentary

houstonT

I wasn't sure what section to post this in given the fact that it's Gallardo based...I ended up posting it in General given the fact that this thread is an unbiased and public documentary of my Lamborghini journey. It happens to overlap the Gallardo world, the modding world, and happens to include a full and unbiased story on one of the most well known vendors in the Lamborghini world. I hope the mods are ok with this here.

It all started back in March of 2010 at TX2K10...I had heard about how badass Twin Turbo Gallardo's were, but never experienced one in person. All it took was once glance, and I was in love with SW's black Gallardo TT. I knew right then and there, that it would only be a matter of time before I went out and purchased my own. Fast forward a few days :) I call SW at Elite Motorsports in Austin, TX and tell him...find me a low mile black Gallardo! Of all the people that know me and understand my OCD when it comes to my cars, SW knew EXACTLY what I was looking for. He tells me to be patient (yea right), and a few weeks after, he calls and informs me that he found a 2005 6-speed Metallic Black/Saddle Gallardo with 1,852 miles on the odometer. That weekend, I pack up the family and take a "family excursion" to Austin. :)

...I proceed to inform my wife that we were making a "pit stop" at Elite Motorsports to look at a car. LOL, little did my wife know I was about to buy a G. So, as you can imagine...we roll up, the car has only 1,852 miles on her, clear bra on the front bumper, whole hood, both front fenders, up the a-pillars, behind the rear tires, etc......and I immediately fall in love and say to SW "I'll take it"!!!

Here is what she looked like:

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

The car arrives in Houston a week or so later and within a week I call SW and tell him "sell me your 20" ADV's!!!!" 5 days later, she looks like this:

photo44.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo33.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once I got the looks the way I wanted, I start the research process on who I was going to send the car to for the twin turbo, built motor, etc... Of course, when thinking GTT, everyone thinks Underground Racing, and to be honest, that was the first shop that came to mind. Having said that, I wanted to be methodical about my decision and so I considered Underground Racing, Heffner, BoostLogic, Levin and . Things that were important to me included:

1. Quality

2. Reliability

3. Workmanship

4. Reputation

5. History

6. Proven record on the street and track

At the end of the day, I decided that only Underground Racing (www.undergroundracing.com) could deliver what I was looking for. They are the only shop that has enough confidence in their product to put it center stage on every car forum, at the drag strip, at the TX Mile, etc....they went out and ran a 9.1@169 at the strip on street tires...they went out and took the standing mile world record with a 250.1 mph pass at the March TX mile...and they currently have the 6-speed 60-130 record with a 3.51 second pass. I respect the fact that they go out, race, innovate, learn and continue to get better. They are always eager to post results and detailed pics, even to the detriment of their business as they post so many details that they give the competition a head start. It seems to me that they are always a step ahead though... They have approximately 30 twin turbo builds out on the streets and have a shop FULL of cars. That in itself is a statement. Back to my OCD, having just shipped the car to them, the feedback and communication I've gotten from Kevin and KC has exceeded my expectations. Everyone knows I am pretty freakin high maintenance and they have been nothing short of professional in dealing with my ADD! :D

The beginning of my documentary...I called Kevin and said, come get my car, it's time. A few days later, the transport shows up:

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

How long are they going to have your car? What stage or HP are you going to have them do? I really want to get a TT but I should at least get a couple of mine sold before I do that. I am looking forward to more on your cars progress.

RHershey - I am being told about 6 weeks (although Kevin did tell me 6-8 weeks I keep posting and praying for 6) :)

I ended up going with the stage 3 kit, plus a UGR Tilton clutch and the UGR billet axles. I figure 1,000 rwhp on pump gas will do the trick 99.9999999% of the time, and if need be, I can put race in her and run 1,300 all day.

Peter

The G is looking mean as heck now...I can only imagine what it will be like when you get it back!!!!!!

I hope you knwo what you're getting into...lol. 1K AWHP is NO joke!!! Hope you enjoy.

Good choice, although in my opinion for the price of a 05 G + the TT Kit I would get a used 2010 gallardo with the same mileage / price but to each his own...

The G is looking mean as heck now...I can only imagine what it will be like when you get it back!!!!!!

I hope you knwo what you're getting into...lol. 1K AWHP is NO joke!!! Hope you enjoy.

He's owned many 1XXX cars...this one will be a cake walk in comparison thanks to the awd! I'll be following these steps before long. Seems like the perfect next step for me...

I own a 1K RWHP supra and a 939 AWHP on pump TTG-SL( built by UGR) the TTG is far more easy to drive than the supra.

enjoy your new ride Peter!!

wheel - thanks man, I can't wait!

BLACKBULL - I've been around high HP machines for 10 years now...I've had 13 Supra's, the most powerful of which made 1,100 rwhp...I also had a 510 ci TT RSI Viper that made over 1,400 rwhp. In other words, yes, I do know what I'm getting into. LOL :)

MrRicer - I do appreciate your opinion, but the problem with getting a new LP560 is that it's still slow (relatively speaking...see my response above to BLACKBULL). The last thing I want is to spend all that jack and have a car that is slower than a basic bolt on Viper/Supra/(pick your car)... I am going for looks and power and simply couldn't afford to go LP560 with the full TT build...

LamboGator - I went with 20's for no other reason but looks....they just look so damn good IMO. I know traction will be an issue at full bore and I might buy a set of HRE's with R888's down the road.

topcarbon - yup, that is my goal! :)

Red - I fell in love with the wheels when I saw them on SW's car at the mile in March...at that time, I knew I had to have them. Not to mention, given that my car is that black metallic color, the wheels match perfectly.

oufan - LOL, you must know me! :D

Blowzilla - I've followed pics of your car from afar, it's GORGEOUS! I think what many ppl don't understand is how difficult a 1,000+rwhp Supra is to handle at full bore. Those cars are just difficult to drive at those power levels and so I'm looking fwd to a tame 1,000+whp from the G!

Keep checking back, I'm going to make sure everyone considering a UGR TT/engine build knows exactly what the process is like from an owner's standpoint.

Peter

LamboGator - I went with 20's for no other reason but looks....they just look so damn good IMO. I know traction will be an issue at full bore and I might buy a set of HRE's with R888's down the road.

" Might" is not an option.... I have had two 1000-rwhp Supra's and just sold one to get my UGR TT kit on my G. The 19"s with R888's is a must, it is different when you know you could be hooking up all four wheels and getting that extra speed. :icon_mrgreen:

Guest SP_LOTTA MURCI

" Might" is not an option.... I have had two 1000-rwhp Supra's and just sold one to get my UGR TT kit on my G. The 19"s with R888's is a must, it is differeent when you know you could be hooking up all four wheels and getting that extra speed. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid:

Scotty, you are right, I'm actually in the process of looking at HRE styles and am down to either the C95 or the C21...matte black center, black barrel and high polish black lip. Your thoughts on the wheel styles?

Scotty, you are right, I'm actually in the process of looking at HRE styles and am down to either the C95 or the C21...matte black center, black barrel and high polish black lip. Your thoughts on the wheel styles?

Love them both, put up a picture of your car. That will give us a better idea.

These are kind of similar to the C21's for a bit less coin. I love the matte black/gloss black combo! These are the wheels I want to put on the viper and possibly a Gallardo when I get one. Although HRE's and Gallardo's just go together... I'm a dealer for Forgelines if you do like that wheel... But honestly not my reason for posting. I just thought the two looked similar and thought it was funny you were wanting the matte/gloss black combo. My favorite look on a wheel right now...

forgelinega3rs.jpg

LAMBO - no, I have Pirelli tires on the wheels....SW says they hook 1,000 whp on concrete in 3rd so we'll see.

Scotty - what do you mean? I have 10 or so pics of my car in the first 2 posts...???

outfan - that is a very good looking wheel...email me pricing and specs... I'm very particular about the offsets and sizing.

Peter