Who the **** is Tyler Perry

Dr. Noisewater

How far would we get with a movie titled " Four White Women"

I always thought the same thing. If you plug the word white into a lot of titles its sounds bad. There are too many to mention. Link to some of them

I bet in other countries that Caucasian people are the minority they do not have the ability to have the cultural leeway that the US gives. Im not sure about Europe.

BTW on a side note, I am about as far from being a racist as a person can be. So don't take this post the wrong way.

United Negro College Fund vs United White College Fund

Miss Black America vs Miss White America

Black Entertainment Television(BET) vs White Entertainment Television(WET)

Congressional Black Caucus vs Congressional White Caucus

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People(NAACP) vs National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP)

Ebony Magazine vs Ivory Magazine

I'm not sure if Tyler Perry makes anything but "black" movies.

And on the topic of movies with the name "white", it's been done already:

All he makes is movies only about Black people... He is a racist POS.... I never have, nor will I ever watch any of his movies... Not to mention they look incredibly stupid.

I've read that its based on a book/broadway play written 30-40 years ago called ''For Colored Girls Who've Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuff''. It was written during a time when black women got absolutely NO public media exposure. Nothing wrong with a little history about african american woman (and a movie that they may be able to relate to).

With that said, I'm sure the movie is meant for everyone, but Tyler Perry movies do not interest me at all.

I agree. I dont see white people in any of his movies. I have a feeling I'd be in the theater watching and everyone would start laughing and I'd be like "what the hell did that just mean".

While I'm no Tyler P fan boy, his history is remarkable no matter his thematic nuances. Assuming he has a political agenda or social agenda, which, not having seen his movies, I can in no way attest, his "pull himself up by the bootstrap" story is nothing short of remarkable. I kind of figured with all the chit chat about a fellow L power member's "how to succeed" book there would be an appreciation for someone who lived in is car, had absolutely nothing, and recognizing his talents, managed to have a financially rewarding career.

He is black and I am white. He knows what takes place in black families, I know what takes place in many white families, culturally. So, if I chose to write a film about a family's or cultural issue, it would be from a white person's perspective.....and not because I'm a racist, but because it is simply what I know. He capitalizes on his knowledge and creative talents. Surprised at the racist comments being played out, because I abhor when it is thrown towards whites as a knee jerk or politically motivated charge when baseless.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled L power programming.

While I'm no Tyler P fan boy, his history is remarkable no matter his thematic nuances. Assuming he has a political agenda or social agenda, which, not having seen his movies, I can in no way attest, his "pull himself up by the bootstrap" story is nothing short of remarkable. I kind of figured with all the chit chat about a fellow L power member's "how to succeed" book there would be an appreciation for someone who lived in is car, had absolutely nothing, and recognizing his talents, managed to have a financially rewarding career.

He is black and I am white. He knows what takes place in black families, I know what takes place in many white families, culturally. So, if I chose to write a film about a family's or cultural issue, it would be from a white person's perspective.....and not because I'm a racist, but because it is simply what I know. He capitalizes on his knowledge and creative talents. Surprised at the racist comments being played out, because I abhor when it is thrown towards whites as a knee jerk or politically motivated charge when baseless.

Finally, a respectable and well thought out response in this thread :icon_thumleft:

I don't think people have issues with the type of movies he makes, I think it's what they're called.

For Colored Girls doesn't really sound PC...

What if the Modern Family show on ABC was called Modern White Family... everyone in it is white, so might as well...

I just saw "why did I get married too" a couple weeks ago. It really wasnt bad. Maybe when we set our expectations low, we get more than we expect.

I am white. Although everyone in the movie was black, their lifestyle was more white than what I am used to. I felt I could relate to them more than some. The movie was great "relationship" movie.

Either way, I think he is about as rich as opra.

I just saw "why did I get married too" a couple weeks ago. It really wasnt bad. Maybe when we set our expectations low, we get more than we expect.

I am white. Although everyone in the movie was black, their lifestyle was more white than what I am used to. I felt I could relate to them more than some. The movie was great "relationship" movie.

Either way, I think he is about as rich as opra.

Dude has some serious $$

He's got plays, 2 shows on TBS, and his movies are low budget giant cash cows. He also owns a movie studio i think.

I don't think people have issues with the type of movies he makes, I think it's what they're called.

For Colored Girls doesn't really sound PC...

What if the Modern Family show on ABC was called Modern White Family... everyone in it is white, so might as well...

Ok...IF that was the premise, which IT IS NOT, you could position an argument based on intentional, and perhaps, derogatory, terminology in an effort to raise what......awareness of the issues that plagued a group of women during the turbulent times of their lives and perhaps the intersection of their personal ills with those of a society which may or may not have viewed them stereotypically???? This country has come quite a ways from the 60s and 70s with regards to a race.

BUT, the name is NOT A REFERENCE TO SKIN COLOR, but the color of garments the ladies wear which correlates to such white insensitive topics as, wait for it, abortion, love, and domestic violence. And T.P. did not originally write the TONY AWARD WINNING PLAY.

SO, if they decide to rename Modern Family, Modern White Family due to the fact they all face the exact same dilemma and all wear white, then go for it.

I've got to much work to do to keep this on the right track. If you guys want to debate this then have it, but do so with a drop of knowledge or the lack there-of may report you rightly or wrongly as ignorant. Hey, did you here there is a new Lambo V 12 ????

I'm sure it all makes sense in the context of the movie... a bit more research next time on my part promised.

It can't be denied though, that there are double standards when it comes to PCness in regards to race.

I think the following column sums up the arguments in this thread quite nicely.

http://drtoddboyd.blogspot.com/2009/10/tyl...rug-dealer.html

There are chemical drugs that alter the mind and and then there are drugs like those ignorant-ass, handkerchief head movies and television programs that TP releases under his banner. Movies and television shows that paint black people as a bunch of overly religious, jive-talkin' clowns, in bad clothes.

Yet, in spite of the demeaning stereotypes and utter disregard for black humanity, TP's dope has some people reluctant to criticize him. Many point to TP's money and success and in turn use this to justify their support of his nefarious enterprise. No one is crazy enough to actually try and defend the garbage that he puts out, so praising his business success allows them to shift the focus away from the amateurish flicks that he makes.

-Dr. Todd Boyd

Scholar, Author, Media Commentator, and Co-writer/producer of "The Wood" (1999), "Dr. B" holds The Katherine and Frank Price Endowed Chair for the Study of Race and Popular Culture in the USC School of Cinematic Arts. His seven books include, "The Notorious Ph.D.'s Guide to the Super Fly 70s" (2007), "Young Black Rich and Famous" (2003), "The New H.N.I.C." (2002), and "Am I Black Enough For You?" (1997).

Yeah- He's a black guy.

sidenote: Blacks are a lot more vocal about being religious, there was a study done on it, in dating applications it is #1 or 2 word they use the most to describe themselves