My UGR Verde Ithaca Gallardo TT Build

basupra

Back in late '09 at the Texas Mile I saw SW's and Kyles UGR Gallardo TT's for the first time in person. To say I was impressed would be a vast understatement. The build quality was impeccable, OEM quality or better. If you have not seen one in person, you are missing out. They are truly a work of art. I knew then that I would have to have one. SW didn't have time at the mile to take me for a spin in his, so I had to wait until the TX Supra meet the following March to take my first ride in a UGR TT Gallardo. As soon as I saw SW at the meet, I was on him to get me that ride!! Of course he obliged, and we went out on the Mexican highway for a few quick blasts. His car had the 1000whp pump gas kit on it at the time. We were just on the pump gas setting and the car was just insane!! I have ridden in/driven some pretty fast cars, but this car took it to another level, as it drove like a STOCK car until you laid into it. No weird noises, no weird vibrations, no loud as hell exhaust, just a glorious V10 roar!! I was hooked!!

Fast forward to November '10. I conversed with Kevin at Underground and my good friend Peter Blach and told them that I had found two possible candidates for my project. One was a yellow '05 manual car with clear bonnet, power/heated seats and yellow calipers with only 2k miles. The other car was a 1 owner '05 Verde Ithaca Gallardo with 6k miles with clear bonnet, power/heated seats, and a new clutch. Both cars were priced about the same. Kevin told me hands down to get the Verde car. He said the color is by far his favorite of all the Lambo colors. I was hesitant, as I had never seen the color in person, but I trusted his choice on the matter.

Lucky for me the car was located in Oregon, where John Reed lives. He has been around these cars for over two years now, so it was a logical choice to have him inspect the car for me. I give John a call to see if he could check the car out for me. Being the great person he is, he promptly checked the car out for me and gave it the thumbs up. Another call to Kevin, and he had it picked up in a few days and on the road to Charlotte. I can't think John enough for checking the car out for me during his hectic schedule. I owe you a few beers John (or fruity drinks like what Kevin drinks :doh:).

I'm sure most of you have seen Peters build thread. We both had originally planned to get the stage 2.5 kit from UGR. Of course that all changed when he got his car there!! He has since decided to basically go "all" out now!!

At this time, I will be sticking to the stage 2.5. Hopefully 1250whp will be enough :rockon:. We will also be doing a custom E85 setup on my car, so that basically I will be on "kill" at all times. I believe this will be the first "go green" Gallardo as well!!

I will update this thread as much as possible throughout the build. I don't have too many pictures yet, as I have not even seen the car in person!!

Here are some pictures from purchase and loading it to get "the treatment".

ING_7823.jpg

xxl-11861818113649639886.jpg

ING_8458.jpg

xxl-51434157464455943434.jpg

ING_8459.jpg

ING_8465.jpg

Here are some motorless pics!!

greencar001.jpg

greencar002.jpg

More updates to follow!!

Tim

the first GTT on E85! I've been considering it....

Go big or go home. E98(116 octane) FTW.

105 octane ethanol at about $2/gallon

It is also more corrosive towards rubber O-rings and fuel lines. So if the fuel system isn't made of the right components to handle this that also needs to be upgraded. Also fuel consumption is higher with Ethanol gas.

105 octane ethanol at about $2/gallon

Yes, that part I know.. What I wanna know is what is involved in the conversion..power levels..etc

Yes, that part I know.. What I wanna know is what is involved in the conversion..power levels..etc

Ethanol has been used in many other turbocharged applications for quite some time now. The notion that it eats away any fuel system components is just hearsay from my experience over the last 5+ years. You will need 20-30% more fuel system capacity than on dino fuel. Ethanol does not produce as many BTUs per unit. The general consensus is that you get the knock suppression of 105-110 octane gasoline, it burns cleaner and is less expensive. John Reed tuned my old EVO on E85 and I had nothing but stellar drivability (a John Reed signature!) and rock solid reliability on 28 PSI daily. Love the ethanol!

Ethanol has been used in many other turbocharged applications for quite some time now. The notion that it eats away any fuel system components is just hearsay from my experience over the last 5+ years. You will need 20-30% more fuel system capacity than on dino fuel. Ethanol does not produce as many BTUs per unit. The general consensus is that you get the knock suppression of 105-110 octane gasoline, it burns cleaner and is less expensive. John Reed tuned my old EVO on E85 and I had nothing but stellar drivability (a John Reed signature!) and rock solid reliability on 28 PSI daily. Love the ethanol!

what is the down side?

Tim - You might have to settle for being second to have an E85 TTG. :icon_mrgreen:

We will have to wait and see!! It was atleast my idea first!!

Info on E85 tunes please?

The car should make about the same power on E85 as it would on C16 or equivalent. You will need a bigger fuel system all the way around though, and obviously a custom tune done as well.

Go big or go home. E98(116 octane) FTW.

It is also more corrosive towards rubber O-rings and fuel lines. So if the fuel system isn't made of the right components to handle this that also needs to be upgraded. Also fuel consumption is higher with Ethanol gas.

E85 will be plenty for my build. Also I have not personally seen any deterioration of any fuel components from running E85 in my Supra for the past 2+years.

Good enough info here. E85 is good stuff indeed.

what is the down side?

Only real downside is the availability is limited, sometimes it can be hard to find.

Tim

Tim, you haven't seen any deterioration in your Supra fuel components for the last 2 years b/c the Supra has only actually run for a total of 10 days in that 2 years!!!!!! Hahhhahahaha :)

Peter

what is the down side?

Only real downside is the availability is limited, sometimes it can be hard to find.

Tim

:iamwithstupid:

There are several stations with E85 at the pump in my area and it still requires some pre-planning. If you are in an area with limited or no access, storing 55 gallon drums and pumping yourself is an option.

Here is a good site for tracking down pumps in your area - http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.html

Not all stations with E85 in the NW are on that site so doing a little local research is a good idea to make your life easier. It takes a bit of dedication, but is well worth the effort IMO. If you are somewhat savvy and can carry a laptop, John Reed can build you a pump gas map and show you how to switch to it yourself if an emergency fill up is ever necessary.

@ basupra,

I'm not sure I could think of a nastier livable street car than an ethanol fueled TTG. Congrats!

Tom

E85 will be plenty for my build. Also I have not personally seen any deterioration of any fuel components from running E85 in my Supra for the past 2+years.

Tim

I havent personally seen it, but very good friends that I trust completely have. Mainly in pickups where people just do a different tune and in some cases bigger injectors(but not always) and think thats enough for doing an E85 conversion.

Its great stuff for high performance applications just make sure to do it right when you do it. Now for a the way the EPA and corn grower lobbyist pushing it for use in all cars that is not a good.

Also the Government currently subsidies Ethanol fuels at like $0.45 a gallon. This was recently extended for another two years, who knows whats going to happen with it after that. But even then if you add $0.45 to the price it is still cheaper then buying 105 octane straight gasoline. A buddy of mine sells racing fuel, currently his 106 octane is around $6/gallon.

Tim, you haven't seen any deterioration in your Supra fuel components for the last 2 years b/c the Supra has only actually run for a total of 10 days in that 2 years!!!!!! Hahhhahahaha :)

Peter

Its still been in the tank and sitting in the lines for those two years!! I'm not here to say that it won't ever be a problem, just giving my own personal experience is all. I'm sure I will be more cautious with it in the G with how expensive its engine is compared to a Supra. I will be sure to run some regular fuel in it from time to time to "flush" the system.

Tim

Your idea first - my idea first. Either way we will both have badass TTG's running around on corn.

I can run down to the local ethanol plant and have them fill drums of E98 or E85 for me. We can get pump E85 for only about 2 months then it goes down to as low as E70.

Your idea first - my idea first. Either way we will both have badass TTG's running around on corn.

I can run down to the local ethanol plant and have them fill drums of E98 or E85 for me. We can get pump E85 for only about 2 months then it goes down to as low as E70.

Glad to see you over here Eric!

• 1 month later...

Either way it retains the same octane rating of 106 wether it is e70 or e85. Also Zeitronix sells a e85 % sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer and closer!! Kevin and gang hope to have it done this Wednesday for initial tuning. I also went ahead and did headwork, Tilton, and axles. So I just need a Motec and gears to be able to safely make 1500+whp.

Tim

motor1.jpg