The Official "What should Roman do with this Pile Of Shit Garmin Nuvi GPS unit?" thread

Roman

So.... I go to turn on my GPS unit this morning, to make sure its all charged up for my trip..... I get a screen that says "Map Update Notice" and a "suggestion" that I buy a new map.

I dont need a new map... The old one works fine....

So I go ti hit the "OK" button, and it doesnt work... Touch screen is fcuking dead.

Do some googling and this apppears to be how Garmin makes sure they get another $80 out of you every year... They brick your fcuking GPS unit...

So I call Garmin... The guy on the phone walks me through a "Hard reset" yeah.... That doesnt do shit....

"That unit will have to come in for repair"

I use this fcuking thing a few times a year when I travel.... And this is that time.... Im not sending the fcuking thing in for repair on my fcuking dime....

So 2 questions

Later today Ill probably go buy another one- WHAT SHOULD I GET?

and

How would you like to see me destroy this fcuking thing....

Give me some suggestion....

And Ill take photos of the aftermath and post them here.

Blow torch! then package up the ashes and mail it back to Garmin with a pic of it being torched and a polite letter telling them to die in a fire!

So far... This is the front runner....

1. Had no problems with Garmins. Assuming you want non-Garmin, you can pick this up instore from worstbuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Magellan+-+Roa...p;skuId=9894365

2. kill it "Office Space" method:

office-space-copier.jpg

With this running a close second....

target practice. Your guns are lonely.

That's why I have a TomTom :icon_mrgreen:

Is it better? do they pull this bullshit with the maps?

Is it better? do they pull this bullshit with the maps?

Yep! and honestly nope! I've had mine for more than a year and I get a message that it's "recommended" that I update my maps when I start it up but that's it. I like it MUCH better than the Garmin. I use it in Europe quite often as well without a hitch. I also find it easier to navigate the screens. Just my 2 cents.

Yep! and honestly nope! I've had mine for more than a year and I get a message that it's "recommended" that I update my maps when I start it up but that's it. I like it MUCH better than the Garmin. I use it in Europe quite often as well without a hitch. I also find it easier to navigate the screens. Just my 2 cents.

I take the boy to TKD at 4.... Costco and bestbuy are across the street.... If the state isnt under water by then I will check them out.

RomanDad, get this.

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inch-Port...7458&sr=8-1

Lifetime map update included. $20 bucks off with code, 1 day shipping free. Seems like a good deal.

"Right now, save an extra $20 on this GPS with coupon code SAV2OGPS. Simply add the GPS to your cart and enter SAV2OGPS in the promotional code field at checkout. But hurry while supplies last."

reviews are mixed, but I'm sure there are other units that offer lifetime maps too if you don't like this one.

Send it to ronin with a pipe bomb attached? Haha.
:lol2: We should leave that to Allan.....

Why are all the old folks so wound up? First the "My Gal" guy & now this Wronin guy...

Anywho...back to topic, my Nuvi has been alright so for...2 years.

What you should do is capture a vid of the Lambo running over the garmin!

Edit: Also more handphones are coming out with decent navi systems so you might want to check out the possibilities...

:iamwithstupid:

TomTom is the only way to go!

Hmm .. mine do a similar thing a few months back, if you want to bring it round I'll see if I can get it running (recommend you come in a boat mind you!)

In the past 6 years I've bought 5 TomToms units and they all still work flawlessly. Easy to use, finds the signal relatively quick, the later models have pretty great features and maps. I've tried several other brands, like Garmin and Sony, and I've found that the fluidity and usability of their systems just doesn't match up.

I have three Garmin units, I have never had a problem with them. I get the map update thing almost every time I turn them on. I just got past it and on with my day. I have used my father in laws Tom Tom. I was not as confident with it. That is just me though. I am biased too, when I buy something I always try to buy things from companies that sponsor cycling teams/events. That is why the Garmin is in my house, but with that said it has never let me down either.

Garmin makes great personal GPS units (for hiking, hunting, etc) and good Aviation units, but their auto units suck.

TomTom is the way to go.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and sometimes when I take it on travel, it takes like 10-15 minutes to locate where it is. Usually I have to restart it a couple times. I have a Droid X though so I find myself using that for GPS now anyways.

i drove over a sony unit I had - it sucked dick - I got out the car, stuck it under the front drivers wheel and drove over it- then reversed and went forward again.

Even though I was totally lost I had a smile on my face the rest of the day.