"The Habitable Spaces" crazy ideas thread and my fun project.

Fortis

Love your ideas, Fortis! This kind of thinking is certainly inspiring. Look forward to the updates.

As for crazy ideas, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to one day build a house where the GARAGE is the focal point of the entire space...i.e. everything is designed around the garage/car space and the "living" portions of the house are integrated around the garage/cars in a classy, yet functional way. Kinda like how fancy car dealerships have their showrooms laid out, only this is your house/estate.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A wine room/cellar all glass and refrigerated but people could walk around it in the middle of a large living room and admire it like a sculpture or painting.

A glass wine tower like how they have in some restaurants. Going from the 1st floor to your 2nd or 3rd floor all the way to the ceiling you strap yourself in and zoom up to whichever bottle you want. It'd be fun and great display for yourself and entertaining guests.

A cantilevered subterranean garage for your cars that as you go down to it from the inside of your house (think from the kitchen entry) you would go down a spiral staircase with each car on display under a spotlight on its own around the stairwell encased in glass like a crystal box. Or even better a small elevator. All glassed out like Willy Wonka's joint. Very James Bond.....I know it's probably hard to picture. When I have time, I will try to do a sketch of it.

Fortis is talking about normal people entry level homes not multi-millionaire entry level homes. haha... Although he hasn't given many details I think the whole idea is extremely affordable, quickly built, and efficient homes for the masses.

A wine room/cellar all glass and refrigerated but people could walk around it in the middle of a large living room and admire it like a sculpture or painting.

we have that in my Resort. It's like a 30 foot curved glass enclosure. I personally love it, but some people dint really care for wine.

This home configurator software thing (if done properly) could pay huge dividends too if sold to the right developers (Trump, the Related Group, etc).

As Internet savvy/tech savvy as people are these days, I think many people would enjoy going through and selecting what they want even if they don't buy a home. I know my wife and I would enjoy it.

You could go even as far as landscape design, adding various types of pools, built in barbeque sets, interior/exterior bar areas, etc.

Fortis is talking about normal people entry level homes not multi-millionaire entry level homes. haha... Although he hasn't given many details I think the whole idea is extremely affordable, quickly built, and efficient homes for the masses.

Ummmmmm try to start over again by reading the title of this thread. Then his last two sentances of the originl post, or better yet go back to where this subjedt started in the "Expensive Homes in the World thread".......That should get YOU up to speed.

This is about all of the above. :icon_thumleft:

Mike,

Doral right? You have any pics to post? Im going to the site now...

EDIT: awwww nothing on the site. post a pic if you have one. Id like to see that.

Here it is on the left in our fine dining restaurant. It actually curves much further than the column where it is cutoff.

The picture is available in high res on the photo site at www.doralimages.com

There is also a photo of a custom wine rack at the service bar of the same restaurant.

post-679-1294008861.jpg

Here it is on the left in our fine dining restaurant. It actually curves much further than the column where it is cutoff.

The picture is available in high res on the photo site at www.doralimages.com

There is also a photo of a custom wine rack at the service bar of the same restaurant.

Oh ok I've seen those before pretty cool. I know I didnt write it before, but I mean a suspended FLOATING cellar that people can not only around but inside as well, an actually refirdgerated structure that isnt touching the ground, you walk in where its cool, like a walk-in humidor. As a matter fo fact a suspended humidor would be sick as well.

To break it down, my ideal home would have (without mentioning the detailed aspect of each item):

A walk-in humidor

Walk-in wine and champagne cellar (1000+ bottles) subterranean

Seperate tequila and vodka cellars/freezer (obviously for the colder temperatures) subterranean

Full Gym/weight room

Putting greens and sand traps w/approach fairways to the greens (100yds max).

Video Room Driving Range

Seperate Cinema

6 - 10 car garage (Subterranean) and GLASS :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

falling waterfountain from the roof into the main pool out the back of the home. Vanishing edge into the horizon of the ocean

along with a few other things.........wow this thread has my juices flowing, I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow now! Gotta.........Work...............Harder....................

my initial post is very long and I know it can be confusing, there are two parts to it:

Part 1 of the post has to do with one of my projects and you are right we will be building for the masses, highly energy efficient affordable homes.

Part 2 has to do with us coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas for habitable spaces, home, office, landscape etc.

I like the ideas, let's keep them coming.

LamboGator a friend of mine in Japan built his house along the lines you are talking about, with the cars being the focal point, he runs a small Caterham dealership out of it.

The place is phenomenal you are surrounded by Caterham and Lotus memorabilia he has an open bar and kitchen with a full time chef all his customers/friends eat there for free,they get together and socialize, the dealership is more of a hobby for him than a business.

I used to love hanging out at his place it felt like the most comfortable place on earth surrounded by all sorts of cool cars and carnuts, when they get together in the weekends you see all sorts of interesting cars in the car park.

Just in case anyone other than the Captain wonders what a Caterham is :icon_mrgreen:

1CaterhamTokyo2009.jpg

fcuking cardboard pieces of shit made by boring fucktarded boffin cretins.

I am guessing you don't like it :icon_mrgreen:

I was sharing similar views with yours until I went for a test drive in a 500 Superlight R.

I think someone at EVO just fainted

Aren't those pretty quick track cars, and a load of fun to drive? At least that's what I've heard.

Aren't those pretty quick track cars, and a load of fun to drive? At least that's what I've heard.

heaps of fun on the track

a crazy idea of a house layout I have:

a circular ultramodern house on 4 levels, three above ground plus one subterranean.

Underground level to house the garage, level 1 formal lounge + home office + guest area, level 2 dining and kitchen.level 3 living + entertainment

The circular garage to allow for two lanes one for driving one for parking, driving in forward and exiting forward by driving around in a circular motion.

All three above ground floors built as mezzanines so you can see from top level through to the garage also through some clever structural engineering and design to achieve a "floating" feel of each suspended floor.

Bedrooms, small satellites to be positioned away from the circular core of the house described above, self contained mini apartments (bed, bath + shower, small living) connected to the core of the house underground (garage access) by tunnels and above ground (main house access) by fully glazed walkways.

The whole of the development set in the middle of a rain forest like landscape.

:icon_mrgreen:

heaps of fun on the track

Oh they are great, if you can fit in them. Most normal people look like this in them though

impact-radio-control-mario-kart-donkey-k

And the people that drive and own them are seriously the most boring people on planet earth.

My glass shower enclosure in the master bedroom & en-suite. Allows me to check the wife is washing thoroughly. Hard to get done, couldn't find anyone to take on what I wanted. Had to get most oval freestanding enclosure and build the wall around it...

P1010078.JPG

P1010079.JPG

P1010080.JPG

P1010082.JPG

P1010074.JPG

Another bathroom. This is my favourite one. Bathroom TV, heated screen, so it doesn't mist. HDMI distribution throughout the house, from the Sky STB. Also note in lower picture, beautifully integrated Sky remote extender, inbetween the tiles... All new builds should have integrated tech, or at least the cabling & infrastructure for such. Tough to call in these tightened times, with margins squeezed on all developers..

P1010083.JPG

P1010084.JPG

Fortis, congrats on your accomplishments with this project...best of luck bud!

I'll have to think about some of these cool ideas and get back to ya later....they come to me and I forget to write them down.

But the one thing I always think about it, that's simple is a home (any price tag) with a functioning bar with 2 sinks, beer taps, soda guns, drawers of ice, speed rack, etc. just like any real bar. Nothing super exotic about it, but in all of my years watching Cribs and looking through Architectural Digest and this forum, I've NEVER seen anyone do it. :lol2:

Ok, maybe once I saw it on cribs with a guy who had a small little nightclub...but come on. :icon_mrgreen:

It would be cool. Make it happen for me. :icon_thumleft:

a crazy idea of a house layout I have:

a circular ultramodern house on 4 levels, three above ground plus one subterranean.

Underground level to house the garage, level 1 formal lounge + home office + guest area, level 2 dining and kitchen.level 3 living + entertainment

The circular garage to allow for two lanes one for driving one for parking, driving in forward and exiting forward by driving around in a circular motion.

All three above ground floors built as mezzanines so you can see from top level through to the garage also through some clever structural engineering and design to achieve a "floating" feel of each suspended floor.

Bedrooms, small satellites to be positioned away from the circular core of the house described above, self contained mini apartments (bed, bath + shower, small living) connected to the core of the house underground (garage access) by tunnels and above ground (main house access) by fully glazed walkways.

The whole of the development set in the middle of a rain forest like landscape.

:icon_mrgreen:

Kind of sounds like Tony Stark's house in the Ironman movies. I think it had most of what you described minus the satellite mini apartments.

I like the ideas, let's keep them coming.

LamboGator a friend of mine in Japan built his house along the lines you are talking about, with the cars being the focal point, he runs a small Caterham dealership out of it.

The place is phenomenal you are surrounded by Caterham and Lotus memorabilia he has an open bar and kitchen with a full time chef all his customers/friends eat there for free,they get together and socialize, the dealership is more of a hobby for him than a business.

I used to love hanging out at his place it felt like the most comfortable place on earth surrounded by all sorts of cool cars and carnuts, when they get together in the weekends you see all sorts of interesting cars in the car park.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Sweet.

Another bathroom. This is my favourite one. Bathroom TV, heated screen, so it doesn't mist. HDMI distribution throughout the house, from the Sky STB. Also note in lower picture, beautifully integrated Sky remote extender, inbetween the tiles... All new builds should have integrated tech, or at least the cabling & infrastructure for such. Tough to call in these tightened times, with margins squeezed on all developers..

I like how that TV is integrated, nice viewing position, I hate those ones hanging from the ceiling, where can I find some info on the heated screen?

I really like that integration, thank you :icon_thumleft:

But the one thing I always think about it, that's simple is a home (any price tag) with a functioning bar with 2 sinks, beer taps, soda guns, drawers of ice, speed rack, etc. just like any real bar. Nothing super exotic about it, but in all of my years watching Cribs and looking through Architectural Digest and this forum, I've NEVER seen anyone do it. :lol2:

It would be cool. Make it happen for me. :icon_thumleft:

I was invited to a business meeting at someone's house, he had a full functioning bar exactly how you describe it, with beer taps and all, I am not sure about the soda, because I am not a drinker it didn't really interest me and I didn't pay too much attention to the smaller details.

I have his number, I will call him to see if he would email me few photos, I think he will do it because he was more excited about his bar than talk about business :icon_mrgreen:

How about some cool AV integration?

Kind of sounds like Tony Stark's house in the Ironman movies. I think it had most of what you described minus the satellite mini apartments.

Sounds good, I must admit I've never watched Ironman, I haven't seen the house you talking about it sounds very interesting I will search for photos on the net.

Edit

I've looked up photos, I've seen that house before, the concept I am visualising is in the shape of a perfect cylinder very clean lines and quite small in the footprint, I can't draw to save my life otherwise I would :)