Twin turbo SLR

MKS

a twin turbo SLR from heffner or underground racing would be the perfect car! almost same as the ford gt supercharger changed into a twin turbo set up! when can we see one??

post-490-1294053728.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAMN! haven't seen you posting for a long time! still remember the thread about your CGT..

is that SLR roadster yours? u gotta post more pics! can't wait to see what going on it.

Considering the SLR is supercharged, I don't think that would work without a complete engine rebuild and gut the system it already has. Superchargers and turbochargers don't go together on one engine.

Better off boosting the SC it currently has or replace it with a bigger intercooler and SC. Hasn't Renntech already come up with an 800hp set-up with what it already has??

Considering the SLR is supercharged, I don't think that would work without a complete engine rebuild and gut the system it already has. Superchargers and turbochargers don't go together on one engine.

Better off boosting the SC it currently has or replace it with a bigger intercooler and SC. Hasn't Renntech already come up with an 800hp set-up with what it already has??

Removing a supercharger from an engine does not require an engine rebuild or going into the motor at all. In fact, since the engine will already be prepared for forced induction it should be relatively simple. The question would be whether or not to retain the stock intercooler/manifold. I think to improve low end response it would make more sense to make a new intercooler and a custom long runner intake manifold.

As Allan said, though, not sure about the transmission.

I dont think the transmission can handle that much power.

The transmission is almost the same i think as the 997 turbo tiptronic so it can be modified to run more hp and tq

Removing a supercharger from an engine does not require an engine rebuild or going into the motor at all. In fact, since the engine will already be prepared for forced induction it should be relatively simple. The question would be whether or not to retain the stock intercooler/manifold. I think to improve low end response it would make more sense to make a new intercooler and a custom long runner intake manifold.

very well said and you should talk to mr heffner about it :)

DAMN! haven't seen you posting for a long time! still remember the thread about your CGT..

is that SLR roadster yours? u gotta post more pics! can't wait to see what going on it.

ive been reading the forums but not posting here are a few pic with the new wheels

post-490-1294091321.jpg

post-490-1294091402.jpg

post-490-1294091467.jpg

post-490-1294091523.jpg

So why would it make sense to TT it rather than a larger intercooler, intake, CPU remap and higher boost SC? Doesn't a TT run higher heat as well (re-used exhaust air vs direct cool air for an SC)? Plus immediate response from an SC and no lag (I remember that was one of the reasons Merc decided to go SC rather than Turbo)? Aside from the tranny handling it, you could still get 1000+hp out of it that way, no?

IMO it seems strange TTing something like that when its already set-up for more hp with what it already has....Did the OP know it already had forced induction of the "other-kind" when he made this thread? Just curious.

So why would it make sense to TT it rather than a larger intercooler, intake, CPU remap and higher boost SC? Doesn't a TT run higher heat as well (re-used exhaust air vs direct cool air for an SC)? Plus immediate response from an SC and no lag (I remember that was one of the reasons Merc decided to go SC rather than Turbo)? Aside from the tranny handling it, you could still get 1000+hp out of it that way, no?

IMO it seems strange TTing something like that when its already set-up for more hp with what it already has....Did the OP know it already had forced induction of the "other-kind" when he made this thread? Just curious.

Heat related issues are one of the biggest misconceptions people have about turbos vs. SCs. Without getting too technical, the "reused exhaust air" is pretty well isolated from the cold side or compressor of the turbocharger. In other words, hot exhaust air never directly mingles with cold side intake air. Instead, the heat is converted to rotational force in the turbine which is utilized to turn a centrifugal compressor to compress the air. The only additional heat in a turbo system is usually what is radiating off of the exhaust manifold and turbocharger turbine housing, but that can be handled with adequate airflow through the engine compartment.

Where people get it wrong is that a centrifugal compressor is much more efficient than a twin screw blower, so the blower tends to heat the air much more during compression. Also a twin screw blower is unique in that even when the throttle is closed it is compressing air and actually is heating the air when you are not making boost, which tends to heat soak the intercooler.

As for why you would do it, I guess for the same reason you take a blower off of a Ford GT engine and put a set of turbos on it, to make more power. Bottom line is that turbos will make more power. And a properly designed system will have minimal throttle lag and will have much more midrange torque than a blower engine. Again, I am not taking into consideration the transmission.

I guess your thought could also be answered by the fact that MB dumped all supercharger technology. They went with the big block thought process the last couple of years and now they are moving to Turbos for 2011 in the S63 AMG. Turbos are just so much more efficient in both consumption and how they make power and how much power they can put out.

ive been reading the forums but not posting here are a few pic with the new wheels

Rims look great! Thumbs up.

Heat related issues are one of the biggest misconceptions people have about turbos vs. SCs. Without getting too technical, the "reused exhaust air" is pretty well isolated from the cold side or compressor of the turbocharger. In other words, hot exhaust air never directly mingles with cold side intake air. Instead, the heat is converted to rotational force in the turbine which is utilized to turn a centrifugal compressor to compress the air. The only additional heat in a turbo system is usually what is radiating off of the exhaust manifold and turbocharger turbine housing, but that can be handled with adequate airflow through the engine compartment.

Where people get it wrong is that a centrifugal compressor is much more efficient than a twin screw blower, so the blower tends to heat the air much more during compression. Also a twin screw blower is unique in that even when the throttle is closed it is compressing air and actually is heating the air when you are not making boost, which tends to heat soak the intercooler.

As for why you would do it, I guess for the same reason you take a blower off of a Ford GT engine and put a set of turbos on it, to make more power. Bottom line is that turbos will make more power. And a properly designed system will have minimal throttle lag and will have much more midrange torque than a blower engine. Again, I am not taking into consideration the transmission.

I guess your thought could also be answered by the fact that MB dumped all supercharger technology. They went with the big block thought process the last couple of years and now they are moving to Turbos for 2011 in the S63 AMG. Turbos are just so much more efficient in both consumption and how they make power and how much power they can put out.

Awesome explanations guys...Thank you!!! :icon_thumleft:

Fantastic car!

Thanks Allan i still need to do the intercoolers and pulley but dont know where to get them from