So how much $$$$ are you going after?

Camel Toe Juice

In addition to VBOX, do people here really have goals like this? Seriously? I mean, fcuking billionares? It's the same on every other forum, L4P, Teamspeed etc - everybody wants to be a billionare more than Travis frikkin McCoy and when they post, it seems they honestly think it is so easy, just a matter of time and hard work... :rolleyes:

A couple of cars, a house and some money in the bank should suffice, taking over Bill Gates spot seems a bit high, no!?

The lottery is an average person's best chance at becoming a millionaire. Now take a super intelligent, extremely hard working, out of the box thinking millionaire, and his chances of becoming a billionaire are about the same as that average persons chance at winning the lottery.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lottery is an average person's best chance at becoming a millionaire. Now take a super intelligent, extremely hard working, out of the box thinking millionaire, and his chances of becoming a billionaire are about the same as that average persons chance at winning the lottery.

Exactly.

Who has that quote in their sig from Schwarzenegger saying he was "just as happy with $50 million as I was when I had $48 million"?

:icon_thumleft:

My goal is to be the worlds first trillionaire, but I am not going to kill myself over it. If I get to 500 billion I guess that will make me happy, that should be enough to take over the world. I definitely would not be happy with 500 milion though....

:rolleyes:

:icon_thumleft: :lol2: :lol2:

I would like to have $30,000 a month in passive income. My goals are apparently not nearly as lofty as some on here, but that's realistically where I would like to be. If I could just sit back and have that coming in off money invested elsewhere, I'd be happy. I don't have a goal for what I want to be "paid" as an employee or business owner really. I live very cheap so it doesn't really take me much income to be able to live a VERY nice lifestyle. So I guess no goal for money earned at a job per se, my goal is to make enough and make the right decisions to draw $30k/mo passive.

I just turned 28 years old, and I think it's definitely attainable. By the way, I bought my first Lamborghini last week. Five years ago I made $10/hr and lived in a small apartment, now I drive a Gallardo and have a nice house and garage to keep it at. :) I'm no rags to riches story (yet) but I did come from a lower middle class family, and I've definitely never had a single penny given to me. No rich grandparents (don't even know them), no rich parents, just good decisions, a solid drive to be somebody, and hard work...

My goal is to be the worlds first trillionaire, but I am not going to kill myself over it. If I get to 500 billion I guess that will make me happy, that should be enough to take over the world. I definitely would not be happy with 500 milion though....

:rolleyes:

You are acting like a billionaire is an impossible goal, which is not true.

In addition to VBOX, do people here really have goals like this? Seriously? I mean, fcuking billionares? It's the same on every other forum, L4P, Teamspeed etc - everybody wants to be a billionare more than Travis frikkin McCoy and when they post, it seems they honestly think it is so easy, just a matter of time and hard work... :rolleyes:

A couple of cars, a house and some money in the bank should suffice, taking over Bill Gates spot seems a bit high, no!?

I never said (or meant to imply) that I thought it was easy or just a matter of time, but yes, I DO honestly have that as a goal, so time will tell. Also being a billionaire isn't as rare as it used to be, I mean there are hundreds of billionaires today. The richest guy in the world in 1990 was worth "only" $6 billion, and there were only a few other billionaires at that time, but today there are many more. So I mean it isn't impossible.

Also having the goal of billionaire isn't trying to take over Bill Gates's spot, if I said I want to be worth $50 billion I could see that.

I never said (or meant to imply) that I thought it was easy or just a matter of time, but yes, I DO honestly have that as a goal, so time will tell. Also being a billionaire isn't as rare as it used to be, I mean there are hundreds of billionaires today. The richest guy in the world in 1990 was worth "only" $6 billion, and there were only a few other billionaires at that time, but today there are many more. So I mean it isn't impossible.

Also having the goal of billionaire isn't trying to take over Bill Gates's spot, if I said I want to be worth $50 billion I could see that.

And you gonna do what exactly? Dude come on, there is dreaming and there is actually doing and then there is BLASTING from the start where everyone goes "oh shit these guys are on to something! They are going to be rich soon!!" - thats your millionares and billionares.

I am all for positive thinking but someone who granted I don't know but hasn't been stating he is working on something amazing is basically just a lube job for this thread and derails the point. Which if you pay attention is - " How much SUCK ASS time do you want to trade for Optimal comfort money levels" and that's when you realize that people who said they will never be satisfied (and are actually serious...) are people who ARE FUCKED and missed the point.

Somewhere on this internet is a billionaire locator. It shows how many are in each state. A billionaire is quite rare, many states do not have a single one. I had the pleasure of meeting one though. I went to dinner a couple years ago with some friends. This was at the West Baden Springs, an old gambling hotel of sorts, majestic in size located in Indiana. Anyways, my budy with me is a doctor. He recognizes a guy across a few tables as William Cook. Mr Cook served in the military and made his fortune in the medical industry (hence why my friend knew who it was), from ground zero. I got introduced to him, a super guy. He had 2 body guards sitting at a table nearby, who smiled at us. Pretty cool experience. Multi billionaire.

And you gonna do what exactly? Dude come on, there is dreaming and there is actually doing and then there is BLASTING from the start where everyone goes "oh shit these guys are on to something! They are going to be rich soon!!" - thats your millionares and billionares.

Like I said it is a long-term goal. My "plan" is to start one small company, or multiple smaller businesses that can be started cheaply, then get significant cash flow, then use that to start a bigger company. One way to build a huge company is to find a fragmented industry where you can create economies of scale and buy a company, or even a group of small companies in that industry, integrate them together under one holding company, then begin making acquisitions of other companies in the industry.

This can be done slowly if the company is kept private, or if you take it public, you can use the money from the markets to make acquisitions, however you must give up some equity ownership in the company to do this and you are now dealing with OPM of course. But doing it this way can allow you to build up a company with revenues ranging from $500 million to $1 billion within a decade. There are many examples of this being done, both by entrepreneurs, and by private-equity firms too (they call it a "buy and build" strategy). Now of course if a public company with revenues of $1 billion, you are not a billionaire because you'd hold a certain percentage of stock, but then if you want, you can cash out and repeat the process, or retire.

You can also just start a company and keep it private and build it up over some decades. For example, Suncoast Petroleum, a petroleum distribution company, was started by its owner ( a woman) when she was twenty-four. She is now in her mid-forties, and it is a billion-dollar company. Since she owns the whole thing, I would think her net worth must be way up there as a result.

The most infamous example of the building companies via consolidation method is Wayne Huizenga, although there are others too. I also have some other ideas for companies.

So to answer your question, yes I have a rough outline/strategy of how to go about acquiring the wealth, and it would be done over many years. I am not trying to imply I will become the next Mark Zuckerberg or anything like that if that is what you were thinking.

I am all for positive thinking but someone who granted I don't know but hasn't been stating he is working on something amazing is basically just a lube job for this thread and derails the point.

You don't need to work on something amazing to become wealthy though, that is a misconception. You can become wealthy by building up a company in a very boring-seeming industry. It is all about spotting opportunities others do not see.

Which if you pay attention is - " How much SUCK ASS time do you want to trade for Optimal comfort money levels" and that's when you realize that people who said they will never be satisfied (and are actually serious...) are people who ARE FUCKED and missed the point.

Yup.

Somewhere on this internet is a billionaire locator. It shows how many are in each state. A billionaire is quite rare, many states do not have a single one. I had the pleasure of meeting one though. I went to dinner a couple years ago with some friends. This was at the West Baden Springs, an old gambling hotel of sorts, majestic in size located in Indiana. Anyways, my budy with me is a doctor. He recognizes a guy across a few tables as William Cook. Mr Cook served in the military and made his fortune in the medical industry (hence why my friend knew who it was), from ground zero. I got introduced to him, a super guy. He had 2 body guards sitting at a table nearby, who smiled at us. Pretty cool experience. Multi billionaire.

Wow, that's awesome! :icon_thumleft:

Make sure the numbers are inflation adjusted for things like billionaires, because after all everyone is a billionaire in Zimbabwe

only like .0000001% of the worlds population are billionaires. Odds are not in ones favor. The billionaire we have here in cincinnati though did get his start with an ice cream parlor. True Story.

Becoming a billionaire in one lifetime starting with nothing is next to impossible, and it takes the culmination and combination of factors including luck that are impossible to predict.

I think one has a much greater chance becoming a famous rock star, movie star, or a successful professional athlete than a billionaire.

I would also venture to say that a very very small percentage of the world's billionaires started with a plan whose purpose was for that person to become a billionaire. So I guess the L4P brigade is out of luck.

As for me, whatever I make I don't think it will be enough for me to be completely satisfied. It gets to the point where it is not about the money anymore, but rather the challenge of making more.

Becoming a billionaire in one lifetime starting with nothing is next to impossible, and it takes the culmination and combination of factors including luck that are impossible to predict.

I think one has a much greater chance becoming a famous rock star, movie star, or a successful professional athlete than a billionaire.

I would also venture to say that a very very small percentage of the world's billionaires started with a plan whose purpose was for that person to become a billionaire. So I guess the L4P brigade is out of luck.

As for me, whatever I make I don't think it will be enough for me to be completely satisfied. It gets to the point where it is not about the money anymore, but rather the challenge of making more.

We have a winner :eek3dance:

You seriously nailed it with this! I think you're exactly right when you say that about them not setting out with a plan to "become a billionaire". I definitely agree about the challenge of making more. In the past 3 years, my income has quadrupled, literally. You know how much my living expenses have increased? ZERO. Did I buy a Lamborghini and another nice daily driver, sure. But, I haven't increased any of my bills, It costs me exactly the same to live month to month as far as any monthly bills are concerned. Because of this, I live very comfortably...that's where most (Americans, anyways) screw up. I can't tell you how many times I've given an employee a raise and the first thing they do is go out and find a way to spend every dollar of that monthly raise--on a new truck note for example. Now, they are right back to living paycheck to paycheck just as they were before getting a nice raise. It's not doing that that affords the opportunities for said challenges of finding ways of making even more money.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. But yes, well said!

You seriously nailed it with this! I think you're exactly right when you say that about them not setting out with a plan to "become a billionaire". I definitely agree about the challenge of making more. In the past 3 years, my income has quadrupled, literally. You know how much my living expenses have increased? ZERO. Did I buy a Lamborghini and another nice daily driver, sure. But, I haven't increased any of my bills, It costs me exactly the same to live month to month as far as any monthly bills are concerned. Because of this, I live very comfortably...that's where most (Americans, anyways) screw up. I can't tell you how many times I've given an employee a raise and the first thing they do is go out and find a way to spend every dollar of that monthly raise--on a new truck note for example. Now, they are right back to living paycheck to paycheck just as they were before getting a nice raise. It's not doing that that affords the opportunities for said challenges of finding ways of making even more money.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. But yes, well said!

You're forgetting depreciation. If you've got two expensive vehicles in your garage you are spending between $5,000 and $10,000 per month whether you drive them or not. Amortize in maintenance and repairs, fuel and insurance and you're burning much more than a zero increase.

You're forgetting depreciation. If you've got two expensive vehicles in your garage you are spending between $5,000 and $10,000 per month whether you drive them or not. Amortize in maintenance and repairs, fuel and insurance and you're burning much more than a zero increase.

Lol I'm not spending between $5,000 and $10,000 a month on any of it. My Gallardo is an '04 and the prices on them haven't really changed at all in the past year or so. Actually, recently they seem to have gone up a hair. My other car is a Jaguar XJR and it's definitely currently worth more than I paid for it. I always shop for a steal of a deal or wait until someone I know is in a bad way and needs quick cash. ;) I'd agree with what you're saying if I bought new or nearly new though. Fuel gets burned regardless of what car I drive as I have to get around, so no real increase there. Insurance I did see an increase on though...of $102/mo when I added the Lambo to my policy. So I guess you're partly right...it increased about $100/mo. I'll live with that.

Had I bought a 2010 LP560 and a 2011 Jag then you would definitely be spot on. I didn't though....potentially very valid points nonetheless. Maybe my example was lacking details and not ideal. The point I was trying to make is, the American way is to typically spend every penny you make. Then you have no option, but to watch the great opportunities pass you by. I see it all the time where someone gets a big raise, and before you know it, they have increased monthly expenses to put them right back into the bind they were in beforehand. Not doing that is what frees you up to take advantage of said opportunities. That was the core of my failed attempt at making a point lol.

Fwiw I read closely at what all of you guys have to say regarding finances. I've been on this forum several months now, and I have learned a TON. Anyways...carry on. :)

Lol I'm not spending between $5,000 and $10,000 a month on any of it. My Gallardo is an '04 and the prices on them haven't really changed at all in the past year or so. Actually, recently they seem to have gone up a hair. My other car is a Jaguar XJR and it's definitely currently worth more than I paid for it. I always shop for a steal of a deal or wait until someone I know is in a bad way and needs quick cash. ;) I'd agree with what you're saying if I bought new or nearly new though. Fuel gets burned regardless of what car I drive as I have to get around, so no real increase there. Insurance I did see an increase on though...of $102/mo when I added the Lambo to my policy. So I guess you're partly right...it increased about $100/mo. I'll live with that.

Had I bought a 2010 LP560 and a 2011 Jag then you would definitely be spot on. I didn't though....potentially very valid points nonetheless. Maybe my example was lacking details and not ideal. The point I was trying to make is, the American way is to typically spend every penny you make. Then you have no option, but to watch the great opportunities pass you by. I see it all the time where someone gets a big raise, and before you know it, they have increased monthly expenses to put them right back into the bind they were in beforehand. Not doing that is what frees you up to take advantage of said opportunities. That was the core of my failed attempt at making a point lol.

Fwiw I read closely at what all of you guys have to say regarding finances. I've been on this forum several months now, and I have learned a TON. Anyways...carry on. :)

:icon_thumleft:

Good points. Women are especially good at doing this.

Everytime I get a raise or a bonus, she says-Lets by this, or we can go shopping, or lets take a trip.

I bring her back down to earth each time....

I enjoy my life, and spend money when I see a need to, or when I am able to add a tremendous benefit/luxury to my life without taking much out of my passive income piggy bank.

My wife and I will likely be hiring our first housekeeper in a few months. My mother in law was a housekeeper while my wife was growing up, so its really a big thing for her. In this instance, the benefit outweighs the hit to passive income (next to nothing). Each and every person should know where there thresholds are when it comes to this. You add a few hundred here and there, a thousand here per month, and next thing you know you are back relying on your job to pay your bills every month. It is unfortunate that most Americans don't understand this. However, I believe many have gotten much better (myself included) by going through this recession.

I thought you said you werent going to kill yourself over it? :P

I don't think we're gonna see VBOX online anymore as he's going to be busy becoming a trillionaire.

Spot on!

To me its about being comfortable and enjoying life with no limitations and it doesnt take a billion.

The best "things" in my life are free, I would not give them up for any amount of cash, these "things" aren't available on any shelf so no amount of cash could buy them therefore IMO finding what makes you happy and fulfilled is key,

you might be pleasantly surprised because you might not need $$$ for it.