7.2 quake rocks japan

Roman

Anyone else find it funny how every country looks at the US for help when shit hits the fan but whenever a disaster occurs in the US (Katrina) we're pretty much stuck to sort things out on our own.. Dont recal Japan helping us out after Katrina.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else find it funny how every country looks at the US for help when shit hits the fan but whenever a disaster occurs in the US (Katrina) we're pretty much stuck to sort things out on our own.. Dont recal Japan helping us out after Katrina.

:eusa_think:

My apologies to Albert-LP, wasn't trying to be insulting (didn't realize he is speaking in what to him is a second language) :eusa_wall: :(

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Dont recal Japan helping us out after Katrina.

I guess you missed this, it was linked to in this very thread!!! But who the hell reads a thread or gets their facts straight before making a comment. :eusa_wall:

Japan Proves Truly "A Friend Indeed" After Hurricane Katrina

Japanese government, companies, individuals send assistance to victims

Read more: http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english...l#ixzz1HqPcZ0Ec

I guess you missed this, it was linked to in this very thread!!! But who the hell reads a thread or gets their facts straight before making a comment. :eusa_wall:

Japan Proves Truly "A Friend Indeed" After Hurricane Katrina

Japanese government, companies, individuals send assistance to victims

Read more: http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english...l#ixzz1HqPcZ0Ec

sorry I didn't read all 20 pages in this thread.. Ah I feel like an idiot now for posting that, really had no idea Japen helped out. Good for them

Don't be so harsh on Wheels for that, but for the fact that he thinks engineers write well :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2:

:thefinger:

A lot of international help was offered after Katrina. My country (The Netherlands) also offered equipment and engineers to immediately help out. However it was politely refused by the US government saying that they were fine on their own...

So all we could do is watch CNN and see a single bulldozer trying to close a hole in the dike... :eusa_think:

I think something similar happened in Japan.. their government also refused a lot of help that was offered initially after the quake and tsunami.

Can't figure out why governments are so ignorant at times... only as a last resort they allow international help.

it's not serious, it's MORE than serious

reactors were without any cooling for days, a melting process was sure to happen: the question is just how big it is.

Reactors history log

Fortunately radioactivity is going down, but it's still 100 times the standard safety level (0,035 μSv per hour) at Fukushima ant three times at Tokyo

21 march

27 march

ciao

BBC and AP are commenting on the data issues.

From what I have read the company that runs the plant are less than trustworthy when it comes to factual recording of info but I cannot find the report I read which lists their cockups.

Where are you guys getting your info, I keep an eye on this website:

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

there is no mention of a meltdown of reactor 2

they will be the last on earth to admit this, but its 100% sure: enormous radioactivity in the n.2 reactor water means it's going on. Trust me.

ciao

Reactor No. 2

Radiation levels in pooled water tested in the No. 2 nuclear reactor's turbine building are 100,000 times normal, utility company and government officials said Sunday, correcting an earlier finding of 10 million times normal. The reading applies to radioactive iodine-131, which has a half-life of eight days.

Iodine-134, which loses half its radioactive atoms every 53 minutes, was at less than a detectable amount, officials said, correcting an earlier figure of 2.9 billion becquerels per cubic centimeter.

There was no indication of harm done to the two people working in and around the No. 2 reactor when the radiation result became known. Those two subsequently left, and work in the turbine building has stopped until the government signs off on the power company's plan to address the issue, according to an official with the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which runs the plant.

A Tokyo Electric official noted Sunday that people continued to work in other buildings -- including a control room, which got power and light for the first time in weeks the previous afternoon -- in the No. 2 reactor's complex.

Also, fresh water was pumped Sunday into the No. 2 unit's reactor core as well as its spent nuclear fuel pool.

Damage is "suspected" in this unit's containment vessel, according to the Japan Atomic Industrial Forum. The reactor's core is also thought to be damaged, but the building has only been "slightly damaged," the group reports.

Even though the temperature and pressure levels are "unknown," the containment vessel pressure is considered "stable," the nuclear industry trade group reports.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...atus/index.html

correct measures Reactor 2 at 27 march 2011

enormous radiation level in the water (> 1000 μSv per hour): melting, with no doubt.

That's lethal in few minutes.

Hope they can stop melting, but how?

Ummm, want to double check your stats there. 1000μSv (MicroSv) = 1mSv

For reference:

A standard Mammogram = 3mSv

Chest CT Scan = 5.8mSv

Dose limit for emergency workers protecting property = 100 mSv

Dose causing symptoms of radiation poisoning = 400mSv

Severe radiation poisoning = 2000mSv (2Sv)

So either your unit notation is wrong, or people are blowing this way out of proportion.

they will be the last on earth to admit this, but its 100% sure: enormous radioactivity in the n.2 reactor water means it's going on. Trust me.

ciao

Why would that be the case?

Facts are facts, sooner or later the truth will be uncovered if IAEA is lying now they risk to lose credibility, do you think such a large organization will want to lose their credibility over a single incident?

It is not their fault the incident occurred, they are just monitoring it and reporting on it, I know they have an interest but hiding the truth will have a bigger negative impact than telling it, they aren't saying that the situation is not bad, they are saying it is very bad but what I can't see anywhere in their report yet is that the number 2 reactor is melting:

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

"On the positive side, electrical power has been restored at Units 1, 2 and 3 and fresh water is now available on the site."

I am sorry Albert nothing against you but I tend to believe the information provided by a large organisation that have people on the ground monitoring the situation over you telling me to trust you.

CNN I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Just one thing: if radioactivity around the plant is low or not so big, why there are not hundreds of electricians, firefighters, workers, bulldozers, concrete pumps, working around the power plant without any safety device?

I learned in my life that large organizations do not ever say complete truth: at the end we learned there were not mass distruction weapons in Iraq... and Russia in 1986 did not admit even some minor problems to Cernobyl power plant until we had here over Italy and Europe an enormous radioactive cloud... Russians admitted problems to Chernobyl plant one week later

That's history, not my opinion.

We all will know how big is this Fukushima problem just in some years, as nobody (of the large organizations) wants to know how big it is. There are some organizations that already says how big it is (Greenpeace is one) but nobody wants to hear what says.

These japanese are very good workers and have a lot of knowledge, they won't lie like russian did, so we will learn more and quicker, but not all.

ciao

Albert you know always the truth is somewhere in the middle, let's hope for the best.

I am not surprised nobody listens to the Greenpeace tree huggers, do you think they will have nice words to say about the Japanese after the whole whale hunting war they have going on? :icon_mrgreen:

holly.. this is not good. the whole north east, east and south side of China detects radiation.

i'd have to assume south korea is also facing similar issues if eastern/southern china is detecting?

Ummm, want to double check your stats there. 1000μSv (MicroSv) = 1mSv

For reference:

A standard Mammogram = 3mSv

Chest CT Scan = 5.8mSv

Dose limit for emergency workers protecting property = 100 mSv

Dose causing symptoms of radiation poisoning = 400mSv

Severe radiation poisoning = 2000mSv (2Sv)

So either your unit notation is wrong, or people are blowing this way out of proportion.

i wanted to write "> 1000 mSv", not "> 1000 μSv": sorry, i wrote the wrong letter, of course. That's big, and very dangerous.

ciao