Attempted break-in!

Gilligan740

Two years ago, I've actually had a home invasion. Had the entire family in the house, wife, kids, sis-in law, her two kids, father in law, mother in law. My father in law was leaving the house through the garage, forgot something came back in and was chatting for a couple of minutes. Next thing you know I see a black guy with a pistol walk in the door from the garage. He had two other guys with him. They had us lay on the ground and had a gun pointed to my head. It was a scary 15 minutes, but they took the stuff and left. I think the most valuable thing they took was my Rolex, but the irreplaceable thing they took was the video camera that had footage of my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I actually think it was a good thing I did not have a gun because that would have been one more weapon they would have obtained.

My son was next to me and he's 7 now. He's still afraid of guns, the other night he couldn't sleep after I thought him how to play a game of Clue. So the end result is, make sure your always locked safe in the house, a gun won't always protect you, get exterior flood lights and a visible surveillant system that monitors outside as well. It would have been great if I could have gotten a description of their car.

Man, what a shitty experience that must have been....sorry you had to go through that.

This home invasion thing is a tough one to deal with.

Two years ago, I've actually had a home invasion. Had the entire family in the house, wife, kids, sis-in law, her two kids, father in law, mother in law. My father in law was leaving the house through the garage, forgot something came back in and was chatting for a couple of minutes. Next thing you know I see a black guy with a pistol walk in the door from the garage. He had two other guys with him. They had us lay on the ground and had a gun pointed to my head. It was a scary 15 minutes, but they took the stuff and left. I think the most valuable thing they took was my Rolex, but the irreplaceable thing they took was the video camera that had footage of my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I actually think it was a good thing I did not have a gun because that would have been one more weapon they would have obtained.

My son was next to me and he's 7 now. He's still afraid of guns, the other night he couldn't sleep after I thought him how to play a game of Clue. So the end result is, make sure your always locked safe in the house, a gun won't always protect you, get exterior flood lights and a visible surveillant system that monitors outside as well. It would have been great if I could have gotten a description of their car.

Wow, sorry to hear your family had to go through that. Puts my ordeal from yesterday into perspective.

I agree, guns won't always protect you, but at the moment where I was standing in my own hallway realizing someone else might be in my place I was DAMN glad I had mine on me. If someone had been there it would have at least evened the odds. Concealed carry critics argue you won't know what to do in the "heat of the moment" but the first thing I did was draw. I wasn't playing secret agent and diving behind walls but I was ready to shoot if someone got in between me and my exit from the apartment.

My door repair is underway. My maintenance guy has replaced the wood surrounding the door jam which was damaged and fixed the lock. He also adjust the exterior doors in the building so they latch more easily in case a door wasn't securely closed. You can still see some of the scratches on the door frame where the guy was prying in.

post-10945-1301680657_thumb.jpg

post-10945-1301680717_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine has a bumper sticker that says "Insured by Glock" (not actually on his car, he just has the sticker) -- maybe I should stick that on the door.

yes, I agree....better give them to me for safe keeping. :icon_mrgreen:

Ha, if anything I need to borrow some of yours to help keep these dirtbags out of my place! :icon_mrgreen:

Rob, that looks like a nice system. Only problem, it doesn't seem to be OSX compatible. Apple rules in my home.

You might be the only Mac user who is also a Gun owner.

Wow! Thankfully everyone is ok. That must have been horrifying.

I had an issue with my condo in Chicago last month. It was either a break in or issue with the building, I suspect the latter. I spent $1,000 and an hour and a half to set up a security camera system. When my business partner moved in to his house in Manhattan I helped him set up a wired Logitech system and I was not impressed. WiFi IP is definitely the way to go, I am using a handful of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P4NHUA , which are probably out of stock now because of me.

I am pretty self conscious about security all around. Its too easy to be targeted, even more so if you are carelessly using something like facebook or foursquare.

19 yr. old denied having a party in December while the wife and I were out. Dragged her butt in front of the monitor, and rewound the system. No further questions or stories, grounded 2 months.

Grounded at 19? Sounds like someone needs to get a job and move out!

A friend of mine has a bumper sticker that says "Insured by Glock" (not actually on his car, he just has the sticker) -- maybe I should stick that on the door.

Or then they just break in again to see if you have some guns lying around?

Grounded at 19? Sounds like someone needs to get a job and move out!

She was home from college. Legal drinking age in N.Y. is 21. I'm not going to jail for "Host Liquor" law violations.

She was home from college. Legal drinking age in N.Y. is 21. I'm not going to jail for "Host Liquor" law violations.

Nassau County police and alcohol is a scary mix!!

• 2 weeks later...