Attempted break-in!

Gilligan740

Well, today has been interesting. I live in the Short North area of Columbus, known as an "arts district" near downtown. It's basically a high-rent, upscale area with art galleries, restaurants and lots of bars and I have enjoyed living there for ~2 years now.

Today, I had a problem. I came home to find that my apartment door had been vandalized. There was a period where I thought someone had been inside my place, and possibly still was. I called the police and they cleared my apartment, finding nobody inside. I went back in with them to discover nothing had been taken. It doesn't look like anyone succeeded in actually entering the apartment but they had gotten pretty close. I believe they were f-ing with the door and heard me enter the building at the street level entrance and ran out a rear entrance.

For those of you who don't already know, I have a concealed carry permit and I was armed at the time that I discovered the attempted break-in. I did not clear my apartment myself because the safer and more sensible thing to do was to call the cops. Luckily for the would-be thief, I didn't come home a few minutes later when he might have been inside. Luckily for me, I came home before he/she/they had a chance to relieve me of my stuff.

If you haven't considered your own home safety/security recently, do yourself a favor and do so tonight. I don't live in a building that I have ever had concerns with before and I never thought my place would be targeted. Just because you may live in a nice area and maybe even have cameras or a security system/alarm doesn't mean it can't happen to you. This is a message that I feel is worth reminding ourselves of occasionally. Also, if you've got any shit lying around your house that you couldn't do without -- LOCK IT UP! I'm not careless but I had some stuff out that shouldn't have been (watch, etc.) I have insurance for everything but it would have sucked to lose some of this stuff.

For those of you who don't already know, I have a concealed carry permit and I was armed at the time that I discovered the attempted break-in. I did not clear my apartment myself because the safer and more sensible thing to do was to call the cops.

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Good job!

Glad nothing was taken...

Get the door fixed and reinforced FAST.... I have $50 that says they will come back in the next 30 days.

If you have a safe, lock all your valuables in it for a while, or take them to a trusted relatives place or (best yet) get a safe deposit box.... Live like a monk for a few weeks.

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Good job!

Glad nothing was taken...

Get the door fixed and reinforced FAST.... I have $50 that says they will come back in the next 30 days.

If you have a safe, lock all your valuables in it for a while, or take them to a trusted relatives place or (best yet) get a safe deposit box.... Live like a monk for a few weeks.

The door is being fixed with upgraded locks and a jam-cover first thing tomorrow morning. In the mean time, I've got all my valuables with me and I'm heading to my mom's house for the night. Can't be too careful.

Once the door is fixed, I will just be extra careful and maybe start carrying my mid-size .40 Glock instead my subcompact 9MM :icon_mrgreen:

One thing I constantly remind people, if you have a safe, you MUST bolt it to something fcuking substantial. Having a safe that two people can carry is absolutely pointless.

Mine serves double duty as a gun/rifle safe and a place to keep valuables. First day we brought it home I pulled the carpet up from the bottom inside of the safe revealing 4 bolting holes. Went down to home depot and rented a hammer-drill and 1/2" masonry bit. Few minutes taking some measurements, cutting soda can size holes in the carpet, and accurately marking our drilling points and we were ready to rock. Fire up the makita hammer drill and it took probably 30 min total to punch all four 1/2" Dia x 3" deep anchor bolt holes.

Smash cut 10 mintues and the safe is positioned over the holes. Drop in the wedge stud expanding concrete anchors and crank those things down. It's now essentially a permanent part of the foundation of my house. EACH of those 1/2" anchors has a pullout strength of around 4,500 lbs and a shear strength near 9,000 lbs.

Come hell or high water the last thing standing there will be that safe. :icon_super:

Any idoit can own a gun. It takes someone with intelligence to know what to do with one.

Smart move Milligan. Good luck and stay safe. They've "cased the joint" so take precautions.

One thing I constantly remind people, if you have a safe, you MUST bolt it to something fcuking substantial. Having a safe that two people can carry is absolutely pointless.

Mine serves double duty as a gun/rifle safe and a place to keep valuables. First day we brought it home I pulled the carpet up from the bottom inside of the safe revealing 4 bolting holes. Went down to home depot and rented a hammer-drill and 1/2" masonry bit. Few minutes taking some measurements, cutting soda can size holes in the carpet, and accurately marking our drilling points and we were ready to rock. Fire up the makita hammer drill and it took probably 30 min total to punch all four 1/2" Dia x 3" deep anchor bolt holes.

Smash cut 10 mintues and the safe is positioned over the holes. Drop in the wedge stud expanding concrete anchors and crank those things down. It's now essentially a permanent part of the foundation of my house. EACH of those 1/2" anchors has a pullout strength of around 4,500 lbs and a shear strength near 9,000 lbs.

Come hell or high water the last thing standing there will be that safe. :icon_super:

Do you store anything stolen from VBOX in that safe? If so, that would explain his workout regime.

Unfortunately, this shit is pretty common in SF. Damn tweakers.

Yup, 2 of my friends had break-ins while someone was in the fcuking home. One of my cars was broken into in noe valley and another on portrero and I dont even live in that stupid place.

Paul, happy you are safe. Problem is, as has been said, in all likelihood they will attempt again. Get a security system, be very aware of your surroundings... Might not be a bad idea to get a web-based security system too... there is a video of someone logging in on his iPhone to discover the thieves in the act, called the police and BAM!

Glad all your stuff is ok and that you didn't have to deal with poppin a cap in somebody.

They sell motion activated wifi cameras, if someone breaks into your house, you will get an email with their picture.

I have them setup in all entrances in my house, works perfectly.

Cost is around $300.

They sell motion activated wifi cameras, if someone breaks into your house, you will get an email with their picture.

I have them setup in all entrances in my house, works perfectly.

Cost is around $300.

Have any recommendations on a particular model?

+1

I was looking at a wifi enabled system so i can log in but texting one is even better... GBGallardo did a wifi system I think... Rob?

I think I have Panasonic, not sure, will check when back home.

The beauty of it is you can access the camera from your phone and change the position of the camera as well.

Great peace of mind for a few hundred dollars.

I have a web based ssystem. Has a Nuvico hard drive, 21" monitor x2 for 18 cameras, 14 exterior cameras and 4 interior. Cameras are model 627W TV type NTSC.

I can check the system 24hrs 7 days a week from any computer or laptop anywhere I am in the world.

Came in handy last year, we were in France and I noticed on one of the cameras that there appeared to be water in the basement. I called my brother who went over to the house and found the water running in the sink in the maids room and it had over flowed.

It's good for more than just criminal watching.

Edit: Also good for checking on teenage children. 19 yr. old denied having a party in December while the wife and I were out. Dragged her butt in front of the monitor, and rewound the system. No further questions or stories, grounded 2 months.

Once the door is fixed, I will just be extra careful and maybe start carrying my mid-size .40 Glock instead my subcompact 9MM :icon_mrgreen:

I dont think thats a good idea.... I think you should get rid of your guns all together.... They're just not safe to have around the home and now that you've been targeted for burglary, they will probably just be stolen from you and used in future crimes.

I dont think thats a good idea.... I think you should get rid of your guns all together.... They're just not safe to have around the home and now that you've been targeted for burglary, they will probably just be stolen from you and used in future crimes.

yes, I agree....better give them to me for safe keeping. :icon_mrgreen:

Two years ago, I've actually had a home invasion. Had the entire family in the house, wife, kids, sis-in law, her two kids, father in law, mother in law. My father in law was leaving the house through the garage, forgot something came back in and was chatting for a couple of minutes. Next thing you know I see a black guy with a pistol walk in the door from the garage. He had two other guys with him. They had us lay on the ground and had a gun pointed to my head. It was a scary 15 minutes, but they took the stuff and left. I think the most valuable thing they took was my Rolex, but the irreplaceable thing they took was the video camera that had footage of my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I actually think it was a good thing I did not have a gun because that would have been one more weapon they would have obtained.

My son was next to me and he's 7 now. He's still afraid of guns, the other night he couldn't sleep after I thought him how to play a game of Clue. So the end result is, make sure your always locked safe in the house, a gun won't always protect you, get exterior flood lights and a visible surveillant system that monitors outside as well. It would have been great if I could have gotten a description of their car.

yes, I agree....better give them to me for safe keeping. :icon_mrgreen:

Ive joined the brady campaign.... Guns are bad and should be outlawed.