Hurricane Irene

pockmark

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like a bit of over selling over kill on the name?!?!?!

Honestly-majority of people in Florida I know call it that. I do see what you did there with the sarcasm though. I let it slide because its your birthday. :lol2: :lol2:

I figured I would post some "before" pics of our place in the Outerbanks - Our beach house is in Corolla (just north of Duck).

We are about 100 yards from the beach (so there is a row of houses just in front of us). Our house has no houses directly in front of us, which actually is bad in this case, since there will be no slowing the surge if there is one. 9 - 11 foot surge will put the lower level of our house with water - anything above 15 foot would be really really bad.

I will post pictures once the storm has passed. It is pretty odd sitting here in Ohio getting updates from the company we use for managing the property - waiting to hear the prep work, status of securing items, etc. etc.

Fortunately our home is newer and has the high impact windows and siding, etc. and well insured ;)

We have had our place in the Florida Keys for 16 years, and I haven't even had to replace a roof tile after a storm. Go figure, in North Carolina which hasn't had a major storm in 50 years will be the place I have to worry about.

-- We have a few friends staying their this week, and they just got the mandatory evacuation notice - so they are heading out tomorrow morning. Looks like they have to be on the road by 9am for ample lead time.

I have attached a pic of the beach and what the dune looks like, as you can see it is built up for protection from a pretty decent surge, so we will see if it holds....

More when I have it.

Rich

Side_view.JPG

CIMG1568__Small_.JPG

Or maybe not:

205112W5_NL_sm.gif

Yeah, airline canceled and hotel took a nice hit. The receptionist said the pool was full of sand from the beach.

I will pray for those in its path.

People in most of Florida have homes built with concrete cinder blocks, have shutters, and have hurricane resistant roof's/etc. They are tremendously sturdy homes, and could go through this with maybe some roof damage, and of course some tree damage. I feel very bad for those outside of the state with homes made of wood. If that thing goes through at a Cat 3, there wont be much left of those areas. I really hope it turns further east and misses everything.

This could seriously fcuk up NYC. Some 10 foot storm surges would go over the flood walls and could fill up lower Manhattan pretty well, including the subway system.

This could seriously fcuk up NYC. Some 10 foot storm surges would go over the flood walls and could fill up lower Manhattan pretty well, including the subway system.

Forget the storm surge. You have no idea the amount of horrendous building damage will happen in all of NYC if this thing hits as a category 2 there. In Downtown areas such as NYC, think of debris hitting these buildings like pin ball over and over and over. That's what happens during these storms.

Hurricane Wilma hit Downtown Miami as a strong Category 1/Weak Category 2, again with buildings built in the highest hurricane specs, and there was severe damage due to wind bending around buildings and slamming debris all over the place.

If NYC stays in the path as a Cat 2, I would be on the next flight out of there.

Lets hope for a dud, none of us want to hear about people displaced out from their homes let alone the economic punch our economy will take once more from many other blows already.

I am not sure about a dud. Those that know the area around northern North Carolina (like I do)...

One thing got me thinking they are not just being overblown (no pun intended)...

They took all the ships in Newport news and moved them out of the harbor into deep sea, including all the submarines... They also dry docked several smaller vessels. They never have done this with any of the storms I have seen in the last 15 years.

I have seen 80+ miles per hour tropical storms, and they don't even blink on moving larger destroyers that are in the port. This time they sent them all out.

Remember that a Cat 2 (specifically a high one is still 100+ miles per hour) and with sustained winds with this slow moving hurricane (14 miles per hour) - that means that an area hit will be sustained high winds, waves, etc for up to 12 - 16 hours. That is a long time to take that type of punishments.

To top it all off - I am insured with Firemans fund which is one of the premium insurers of beach properties, they called to verify my contact info, for once the storm abates and if they need to get with me. That has also not happened in 15 years.

Now that is all about the outerbanks which is just an small island, how it will effect other areas up north once it slows down - maybe and hopefully not much.

I am not sure about a dud. Those that know the area around northern North Carolina (like I do)...

One thing got me thinking they are not just being overblown (no pun intended)...

They took all the ships in Newport news and moved them out of the harbor into deep sea, including all the submarines... They also dry docked several smaller vessels. They never have done this with any of the storms I have seen in the last 15 years.

I have seen 80+ miles per hour tropical storms, and they don't even blink on moving larger destroyers that are in the port. This time they sent them all out.

Remember that a Cat 2 (specifically a high one is still 100+ miles per hour) and with sustained winds with this slow moving hurricane (14 miles per hour) - that means that an area hit will be sustained high winds, waves, etc for up to 12 - 16 hours. That is a long time to take that type of punishments.

To top it all off - I am insured with Firemans fund which is one of the premium insurers of beach properties, they called to verify my contact info, for once the storm abates and if they need to get with me. That has also not happened in 15 years.

Now that is all about the outerbanks which is just an small island, how it will effect other areas up north once it slows down - maybe and hopefully not much.

Yikes! Well hopefully it's not as bad as they are thinking.

With all this excessive prep, the storm will turn out to be a dud.

Yup..the more hype and spin the more it becomes a non issue...and everyone wonders why people dont leave when these warnings come out...but i suppose there is some legal precedance...

Anybody old enough to remember Hugo?

I do, I was a senior or maybe junior in high school visiting Orlando. We were stuck with no hotels rooms opened, lucky my parents had friends there that let us stay with them last minute.

I do, I was a senior or maybe junior in high school visiting Orlando. We were stuck with no hotels rooms opened, lucky my parents had friends there that let us stay with them last minute.

It LOOKS like hugo... the size of it is really breathtaking...

It's already expected to weaken to a Cat 1 by the time it's up around north VA. They sent all the ships out because the earlier forecast was that it would hit Cat 4 and since it takes time to get ships out I think they just err'd on the side of caution. For sure we could get pummeled with rain and get some flooding just from the size of this but I dont think it will be too hardcore.

My grandma lives in Charleston, SC and I remember Hugo back then