Ooops, there goes the space time continuum

Ascari_2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered my first Neutrino Powered Cell Phone – its so quick, I ordered it today and it arrived here yesterday.

Stephen Hawkings actually predicted this many years ago (actually many have since about 1960 or so) They called them Tachyons (yep like startrek). Hawkings actually (with data) predicted that black holes emit certain levels of radiation (albeit very small trace amounts). He goes on to describe that if a black hole en-captures all light and particles, yet radiation escapes - they for a brief time of instability or burst of speed will travel beyond the speed of light, thus escaping the black hole.

As right as Einstein was on nearly everything, and as one of my hero's - I and other people of physics believed this one is where he was probably wrong. Now there is proof.

Actually opens up a lot of cool things for string theory and how some of the hypothesis held within this area of theoretical physics may be proven correct - with hard data, rather than speculative data.

Stephen Hawkings actually predicted this many years ago (actually many have since about 1960 or so) They called them Tachyons (yep like startrek). Hawkings actually (with data) predicted that black holes emit certain levels of radiation (albeit very small trace amounts). He goes on to describe that if a black hole en-captures all light and particles, yet radiation escapes - they for a brief time of instability or burst of speed will travel beyond the speed of light, thus escaping the black hole.

As right as Einstein was on nearly everything, and as one of my hero's - I and other people of physics believed this one is where he was probably wrong. Now there is proof.

Actually opens up a lot of cool things for string theory and how some of the hypothesis held within this area of theoretical physics may be proven correct - with hard data, rather than speculative data.

Very cool stuff indeed.

AFAIK radiation escaping black holes is from the randomness of the speed of light over tiny distances. Electrons orbiting the nucleus of an atom vary in the speed from slower than light, to faster than light. Radiation escaping from a black hole just so happens to be travelling faster than the speed of light at the event horizon which enables it to escape, but the average speed is still that of light.

Neutrinos passing through the earth faster than the speed of light as presented in the linked article is quite different to radiation escaping a black hole.

Interesting stuff.

It's mind-boggling to try to conceptualize some of these things. For example, a particle passing through an entire planet as if it is hollow. The one thing that I often used to wonder is what is outside of the universe.

If you look at a chart of the known intermolecular forces, the force of gravity is one of the weakest in our realm. One of the next strongest forces would be Van der Waal's force. Thats the effect where atoms/molecules are slightly bonded due to random positive and negative charges within the atoms/molecules. Stronger are the atomic forces, and even stronger are subatomic. I think CERN is trying to create a stronger force to break these, so we can look farther into matter and find the "GOD" particle. We just keep finding more energy. On the opposite end, we seem to find the universe is larger and that there may be more out there.

If there was not this hierarchy, substances as we know would break down. For example, the desk in front of you would collapse under the force of gravity.

The trouble, in my opinion, with E = MC^2 is that they are doing a rough calculation of the amount of energy in a material based on its mass. Is it true? Yes, to us. The mass is the mass of the atom at the proton/neutron/electron level. "Light" © released from the atom is seen when an electron drops from a higher energy orbit to a lower and the energy is dissipated as visible light....which the speed of light © is used in the above equation.

When you step down into the subatomic level.....there are stronger bonding forces. If we could release this energy, it would be devastating. It could possibly be done if we can find an unstable version of it....as we do with an unstable atomic structure.

So, I believe if you have a stronger bonding force at the subatomic level, and this is broken, energy will be dissipated. I dont think that this would be in the visible light spectrum, so I dont know if the above equation would be 100% correct. Also, the released energy may be faster than the speed of light to compensate for the fact that it has stronger forces....kind of like momentum = MV, where a slow heavy object has the same momentum as a fast light object.

It is pretty amazing when we see how we are made, and what it takes to live. For example, the most basic thing, temperature, is a measure of the average motion of molecules:

T = 1/2MV^2

All you feel when you "feel hot" is the collision of a certain average of molecules against your skin. When this happens, you receive more energy. Without this proper energy, the reactions that make us cannot happen, and we cease to live.

Think about how lucky we are just considering the placement, angle, and size of the earth position in relation to the sun. Without it, we could not exist.

Also, think about all the things temperature affects in our chemical/physical reactions, but how little it seems to affect the small subatomic and larger gravitational forces.

Makes you think.

Good read bonedoc!

My first thought was "how much faster?"

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd do the "simple" math.

They shot the particles 730 km, and they got them 60 nanoseconds too soon.

Light travels at 299,792,458 m/s, so at the speed of light 730 km should take 0.00243501789 seconds, or 2,435,018 ns.

Instead the particles used 2,434,958 ns, that's 1.00002464 % faster: 299,799,845 m/s, 7387 m/s faster than the speed of light.

I'm sure there's a million more variables to the calculations here, but I think it gives you an idea of how close to the speed of light it is, but it is still faster.

Measuring something in nanoseconds though, that requires some serious equipment!

No matter what happens in the world, science always is progressing SOMEWHERE. Fascinating stuff.

Think about how lucky we are just considering the placement, angle, and size of the earth position in relation to the sun. Without it, we could not exist.

Good post learned a lot but this is backwards. We are alive precisely because this is Earth. Now are we alone in the universe, or are we not?

One thing that scientists don't really know is if the speed of light is really a constant. We don't know if light travels at the speed it does everywhere in the universe or if it has always travelled at that speed.

Here is an interesting display of how large our universe is: LINK I think there are probably thousands, maybe even millions, of other civilizations that have risen and fallen, although to what complexity they developed, no way to know. I'd love to learn of the music, arts, cultures, etc...of such civilizations, and also see what lifeforms they have on their planets. I mean if life can start on Earth, it has to be able to start elsewhere as well.

All you feel when you "feel hot" is the collision of a certain average of molecules against your skin. When this happens, you receive more energy.

What I'd love to know is what exactly IS heat?

One thing that scientists don't really know is if the speed of light is really a constant. We don't know if light travels at the speed it does everywhere in the universe or if it has always travelled at that speed.

Here is an interesting display of how large our universe is: LINK I think there are probably thousands, maybe even millions, of other civilizations that have risen and fallen, although to what complexity they developed, no way to know. I'd love to learn of the music, arts, cultures, etc...of such civilizations, and also see what lifeforms they have on their planets. I mean if life can start on Earth, it has to be able to start elsewhere as well.

What I'd love to know is what exactly IS heat?

Heat is just the measurement of the average of the speed of molecules. It is based on the mass of the molecule and its speed. If a group of molecules is moving rapidly, it will be hotter. If its too hot, it will kill tissue. Some reactions can be sped up with heat because it increases the collision of the molecules reacting and provides heat to endothermic reactions. Boyles law is good to know too.

Interesting, in space, when hydrogen gas floats the gravity forces of the atoms pull them together. When they get dense enough, the pressure and temperatures are so high that an ATOMIC reaction (fusion) happens. This is EXOthermic. It lets off heat. When Hydrogens binds to Hydrogen, you get helium....a 2 proton atom. Protons (H) will keep fusing up until iron and heat will be released and keep driving the process. At this point, you will have a massive star, and not a ball of gas. As you go to the inside of the star, pressure and heat increase, and the elements are of higher atomic weight, up to iron. So, the lighter weight stuff is on the surface.

Once we reach iron, the process becomes ENDOthermic and can no longer sustain itself. At this point the star explodes. The heat and pressure is so intense that it would make CERN look like a joke. All elements above iron will be produced....even some that are so large they make a nuclear bomb look stable, though they quickly degrade to lighter elements.

Because we have elements on earth above iron on the atomic chart, there is no doubt that the earth has come from the explosion of a star. Otherwise, what we have would not be possible. Unfortunately, people think that God could create us, but not a big bang.

They say that when you see a start at night, you are seeing what it looked like billions of years ago because it took that long to get here, even at the speed of light. The theory is, if a big bang happened, it would be the oldest point in out universe. Therefore, we should be able to see a white expanding wall if we look far enough with a telescope. The only trouble I see is this. If mass cannot go faster than the speed of light, how did our matter get ahead of the light from the big bang, the oldest moment in our existence? Also, they say that the universe is expanding outward from every point. If this is true, where is the middle?

Oh yeah, everything in our system is increasing in ENTROPY. This is disorder. For example, if you throw a bunch or rocks on the ground, they will be disordered. They probably wont make a castle. Everything in the universe is becoming more spread out.

Also, ENTHALPY is getting lower. This is the energy state. For example, a pen is going to tend to lay on its side rather than stand on its own because its lower energy. Its center of mass is closer to the center of the earth. In the same way, most chemical reactions that happen easily will usually have electrons falling into a lower energy orbit around the nucleus.

What I want to know is this. Where did the initial order and energy come from?

Why is it that only living organisms posses the ability to move entropy and enthalpy against its natural progression? In other words, show me one non living process that creates order AND can go against the normal reactions of stability?

If we are just an accident, how the hell did the mind become? Logic and ability are the only things that have the ability to go against what is happening in our universe. How was it created from something totally opposite?

Oh yeah, everything in our system is increasing in ENTROPY. This is disorder. For example, if you throw a bunch or rocks on the ground, they will be disordered. They probably wont make a castle. Everything in the universe is becoming more spread out.

Also, ENTHALPY is getting lower. This is the energy state. For example, a pen is going to tend to lay on its side rather than stand on its own because its lower energy. Its center of mass is closer to the center of the earth. In the same way, most chemical reactions that happen easily will usually have electrons falling into a lower energy orbit around the nucleus.

What I want to know is this. Where did the initial order and energy come from?

Why is it that only living organisms posses the ability to move entropy and enthalpy against its natural progression? In other words, show me one non living process that creates order AND can go against the normal reactions of stability?

If we are just an accident, how the hell did the mind become? Logic and ability are the only things that have the ability to go against what is happening in our universe. How was it created from something totally opposite?

I love this kind of stuff but I'm not educated enough to discuss. What I would like to know is what your opinion is on parallel universes. They say they are finding evidence of our universe touching another, from the WMAP images, but they don't have the recourses necessary to prove this 100%.

Also if you know anything about black holes I would like some clarification. From what I understand is that they say these things are literally holes in the fabric of space/time. What I'm thinking, and I could be completely wrong, is that they really aren't holes but simply such a dense object with such massive gravity that nothing can escape is gravitational pull. Therefore they could never lead to anywhere else i.e. "white holes" or even to another part of the universe. If they were really holes wouldn't it create a massive disturbance, much larger than they already create, and destroying/consuming entire galaxies.

On a side note one of my favorite things to do is browse Hubble telescope pictures, they are absolutely stunning. My favorite images have to be nebulae and supernovas.