Aventador Review

M5V10

I had a chance to drive the Aventdaor yesterday, and I figured I'd share my review as others have.

Exterior Design-

It is absolutely stunning from every angle in my opinion. The car I drove was Matte White which showed off all the lines much better than the Bianco Isis car I saw down in Miami in December. The attention to detail is unbelievable, down to the gas cap which continues the sharp lines of the car. The fit and finish of the panels was much better than some of the 640's I've seen. There are definitely design elements pulled from other Lambos, but on the road it really looks like a completely different car to me. The reaction from other drivers on the road was above and beyond everything else I've been in, including the SV. I understand where some are coming from with their gripes about the design, but I think Lambo knocked this one out of the park.

Interior-

Not a particularly easy car to get into/out of with the high door sill thanks to the carbon tub, but I feel like that is an element that every flagship car should have to add to the "drama" factor. I could care less whether I look ridiculous getting into or out of it. The seats are extremely comfortable and the driving position was much better than the 640. The pedals are still close together, but weren't an issue while driving it. I really liked the layout and high center console, much like the Carrera GT. It definitely makes you feel like you're in a cockpit with the separation between the driver and passenger. All Audi buttons of course which doesn't annoy me as I know they're going to work properly. The LCD display is crystal clear, and I didn't have any issues seeing the tach in bright sunlight. This car had the upgraded sound system which sounds great, especially compared to my Gallardo which you can't even call a stereo. Overall the interior fit and finish is a big step up from Lambos of old. I really like it and nothing really bothered me about it, but I'm sure some will have little gripes here and there as usual.

Drive-

The first thing I noticed when pulling away was how much smoother this car is at low speed, and how seamlessly the clutch grabs. It feels nothing like any of the E-Gear variants where you have to really modulate the throttle for the clutch to grab smoothly. I accelerated gradually as the car wasn't up to temp yet when I got in, but could immediately feel the torque in the motor. Drove the car in Sport for most of the time, and the gearshifts truly felt seamless in every part of the rev band and were accompanied by a little "burp" on the upshift. The downshifts were crisp and the sound it makes is intoxicating.

Finally got the car up to temp right before I merged onto the freeway WOT. This car pulls like a freight train with massive torque throughout the rev band. Never stops pulling through every gear and the power comes on so early (around 3k-3.5k rpm). Redline shifts in Corsa hit so hard, and I really do believe the 50ms time as I've driven a Scuderia with its quoted 60ms shifts and they felt every bit as quick and quicker. The exhaust note when you're flat out is something to be heard, as are the downshifts that sound even more mental with the accompanied crackle pop on the overrun while lifting off the throttle. Anyone who says this car is quiet needs to get their ears checked as it definitely sounds louder than the 570. The exhaust note is very unique and to me sounds a lot like a combination of the deep grunt of the 570 and higher pitched 640.

After reading Tommy's review comparing his driving experience to his SV, I completely agree with him that it feels like a totally different car. The SV is definitely more raw as the power band is completely different. The SV is absolutely bonkers from 5k rpm and up, whereas the Aventador starts to pull hard much earlier and throughout the rev band. It definitely validates the point made by many journalists saying they can't believe the speed when they look down, as there isn't a point in each gear where the power being put down has a massive change like the SV up top thanks to a much flatter torque curve. The car is truly out of this world fast and feels absolutely mental the way it gains speed. Unlike anything I've ever been in/driven. I haven't spent enough time in an SV to give a thorough comparison between the two cars. I definitely think it is quicker than the SV, but look forward to seeing the difference between the two in a real world comparison. I'm sure that will happen soon as more owners take delivery.

The addition of the new pushrod suspension and Haldex AWD system is the most competent combination of drivetrain and suspension in any car I've driven. The ride is unbelievably smooth, in fact scary smooth. Yet at the same time, the handling and steering feel is incredible. The steering has just the right weight to it, and on turn-in the nose just goes wherever you want it to. The car feels so planted on a high speed turn and is more confidence inspiring than just about anything out there. I know some people, including journalists and race car drivers, will gripe about the AWD supposedly under-steering on turn-in (didn't feel it) and prefer a RWD car that they can power slide all over the place. However, the last time I checked, I'm not a race car driver and 99% of the owners won't be either. I'm not saying that a lot of us can't push cars as most on this forum can really drive, but I haven't seen any of us have a race contract on the table, except for the likes of Graham Rahal and maybe a few other lurkers or members on the forum that I don't know who race professionally. Because of this, I want a car that is confidence inspiring when I'm pushing it to my limit, which is probably higher than most owners will, but on par with a lot of the LP members that will buy one. This car does this better than anything I've driven. If you want a car that terrifies you on a high speed turn-in knowing that you're responsible for correcting major oversteer or certain death awaits, this is definitely not the right car for you.

I had the opportunity to get on the brakes pretty hard when I was merging onto the freeway, as an officer of the law was pulled over in the median and wanted to deprive me of seeing higher gears. Thankfully he'd already pulled someone over and didn't notice the speed I was gaining before I got to test out the massive new ceramics. When you get on the brakes in this car, it loses speed like nothing else out there. I didn't even come close to testing out just how quickly they'd really stop the car, maybe 50%, but even with that much input I understood why all of the journalists say everyone must experience them once in their life. I can only imagine how quickly this car stops if you got anywhere near locking them up. However, what stood out the most to me was how unreal the pedal feel was at every speed. They have that "sneeze factor" where you can decrease speed effortlessly at any speed unlike a lot of the ceramics on previous Lambos. The first generation ceramics had a major learning curve to attempt to brake smoothly, and the second generation on the 560/570 and SV were definitely improved. These are on a whole new level and I think will blow everyone on LP away as more get to drive the car.

Conclusion-

I'm absolutely blown away by the car. If I could buy one I certainly would. You can nitpick any car on the planet, but to me Lambo took everything great about all of the cars they've made in the past, and then added and improved even more. I completely understand that there are some out there that won't agree with me which is perfectly fine as all cars are personal preference. However, in my mind this is THE car to buy right now, and I hope that Lamborghini gets the credit they deserve for making this car as good as it is.

I'm absolutely blown away by the car. If I could buy one I certainly would. You can nitpick any car on the planet, but to me Lambo took everything great about all of the cars they've made in the past, and then added and improved even more. I completely understand that there are some out there that won't agree with me which is perfectly fine as all cars are personal preference. However, in my mind this is THE car to buy right now, and I hope that Lamborghini gets the credit they deserve for making this car as good as it is.

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

The best review so far.

I was worried about the car not being as fun to drive as a rwd car, but your points are valid.

700 hp is hard to tame without four wheel drive.

I drove this car on Mon morning before I left for France and I agree with all of Graham's points. I can't wait to get mine in a couple of weeks. Nice review Graham! The only thing I would add is the 2->1 downshift is my favorite for the exhaust sound!

The best review so far.

:iamwithstupid:

Agree. No offense to Tommy or the other guy from last week, but this review is the best-written thus far.

Excellent review Graham....enjoyed reading it!

Could you expand a little bit on the handling.....on the weight of the car, ability to change directions, body roll (or lack of it)....particularly in comparison with other cars (Gallardos, Murcis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc).

It seems like an amazing GT exotic....just curious what else it can do.

I agree. Having driven the car twice, this write up is dead on. I think as more and more people, even the skeptics get their hands on it, the Aventador makes converts of them. It certainly won't please everyone and some ole school fans won't like it one bit, but overall there is no question this is a car to be reckoned with!

I agree. Having driven the car twice, this write up is dead on. I think as more and more people, even the skeptics get their hands on it, the Aventador makes converts of them. It certainly won't please everyone and some ole school fans won't like it one bit, but overall there is no question this is a car to be reckoned with!

:iamwithstupid:

As one of the old school fans here, we've come to accept that these cars are just different. There's never going to be another Countach QV or Diablo SE30.

Just like everything else in life, the attitude to take on is to collect new & old especially if you're an old school fan.

For a new school car, the Aventador seems to be a home run!

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I drove this car on Mon morning before I left for France and I agree with all of Graham's points. I can't wait to get mine in a couple of weeks. Nice review Graham! The only thing I would add is the 2->1 downshift is my favorite for the exhaust sound!

Lots of 2->1 downshifts coming soon my friend!

Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it. Looks like I am going to Atlanta to drive this car tomorrow as well.

Thanks Aaron. I look forward to hearing what you think after driving it tomorrow. Its a spectacular car.

Excellent review Graham....enjoyed reading it!

Could you expand a little bit on the handling.....on the weight of the car, ability to change directions, body roll (or lack of it)....particularly in comparison with other cars (Gallardos, Murcis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc).

It seems like an amazing GT exotic....just curious what else it can do.

What amazed me was that the Aventador seemed to "transform itself" with different types of driving. At speed it requires very little steering input to get the car where you want it to go with great feel to it. The suspension never felt rough/hard at higher speeds, yet it handled like a car you'd set up for the track. ZERO body roll whatsoever, felt extremely planted, and it really "sits down" the more speed you carry into the corner. Out of curiosity, I clicked it into the 7th gear on the freeway at 70mph and the car was only turning over 2300 rpm and was as comfortable as a lot of luxury cars. To the point it makes my Gallardo feel like a GT3 Cup Car.

From stop light to stop light around town it is nicer to drive than all the Lambos I've driven. The steering lightens up a little bit at low speed and the front diff doesn't make the car feel like the front end wants to push out or be difficult in a parking lot. It is extremely comfortable cruising around and nothing about the car ever felt jerky at any speed or rpm.

Plain and simple it is the best all around car on the planet. First and foremost it is an out of this world, mental, nuts, insane, (insert other adjectives and expletives) super car, and can be as comfortable as the best GT cars in the market at the same time. The length of my 2 posts wouldn't suggest it, but I'm still speechless.

Thanks Aaron. I look forward to hearing what you think after driving it tomorrow. Its a spectacular car.

Looks like I cant make it tomorrow, so going to try for monday. I am really looking forward to it.

Nice write up :icon_thumleft:

Bentley, don't quote long original posts with your reply unless it's to avoid confusion. I edited your post to remove M5V10's original post. :icon_thumleft: