Prototype Countach 5000S

DoctaM3

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got confirmation that factory USA 2 -valve FI cars had FLA serial numbers. Euro 2 valve cars had ELA serial numbers. That is THE way to tell the difference between a car "made" to pass EPA/DOT by dealers, distributors and Lambo NA and the 37 built AT the factory.

some had headlights in the front bumper and others did not....

some had the front hood cut to accommodate the front bumper and others did not...

???

P1011704.JPG

P1011709.JPG

lp500s62.jpg

Casey, nicely put. Thanks for even more history. A few more pix:

09e6017.jpg

c1a78f1.jpg

25dc2a0.jpg

c7c15bd.jpg

And of course, leading the pack, which is where it belongs!!

b7b2ada.jpg

Factory sources stated 37 FI LP5000s had been built.

Factory cars were assigned USA vin numbers and the intake plentums had Lamborghini script on them.

Just got confirmation that factory USA 2 -valve FI cars had FLA serial numbers. Euro 2 valve cars had ELA serial numbers. That is THE way to tell the difference between a car "made" to pass EPA/DOT by dealers, distributors and Lambo NA and the 37 built AT the factory.

I owned FI car ELA12784 briefly, it had the Lamborghini script on the plenum with a USA 17 degit VIN number. Would that make it one of the 37 factory cars or one of the Lamborghini NA converted cars?

Cheers Jim

I owned FI car ELA12784 briefly, it had the Lamborghini script on the plenum with a USA 17 degit VIN number. Would that make it one of the 37 factory cars or one of the Lamborghini NA converted cars?

Cheers Jim

from the post, it would seem like it.

I would like to ditch the front bumpers too but they changed the trunk lid as well! If you get rid of the bumpers there will be holes in the trunk.
Is this DLA12584?

After looking throu some books, it might to a point be correct to call it a prototype. Jas did ask Lamborghini to help him making it US-legal in 1982. What actuall work they did or he did I can't find in any books, but this grey car was the first Jas did. But it is not a official Lamborghini conversion/prototype since Lamborghini Cars of North America did the conversions until Lamborghini started to make federaliced cars in 1985.

The rear bumper/surround I have only seen on two cars. This grey one, and this black that was sold by Bobileff 5-6 years ago.

Grey car should too originally be wingless (as the photos in the book (Lamborghini, Supercar Supreme) shows)like the black car, and the rear bumper looks much better without the wing on, and shows better that it flows better with the lines of the car. BUT the black car has a euro-front, but I do not think it predates the grey one. Only the grey one is written about.

That car was just discussed in another forum in regard to what Fi its got and if at the time the car Vin was advertised worngly as ELA when it should have been FLA.

Do you have picts of the engine? could you confirm for sure that is an ELA or FLA Vin?

Casey,

Congratulation. I agree that this car is a milestone in the Lambo history (historical is a big word) and a turn in the Countach history. It is from what I know, the 1st injected CT. It is clear that it was used as the blue print for what was to come (thus the prototype label). From Jeff's account, the factory surrogated their work. Today it would be called "outsourcing". I would not convert it back to carb although I swear by Carb CTs. This car is unique and original. It should stay that way

From what i gather you are likely the 4th owner.

May be you could shed some light on what occured initially in the car's life. When was the car built? was it shipped directly from the factory to Jas for mods? When was it shipped? Why was the car sent back to the US? It seems that the first owner was near my State in NH.

What is remarkable is that that car could have easily been lost / abused / destroyed from the various auction sales. But somehow good people bought it and kept it pristine. Late in the 90s and early 2000, nobody really cared about injected 5000S as many cars were hacked with injection and the lack of information to make the difference between the real from the hacks was close to impossible unless your were in the small inner circle.

Please share the history of this car. Factory injected may not be the countach holy grail but it is the least undestood part of the CT history

I am sure as a body of people we can retrace all of the factory injected VINs with picts. I got quite a few

I would love to know the serial number, I have CLA 12498, an (early?) 1982 Euro spec car w webers. Not too many of these around....

I'll look through my files on the car tomorrow and post more specific information regarding its history. I briefly spoke with the gentleman who was on the team to build the FI system on the car and knows all about it and has more documentation/photos of the car. I hope to be talking with him sometime this week and to get more stories and info. I will post more shortly.

Casey Putsch

www.putschracing.com

I've attached a few pictures. The blue Countach was the Prince of Saudi Arabia's 1978 4-litre car. No cracks about the Delorean guys! That car belongs to a very cool car enthusiast and is an 80's icon as well. Enjoy.

DSC09949.JPG

...and here I thought for years that I had the blue Saudi car until..........

Curious.... you have the blue Saudi car??? or had? or have there been multiple blue Saudi cars?

I would love to know the serial number, I have CLA 12498, an (early?) 1982 Euro spec car w webers. Not too many of these around....

Mine was the first 5 Litre car in the States. A 1982 Euro spec car originally.

CLA12507

Curious.... you have the blue Saudi car??? or had? or have there been multiple blue Saudi cars?

1978 1121006

The Saudi was one story. There is also an Iranian story.

post-37-1324298546.jpg

post-37-1324298561.jpg

I am confused now as to which Saudi car our friend has Casey?

Not sure.... It is a 1978 Blue lp400s with the rare adjustable wing and SW gauges. The door jamb is stamped with something about Saudi imports or something like that. I know it was not a cheap car for sure.

Not sure.... It is a 1978 Blue lp400s with the rare adjustable wing and SW gauges. The door jamb is stamped with something about Saudi imports or something like that. I know it was not a cheap car for sure.

ex Joe Sakey

ex Joe Sakey

Before that it was white sides with a blue top and owned by member De993 and her husband.

For the record, Hawkeye's car is probably my favorite countach around. And its blue tahiti i believe.

Is yours blue alcapulco Peter??

I thought that the car was a '79 and a Saudi Prince car, like 1 of 1. It was in some collection and then at Pebble Beach. It was a retarded amount of money (not sure if it hit 7 figures or not).

Not sure on the specifics but this raises some interesting questions.