How fast have you gone?

05LSV

I'm slightly nervous (for safety reasons of course) about opening up the G on the normal highway ("excessively"), so I was thinking of trying to go to some private airstrip type events so I had the chance to drive the car at 150+mph.

Have you taken your G up to this level? How did the car feel? Comments?

I'm slightly nervous (for safety reasons of course) about opening up the G on the normal highway ("excessively"), so I was thinking of trying to go to some private airstrip type events so I had the chance to drive the car at 150+mph.

Have you taken your G up to this level? How did the car feel? Comments?

One time, yes one time, I opened the SE to near 160 while following a superbike and when I looked at the speedo couldn't believe what I was seeing! The car is absolutely stable and the confidence driving the car at speed it astounding. That said, I will never do it again as there are too many negative scenarios that come into play at these high speeds! I get my speed at the race track in a racecar with all the safety provisions that comes with being at a place designed for high speed. I have always been a proponent for speed at a proper venue. All the vids I see with guys racing each other on public roads is totally stupid!

I agree that driving fast at a proper venue such as an airstrip is best however you can see the TX2K11 events and various other UGR car vids where the Gs are going close to if not well into the 200s. The owners of those cars have never complained about stability at those speeds as far as I know.

I've been 175 in a Gallardo and it was very stable. In fact at that time I was 2 cars behind an f430 and the 430 lost its line and almost clipped the 911tt behind it. Just make sure your tires are okay.

yes multiple times, X10 taking the car 180-190 MPH, car felt very stable and glued to the floor. I have never had a problem, make sure roads are clear and you should be fine.

Ive driven a half of dozen cars at 160+ (ZR1, 08 Viper, GTR, etc.) and none of them came close to the high speed stability of the Gallardo. The Gallardo feels "stuck" to the pavement at high speeds. It's awesome. :icon_thumleft:

165 on race track

Very stable & "glued"

It was MY limit - I was not comfortable pushing for more but the car was fine.

Hubby went 175 (more guts than me)

Agree on advice about tires & especially pressures being good.

Also alignment and toe/cast/camber setting will make a big difference in feel - if they are "off" it won't feel as "glued"

Also keep in mind that Lambo speedos read high - the faster you go the less accurate

(if it's 3 mph high at 70 mph - at 140 is it 6 mph high? so actual speed is 134? Not sure if it's a linear scale...)

I topped my 05 g is going down a 2 lane road in the country. It felt very stable considering the speed and the very poor road conditions, my passenger hit his head on the roof multiple times because of how bad the road was, the g handled it like a champ.

The biggest issue isn't the car - but the road conditions. How familiar are you with the road? Unexpected debris, potholes, etc. Other drivers (this is obvious).

Most people are in their own little world driving (esp. in the US) and do not expect a fast mover in the left lane.

Remember a few pointers:

Both hands on wheel (9 and 3)

Be ready to flash brights (horns won't work at those speeds)

Have an "out"

Understand how long it will take to brake from 100, 130, 150, 170 to whatever is slower than others cars can brake from their speed of 55/65 etc. This is crucial as most people react to someone coming up on them fast by not signaling and moving but by braking!

You have to understand that any inputs on the car - throttle, brake, steering - are all magnified at higher speeds. So jabbing, yanking, or stomping should all be words taken out of your vernacular when driving (at any speed really).

Hope this helps. Be safe! But have fun!

Not to deter you - you going 130+ in the left lane may be safer than a soccer mom going 55 in her minivan - it's just you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Ive driven a half of dozen cars at 160+ (ZR1, 08 Viper, GTR, etc.) and none of them came close to the high speed stability of the Gallardo. The Gallardo feels "stuck" to the pavement at high speeds. It's awesome. :icon_thumleft:

Try a murci at 160. You feel like you are going 60 till you realize the closing speed to objects in front of you.

Had my '08 SL over 100 on many occasions. Same experience as others have mentioned. Car felt very stable, even at 170 indicated. I would also agree with others to choose your "venue" carefully. The roads where I live are in very good shape and make such antics an easier proposition. I totally agree with Uk Stig about assesing your surroundings and familiarizing yourself with your car's capabilities. I tended to always do pulls on vacant roads. Long answer to the question but yes Lambos are built for over 100. They like it there.

Try a murci at 160. You feel like you are going 60 till you realize the closing speed to objects in front of you.

:iamwithstupid:

And the SV with the big wing, WOW. Both me and M have had it well over 175 and it's PLANTED.

We've have the Performante to about 175 with the top down and it was quite stable; nothing like the SV but not twitchy.

I've done 204 (on the speedo) in my old FGT, nothing else has ever felt as solid as that car at those speeds.

I've done 204 (on the speedo) in my old FGT, nothing else has ever felt as solid as that car at those speeds.

Completely agree, I did 202mph (GPS) in my Ford GT and car felt very stable.

Completely agree, I did 202mph (GPS) in my Ford GT and car felt very stable.

The faster that car went, the better it got. That's with the stock suspension no less.

IMG_20120115_184411.jpg

that 190ish - in the murci roadster obviously with top down.

nothing like the wind in your hair.

170 indicated in my gallardo....unevenful.

Pick your run location carefully. Pre run it a few times progressively faster and faster.

Personally though I prefer driving through the canyons than super high speed blasts in a straight line.

180-190 several times in my 2 04's. Very stable and impressively quick to get there. Much more stable than any of my Ferraris at those speeds.

180-190 several times in my 2 04's. Very stable and impressively quick to get there. Much more stable than any of my Ferraris at those speeds.

MUCH more stable!