Best mid-size car for under 25K? New or used?

MrDoctor

I hope some of you have more reasonable cars to drive daily than MBs, BMWs and lambos :icon_mrgreen: .

My brother in law is looking for a new or used car for under 25k. Mid-sized.

Narrowed it down to:

Nissan Ultima

Chevy Malibu (heard good things)

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

The blah, boring cars..the usuals.

I'm sure I'm leaving most out. Dependability is his main concern since he uses it for work.

Long stretch is a Lexus IS. I don't know how much he will consider it, but I'm going to take him to look at one tomorrow either way!

Any others I should consider?

Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to find the Lexus IS too small...especially if he needs the back seats.

The Altima is pretty bland, good things about the Malibu and Fusion. Accord and Camry...well...kind of just there.

You also have Mazda 6 series and even the Hyundai Sonata isn't actually bad. There's also the Acura TSX/TL, they're a bit larger but might be good...same with the Lexus ES and infiniti G37.

I think a 2010 Hyundai Genesis might be an interesting option in this price segment with regards to bang for your buck. I would definitely say away from 5-series and E-classes in this price range if reliability and cost to maintain is a primary factor.

I think you are on the right path with a used Lexus. Maybe also consider looking at some Acuras.

I'd get a pre-owned Acura with low miles and call it a day. In fact, I did.

You can find TLs and TSXs for $25k all day long and they're nice, reliable cars. Nothing really sexy but they're better than some of the ones you mentioned.

I'd get a pre-owned Acura with low miles and call it a day. In fact, I did.

You can find TLs and TSXs for $25k all day long and they're nice, reliable cars. Nothing really sexy but they're better than some of the ones you mentioned.

Very true! I've heard great things about the standards Acura adheres too.

Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the help! :icon_super:

I love the mini cooper and they can be had in that price range.

But don't discount the new Hyundai line, they actually build some nice reliable cars with a great warranty. Not flash but they get the job done.

Look at a 2007-2009 Audi A4. They are in that price range.

I love the mini cooper and they can be had in that price range.

But don't discount the new Hyundai line, they actually build some nice reliable cars with a great warranty. Not flash but they get the job done.

Would have never considered Hyundai before...mmmmm. The warranty is great.

Writing a list and will check out some of these cars tonight!

Mini cooper is too small, need a comfortable 4 seats!

Look at a 2007-2009 Audi A4. They are in that price range.

Not if he is worrying about the cost to maintain. My last service on my 08 was 1200 and the next one in 10K miles is 1700. And thats not counting when things brake (like they always do on the audis when the mileage gets higher.) And my car still has a warranty....

Not if he is worrying about the cost to maintain. My last service on my 08 was 1200 and the next one in 10K miles is 1700. And thats not counting when things brake (like they always do on the audis when the mileage gets higher.) And my car still has a warranty....

:iamwithstupid:

E55, cheap monster.

:lol2: Cost to maintain is ridiculous

Only if you find the wrong car, I had 1 for 4 years at it cost as much as my mom's accord to maintain. Maybe I was lucky.

Used E60 BMW 5 series? Not sure how much they cost to maintain compared to the Audis/Mercs but I'd imagine less.

Otherwise, Subaru Legacy/Kia Optima might be good choices. Great looking and fun to drive (compared to Camry/Accord).

How about waiting for the new Fusion? It's a great looking car.

2013-Ford-Fusion-Gear-Patrol.jpg

New fusion is nice, like the new Malibu as well.

I think, for him, used MBs and BMWs are out of the question. He can afford a much nicer car, the problem with the guy is that he drives them HARD. The last car he had, brand new Mazda 6, he did NO service to it, one day was driving, bam, caught fire! And by no service, I mean it. I'm sure he'll grow up a little with the next one!

So maybe they're back in the race because he never servies the cars he buys ^_^ ?

Used E60 BMW 5 series? Not sure how much they cost to maintain compared to the Audis/Mercs but I'd imagine less.

Nah, cost me about $1g per month to maintain my E60 out of warranty - and that was using local trusted indy mechanic.

A friend's hasnt been bad at all.

A friend's A4 hasnt been bad at all.

It will. Those were just the brakes and the upcoming timing belt job at 75K. And like I mentioned, i have a warranty. The bearings in my turbo failed, and they thankfully replaced that all under warranty instead of the 2G's it would have cost. Dont get my wrong, I love my little audi, but its always a gamble

And tahst just it, if your buddy didnt service before, then he needs to stay away from the europeans cars. Any older euro is a dice game of not knowing when that super expensive repair may hit you....

It will. Those were just the brakes and the upcoming timing belt job at 75K. And like I mentioned, i have a warranty. The bearings in my turbo failed, and they thankfully replaced that all under warranty instead of the 2G's it would have cost. Dont get my wrong, I love my little audi, but its always a gamble

And tahst just it, if your buddy didnt service before, then he needs to stay away from the europeans cars. Any older euro is a dice game of not knowing when that super expensive repair may hit you....

I know its a roll of the dice. The people I know with VW/Audis have had really good luck with them. I love their cars too. So much so that Im looking for one of my own. Im sure with my luck mine will be a POS. :lol2:

I know its a roll of the dice. The people I know with VW/Audis have had really good luck with them. I love their cars too. So much so that Im looking for one of my own. Im sure with my luck mine will be a POS. :lol2:

My S4 was nearly flawless until 105k miles. Then everything broke. If I didn't like the way it drives so much, I'd probably push it off a cliff at this point. I'd definitely consider a new-ish one, but I wouldn't want one that was very far out of warranty.