Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

LaHostrup

If the only people who were allowed to talk about these cars were the owners and buyers, there wouldnt be much discussion. I rode in a 599 just over the weekend. Fantastic cruiser, and fast as hell. Almost too comfortable for an exotic. But its still a fantastic car. I would imagine this will drive great, ride great, but the looks just dont excite me. Nothing wrong with that. This is a lamborghini forum, looks are kind of a big deal around here....

The above comment is my exact feelings on modern Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and forums.

Lamborghini's are all about the insanity. Everything else looks boring in comparison. The closer the aural and driving insanity comes to the visual the closer Lamborghini comes to making their perfect vehicle. Ferrari's are a totally different experience, especially modern Ferraris. I own both, I drive both and I love both. But for two totally different reasons and purposes.

This new Ferrari is nice looking. It will be fast as hell and drive amazing (unless it catches on fire). The Aventador is a spaceship that looks like it is 15 years in the future. For my dollar, no comparison. The Aventador all the way. But is my purpose was long rides up and down the PCH to-and-from the beach and what not (sometimes traffic, sometimes a nice ride), I would prefer the Ferrari. That is where the modern F-cars excel. If my purpose is a nice weekend insanity ride and a piece of fine art in my garage when I am not driving it, the Lamborghini wins. For me, its just that. If the FF looked better I would have bought it. I got the 612 for transporting the family in. It is doing an excellent job. But when I want to cut loose and have a little insanity, nothing touches the Lamborghini's.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the only people who were allowed to talk about these cars were the owners and buyers, there wouldnt be much discussion. I rode in a 599 just over the weekend. Fantastic cruiser, and fast as hell. Almost too comfortable for an exotic. But its still a fantastic car. I would imagine this will drive great, ride great, but the looks just dont excite me. Nothing wrong with that. This is a lamborghini forum, looks are kind of a big deal around here....

See it in real life, let it take time to grow on you.

I didn't like the new BMW 7 series but I do now, same with the Maserati gran turismo which I though was hideous when it came out. Seeing a car like this in real life is something totally different.

When I saw a full black LP640 on the streets I was star struck, such a bad ass car and I couldn't stop looking at it. That's the what I mean, seeing it IRL is different than on a picture (obviously) which didn't trigger the same reaction on me.

I feel Lambo has the easy gig and Ferrari has the hard gig when it comes to styling.

In Ferrari's defense they make mid & front engine cars, and they attempt to evolve their designs beyond updating old designs. The 458 is not a 21st century 308, and the F12 is not a 21st century Berlinetta Boxer.

Whereas the Aventador and every car that preceded it is an obvious evolution of the Countach. Gallardo is just a small version of this car. Lambo hit a homerun with the Countach prototype 40 years ago and now own the design -- no one can copy it.

Ferrari had some big balls to transition from TR to Maranello and 355 to 360. Will we ever see drastic design changes at Lamborghini?

I agree with soup.

Seems like the majority of the modern cars don't do well in photos but appear better in the real. I got to try out a FF recently and in real life, it doesn't look too bad. Notwithstanding that I walked in under the impression that it'll be one ugly-looking car, but was rather surprised that the proportion and the lines actually looked right. And remember how everyone laughed at the 599 when it first came out? In real, it actually looks very nice and seems like everyone likes it now. To be honest, I still dislike the 458 but some lines do start to make sense now.

And let's not forget when the Murci evolved to the LP640 & the G evolved to the LP560, criticisms were abound and look where those are at now.

I actually think the F12 doesn't look too bad. The menacing smile front and thong-like shaped rear are a bit cheesy and will need some getting use to but I'll reserve final judgement until I see the car in real. Yes, it lacks the overall sensuality lines from the classic F-cars but the profile is still there. I would say initial impression is not bad.

Not to piss on the "wait until real life parade", but there are several people on F-Chat saying that they HAVE seen it, and for the first time in recent memory this is a car that, and I quote: "photographs better than it actually looks in person" - ChadStrad

So stop the lectures please, we're not children who need a tutorial on new car intros after 20+ years of living through them.

If we want to piss on this car, we can piss on it, and if anyone's sensitive eyes don't care for that, GTFO of the thread.

PS - I'm saying this is in general, not to soup or Al in particular, whose opinions I respect and enjoy. :icon_super:

Not to piss on the "wait until real life parade", but there are several people on F-Chat saying that they HAVE seen it, and for the first time in recent memory this is a car that, and I quote: "photographs better than it actually looks in person" - ChadStrad

So stop the lectures please, we're not children who need a tutorial on new car intros after 20+ years of living through them.

If we want to piss on this car, we can piss on it, and if anyone's sensitive eyes don't care for that, GTFO of the thread.

PS - I'm saying this is in general, not to soup or Al in particular, whose opinions I respect and enjoy. :icon_super:

fcuking THANK YOU. :icon_thumleft:

:shock: In that case... they have a problem :icon_toilet: But then again, Ferrari is likely cashing in all the cheques for the deposits as we speak.

No worries, all good. :)

:gay:

first_live_pictures_ferrari_f12_berlinetta_003.jpg

It's getting worse...wtf is with all those strange flips, curves, ramps, and other Hyundai-esque elements??

And to think people were raving about the "sexy rear-end" from the press/staged shots... :eusa_wall:

I think the front looks great, and like the side profile a lot too. Its pretty and a little edgy from the front, but not overly stimulating but it isn't supposed to be an over-the-top crazy hypercar style-wise, like the Aventador. For the type crowd they're going for I think it looks great.

The back though..... I'll hold my final judgements on that until I have more time. First impression I don't like it, but do appreciate that they didn't just leave it flat and boring like a lot of their other rears.

Anyone on here think that Ferrari should consider going back to the dual taillight look?

I think it might help a little bit.

Anyone on here think that Ferrari should consider going back to the dual taillight look?

I think it might help a little bit.

Yes, definitely.