Joe Z's Verde Ithaca LP560 Heffner TT Build Thread

So is the two phases of the build mean that it is a "bolt on" for the summer and motor build to follow? What are the Dyno numbers? Curious how the numbers compare to the previous system. I have a few other questions, but I'll wait for the pics so as not to spoil the fun.

Yes. I did not want to loose the car for the good driving weather and opted for a two stage build. The motor has not been done yet. Jason will post the final dyno sheets after he is completed on the dyno Monday.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe,

So your car will be running on the stock motor with a bolt on TT kit only?

If so, it seems like a lot of 560 owners opt for a bolt on kit and not a full engine built, which is quite the opposite of pre LP Gallardos. Are the 560s internals that much more robust or something? Has Jason ever mentioned anything about that to you?

Joe,

If so, it seems like a lot of 560 owners opt for a bolt on kit and not a full engine built, which is quite the opposite of pre LP Gallardos. Are the 560s internals that much more robust or something? Has Jason ever mentioned anything about that to you?

Fadi,

I believe the rods are quite a bit stronger in the 560's.

Joe,

Jason and I have had countless hours of discussion regarding this platform as it is far different from the pre LP Gallardos.

The engine is more robust and some of the factory components are stronger. With that being said, it will live at the bolt on numbers with no issues, but to take it to the next level the motor will have to be done.

Jason and his team are far different than the other shops working with this platform. Heffner utilizes the factory electronics to run this car. On the pre LP cars, additional injectors were added to compensate for fuel and were ran by a secondary ecu. Jason does not add secondary injectors nor does he add an additional ecu, holding true to factory form and maintaining the direct injection!!

After Jason and his team pointed out all the differences with the new LP motors, it was clear that this would be the only route I would take.

All of the factory components that will not be used were removed from the car and it is ready to have a turbo system built for it. The main things that we wanted to consider when laying this out are:

Component location. We wanted to keep the hot parts away from the cold parts. We wanted the intercooler away from the exhaust and wanted the air inlet plumbing to be able to take in fresh, cool air.

Overall function and expandability. We selected tubing diameters, intercooler core and turbochargers that would function very well at the bolt on level as well as perform efficiently when the car comes back to get turned up.

Appearance. We felt that the completed system should look like it belongs on the car. We wanted it to have the appearance of a factory installed system rather than stand out as something that was made in the aftermarket.

Drivability and reliability. All of our Audi R8's and LP560's that are factory equipped with Bosch electronics and direct injection are tuned through the factory engine controller and are still fueled through the direct injection system. The factory Bosch electronics system is really an incredible feature. It has full time, active wide band oxygen sensors, full time, active knock control as well as a number of other important safety features. This means that if you happen to fill up your tank at a gas station that has low quality fuel, the knock sensors will detect the detonation and remove the necessary amount of ignition timing to prevent you from damaging your engine. The wide band oxygen sensors constantly monitor your air / fuel ratio and based on their readings the engine controller immediately compensate for any changes in fueling requirements. If something is to happen that the engine controller can not compensate for, it will close the throttle bodies and trigger a fault code to direct you in the area of the issue. The retention of the direct injection, especially in a bolt on configuration, is essential for the prevention of detonation. The direct injection system introduces fuel into the combustion chamber precisely before ignition. This makes it very difficuly to detonate the engine. If there's no fuel in the engine early enough to preignite, it makes it hard to create detonation. This is incredibly important when you are working with an engine with a 12.5 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas and applying boost. Not every manufacturer of turbo systems for these cars retains these factory systems.

Here is the blank canvas, ready to be painted.

IMG_3178.jpg

All of the factory components that will not be used were removed from the car and it is ready to have a turbo system built for it. The main things that we wanted to consider when laying this out are:

Component location. We wanted to keep the hot parts away from the cold parts. We wanted the intercooler away from the exhaust and wanted the air inlet plumbing to be able to take in fresh, cool air.

Overall function and expandability. We selected tubing diameters, intercooler core and turbochargers that would function very well at the bolt on level as well as perform efficiently when the car comes back to get turned up.

Appearance. We felt that the completed system should look like it belongs on the car. We wanted it to have the appearance of a factory installed system rather than stand out as something that was made in the aftermarket.

Drivability and reliability. All of our Audi R8's and LP560's that are factory equipped with Bosch electronics and direct injection are tuned through the factory engine controller and are still fueled through the direct injection system. The factory Bosch electronics system is really an incredible feature. It has full time, active wide band oxygen sensors, full time, active knock control as well as a number of other important safety features. This means that if you happen to fill up your tank at a gas station that has low quality fuel, the knock sensors will detect the detonation and remove the necessary amount of ignition timing to prevent you from damaging your engine. The wide band oxygen sensors constantly monitor your air / fuel ratio and based on their readings the engine controller immediately compensate for any changes in fueling requirements. If something is to happen that the engine controller can not compensate for, it will close the throttle bodies and trigger a fault code to direct you in the area of the issue. The retention of the direct injection, especially in a bolt on configuration, is essential for the prevention of detonation. The direct injection system introduces fuel into the combustion chamber precisely before ignition. This makes it very difficuly to detonate the engine. If there's no fuel in the engine early enough to preignite, it makes it hard to create detonation. This is incredibly important when you are working with an engine with a 12.5 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas and applying boost. Not every manufacturer of turbo systems for these cars retains these factory systems.

Here is the blank canvas, ready to be painted.

IMG_3178.jpg

:icon_super:

We began with locating the critical components. Exhaust tips can only go in one place so we located them first.

IMG_3182.jpg

The guys at TIAL provided us with a pair of custom billet wheeled ball bearing turbos that will happily support 1400 whp. We chose to go with 3.5" tubing for the downpipe. As I stated earlier, we wanted cool fresh air going into the turbos so we located the air inlet plumbing next. This pretty much dictated where the turbos needed to go so we made a temporary fixture to hold them in place while we connected the dots.

IMG_3184.jpg

We fit the bumper support on to make sure we had adequate clearance and plumbed the rest of the exhaust.

IMG_3186.jpg

The completed downpipe came out to be a very clean, unrestrictive piece.

IMG_3187.jpg

Then we went on to plumbing in a pair of TIAL 44mm MVR wastegates. We took the time to make sure that the exhaust flowed out of the mid pipe and back into the downpipe smootly. This makes for very predictable boost control.

IMG_3189.jpg

Very nice, Jason.

I know Joe briefly touched up on this subjet, but do you feel that at 700-750 whp this motor can live a long time on 93 octane through a bolt on kit only? Or would you feel reluctant?

I am asking because 12.5:1 CR is pretty darn high, and although a bolt on kit would only be pushing around 6-8 lbs, it still seems like a lot for that kind of CR. Your professional thoughts?

Kisco,

I do feel completely comfortable with these engines at the 800 whp mark on pump gas. It is important to understand the benefits of direct injection to fuly understand how this is possible. On a normal port injected car, fuel is injected into the intake runner and goes into the combustion chamber significantly before the piston reaches top dead center. If the combustion chamber temperature is high enough, the fuel will ignite before the spark plug fires which creates the term that we know as "detonation". On a direct injected engine, the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber a very short time before the spark plug fires at a much higher pressure. This gives the fuel a better atomization, more efficient combustion and significantly reduces your chances of detonating the engine. Of course, in the event that you meet the conditions required to create detonation, the knock sensors are there to compensate immediately.

Kisco,

I do feel completely comfortable with these engines at the 800 whp mark on pump gas. It is important to understand the benefits of direct injection to fuly understand how this is possible. On a normal port injected car, fuel is injected into the intake runner and goes into the combustion chamber significantly before the piston reaches top dead center. If the combustion chamber temperature is high enough, the fuel will ignite before the spark plug fires which creates the term that we know as "detonation". On a direct injected engine, the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber a very short time before the spark plug fires at a much higher pressure. This gives the fuel a better atomization, more efficient combustion and significantly reduces your chances of detonating the engine. Of course, in the event that you meet the conditions required to create detonation, the knock sensors are there to compensate immediately.

whew, you lost me at the "800whp mark" LOLOLOL

that kind of hp is very impressive with a bolt on kit!

Very nice looking set up. I can't wait to get a ride in it in both trims. Joe, maybe we can switch cars for a week, I'll let you try my TT 458 and I will drive your green machine?

Next, we fabricate the intercooler. We started with a core that is large enough to handle double what we are making in bolt on trim.

IMG_3190.jpg

We fabricated an air discharge end tank that will not restrict the air charge and will compliment the factory intake manifold nicely.

IMG_3193.jpg

Then the air inlet end tank and air charge pipes are fabricated.

IMG_3194.jpg

Once all of the fabrication is done, it's time to remove all of the parts for final finishing. The hot side received a 2000 degree black ceramic coating from Jet Hot. The cold side piping received a black wrinkle finish that looks just like the factory finish on the intake manifold for that OEM appearance. We machined a billet cover for the intercooler with our logo and raised lines to give an appearance that looks like it rolled out of the factory like this.

IMG_3283.jpg

The finished product turned out incredibly well and clearly shows the passion that our team has for the fine art of automotive tuning.

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

I'll get to work on some of the video footage that we've put together as well as dyno sheets and get them us as quickly as possible.

Very nice looking set up. I can't wait to get a ride in it in both trims. Joe, maybe we can switch cars for a week, I'll let you try my TT 458 and I will drive your green machine?

Sounds good to me!! You are the only one I would trust....:)!!

See you soon.

Simply beautiful!!!! Once again, a HUUUUUGE thank you to Jason and his fabulous team!!!

Thank you for providing me with all the information regarding how this new platform works and how important it is to keep all the factory electronics and characteristics of this car. It is very clear how knowledgeable you are in dealing with such a fantastic motor.

I am blown away once again at the quality of your work and how the systems you provide look like they were done at the factory. It pleasures me to see a fit and finish as such and it is so nice to not have to see welds as we do so often. I find myself looking at these pictures for hours and I am amazed!!! I cannot wait to get this car.

I just reflected back on all of the different platforms Heffners Performance has conquered and yet another one for the history books!!!! No matter what, Heffner always keeps the competition on there feet and has them all playing catchup........:)!!

Jason, thanks for the reply and the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

Your system looks phenomenal!!! GL with it all.