RWD Conversion

megachad

I'm really glad that the conversion worked for you and that I could help you with your questions, I'm always open for questions.

I'm glad that you're enjoying RWD, It was definitely the best option with your AWD wanting to give up.

Everyone in this thread who has done the conversion have expressed the transformation of the car's characteristics in a positive light. It is hard to pull the trigger on dropping half the drivetrain out of a Murci, but once over the fear of it, the conversion is totally worth the effort and minimal costs.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Moss
I'm really glad that the conversion worked for you and that I could help you with your questions, I'm always open for questions.

I'm glad that you're enjoying RWD, It was definitely the best option with your AWD wanting to give up.

Everyone in this thread who has done the conversion have expressed the transformation of the car's characteristics in a positive light. It is hard to pull the trigger on dropping half the drivetrain out of a Murci, but once over the fear of it, the conversion is totally worth the effort and minimal costs.

I have a drive on lift. Can you still get everything out without suspending the front wheels?

I have a drive on lift. Can you still get everything out without suspending the front wheels?

thats what I have, but I just used a jack bridge. I suggest you use something like that.

Guest Moss
thats what I have, but I just used a jack bridge. I suggest you use something like that.

I can do that. So I take it you do have to lift the front up?

I can do that. So I take it you do have to lift the front up?

Well, I imagine you'll want to use the SV stub axles deletes, and in order to do that, you'll definitely need to take the front wheels off to get at the hub bolt that holds them in. And even if you are not going to do that, and your going to mutilate the stock stub axles to separate their hub section from the rest of the shaft, i would imagine you would want to do that butchery away from the car, and then put it back in. And so again, you'll need the wheels to come off so you can get at that center nut (36 mm socket needed). Honestly its not all that difficult, dont let this step 'scare' you into not doing it. Get the SV diable stub axles and its a piece of cake.

Jon

Guest Moss
Well, I imagine you'll want to use the SV stub axles deletes, and in order to do that, you'll definitely need to take the front wheels off to get at the hub bolt that holds them in. And even if you are not going to do that, and your going to mutilate the stock stub axles to separate their hub section from the rest of the shaft, i would imagine you would want to do that butchery away from the car, and then put it back in. And so again, you'll need the wheels to come off so you can get at that center nut (36 mm socket needed). Honestly its not all that difficult, dont let this step 'scare' you into not doing it. Get the SV diable stub axles and its a piece of cake.

Jon

Thanks Jon, will do!

Once you do the RWD conversion, you can run aftermarket wheels with no problems to the differential right?

Not a problem!

Once you do the RWD conversion, you can run aftermarket wheels with no problems to the differential right?

Correct, as there is nothing to 'bind' up with. Although they still need to be correct offset to not interfere with the fenders and the calipers, or screw up ABS system. But for the most part, a LOT more flexibility in selection is now allowed.

Correct, as there is nothing to 'bind' up with. Although they still need to be correct offset to not interfere with the fenders and the calipers, or screw up ABS system. But for the most part, a LOT more flexibility in selection is now allowed.

dont you loose the good traction in corners with 2wd?

No because the AWD had nothing to do with traction in the corners to star with.

The car doens't understeer more I could say that for sure. Especially at slower tight corners. I Haven't tracked the car so I couldn't say it's less without being able to go around a corner at a much faster rate than anywhere I dare on the streets. However, if I was on the track and the car started to understeer at least then I could use a little throttle to get the rear to turn the car instead of understeering more. On the streets steering is much lighter and the feedback is much better.

:iamwithstupid:

Gentlemen, I believe he is saying under acceleration. Think about how you could accellerate out of a turn before, and now you have to be a little more forgiving of the throttle, or you will STEP out the rear end.

I dont think he means 'static rate of speed' corning, but more so acceleration out of a curve, where your putting the power down, and now instead of distrubiting it between 4 wheels, your applying it to 2, and more likely to break traction.

Least thats what I think he is trying to say.

Jon

I have had zero understeer since going rwd. My car is more neutral with a tendency to oversteer.

I have a feeling that tires (non-Pzero) will make a big difference in handling characteristics.

I have had zero understeer since going rwd. My car is more neutral with a tendency to oversteer.

I have a feeling that tires (non-Pzero) will make a big difference in handling characteristics.

They certainly will, I've heard nothing but rave reviews on Pilot Sports in lambo sizes for our cars.