Modern day future classics thread.

Robster Craws

5.JPG

Abolfaz what's your thought on the FGT? I'm really thinking about getting one again, but they already seem to have gone up a bit since I sold mine.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could agree with you here but I don't. The 6.0 is simply a dial variant of which thousands were built so IMO, no dice. And the cgt? Way too many built. In order for the cars to go up the way rob has suggested I think they'll need to have some sort of race history as well as production numbers perhaps in the hundreds or less.

The larger engine, different body, and far nicer interior wouldn't have it stand beyond earlier years, especially as the last? And didn't they only make 2k diablos over the decade?

And with only 604 of the cgts making it stateside orgianlly that cuts that number down, especially with all the crashed ones and ones that headed back to europe. Doubt there's even 450 still here. But alooooooot are just garage queens anyways so there will always be a good number tucked away :-\

And the cgt? Way too many built. In order for the cars to go up the way rob has suggested I think they'll need to have some sort of race history as well as production numbers perhaps in the hundreds or less.

How about F40? 1315 produced vs 1270 Carrera GTs

(edit) nvm, i wrote a wall of text.

5.JPG

Abolfaz what's your thought on the FGT? I'm really thinking about getting one again, but they already seem to have gone up a bit since I sold mine.

You can't but them for what we sold ours for!

How about F40? 1315 produced vs 1270 Carrera GTs

Will the F40 ever be worth seven figures or more? The other thing to consider though is how you're valuing these cars, with currencies worldwide going down the drain, the values of the cars may remain constant while the value of the currency you're valuing it in may be going lower and lower.

The f40 while an amazing car is waaaaaaay over priced

Back in 2005/06 when I was looking at them a lot were in the 325-375 range, and I still thougt it was a tad much for what the car is....or isn't.

It goes way up and way down in value. If it wasn't for the ferrari badge and the ferrari fan boy tossers and their "racing heritage" it wouldn't be worth much these days.

In a few year when you can bring them over from europe wonder how much the prices will tank, especially since euros actually drive their cars instead of waxing them for the next concours event.

Undervalued and unloved supercars that are guaranteed to appreciate:

-Maserati Ghibli, Bora, Khamsin

-Bmw M1

-Jaguar XJ220

The Ghibli spiders are already fetching serious money, the coupes will catch up. M1's are creeping up slowly and the Jags are pretty much at bottom. Also worth mentioning are the 87-89 911 turbo slantnose, especially the 89's.

I think 6 speed cars are a HUGE value-added, long term, for collectors. The production numbers are just so much lower than all the flappy gearbox cars.

Porsche Carrera GT

Ford GT

6 speed Murci SV.

599 GTO

550 Balboni.

BMW Z8...I agree with some...I think it will do well.

Alfa 8C...I think it will do well.

Interesting someone mentionned Integra Type R and MKIV Supra...I would tend to agree that those unmolested examples could do well. For MKIV Supras, they are already doing "well" anyways...the resale value for these cars is outrageous.

Probably others I'm forgetting...but those would be "safe bets" I think.

Let's not forget that the op used an eight figure ferrari as reference. I doubt any of the cars mentioned on this thread will ever be worth eight or even seven figures.

I think over time the Acura NSX will catch some added value. Not too many supercars (yes) came out of Japan, and the NSX is a fine example. Does this qualify for modern day :D? I think the Lexus LF-A is another one, I love that car!

True, I think the Murcie SV 6 speed is a good call.

No way a stock Aventador will do any sort of appreciating in the future.

Sure. There's a big difference between a final edition, last manual transmission with only a few hundred made and a car that will have 3000 or more made and is the standard edition.

But I also don't think a SV will appreciate the way I was talking about in my first post... Hold it's value, I'm sure.. Maybe double in a decade? Who knows... But not 20 times it's original price like I first mentioned.

No way a stock Aventador will do any sort of appreciating in the future.

I don't think it will have anything to do with production numbers. There are no more cars that are a special occasion being made by Ferrari or most other brands. The battle to make cars that are easy to drive every day and super cars when it comes to performance go against the event that driving one of the classics is. When you drive a real super car it is an event. It shouldn't be like driving a lexus that happens to have insane performance. It should be something different. The Aventador is probably the last single clutch Lamborghini and might be the last that barks at you in traffic and goes bonkers when you get it on the highways. It is an experience. With the modern soft drive smooth crap all the reviewers are in to these days, the art of the rough driving monster super car are numbered, and I think the Aventador will be the last. That makes it very special to me if that is true.

The Scuderia is much more fun than the 458 and I doubt that Ferrari will ever beat it again. The cars have gone too far with the 'easy to drive' mantra.

The special event cars might be gone forever soon. They will be missed.

I don't think it will have anything to do with production numbers. There are no more cars that are a special occasion being made by Ferrari or most other brands. The battle to make cars that are easy to drive every day and super cars when it comes to performance go against the event that driving one of the classics is. When you drive a real super car it is an event. It shouldn't be like driving a lexus that happens to have insane performance. It should be something different. The Aventador is probably the last single clutch Lamborghini and might be the last that barks at you in traffic and goes bonkers when you get it on the highways. It is an experience. With the modern soft drive smooth crap all the reviewers are in to these days, the art of the rough driving monster super car are numbered, and I think the Aventador will be the last. That makes it very special to me if that is true.

The Scuderia is much more fun than the 458 and I doubt that Ferrari will ever beat it again. The cars have gone too far with the 'easy to drive' mantra.

The special event cars might be gone forever soon. They will be missed.

I completely agree with you this time!!

Only thing I would add is to go back a tad further to cars with 3 peddals, countach and diablo and instead of a scud or 458 try a 355, 512tr or even 360 :-)

Let's not forget that the op used an eight figure ferrari as reference. I doubt any of the cars mentioned on this thread will ever be worth eight or even seven figures.

:iamwithstupid:

Seven or eight figures are highly unlikely, but many of the cars mentioned will go up in value by a significant percentage over time, especially the 70's Ghibli mentioned by Bmwracer. Ghibli spyders are already trading at 250k or so.

Also another car I believe is currently undervalued and will steadily increase in price, Lamborghini Islero.

For Japanese cars from 1990 to 2000ish:

All skyline GTRs (excluding R33), All turbo Silvias, 180sx,200sx etc.

Nsx, s2000

Supra,and MR2 turbo (SW20)

Honda CRX Sir gen 1 and 2 , maybe Cvic and Integra type R (certainly the price has bottomed out won't be any lower)

Gen 1-5 (GC8) subaru WRX STI, Gen 1-4 EVO.

FC and FD rx7

Mx5

Currently:

FRS, Maybe just maybe the R35. That's probably it from Japan anyway.

Out of the topic a bit, many classical 60s- 80s Japanese cars going up in value right now. Like pretty much all RWD rear drive sports cars from Toyota, Nissan and Mazda rotaries.

993 GT2 would be my best bet, there always have been and always be extreme "porschephiles" out there to drive the prices of these higher and higher.

993-gt2.jpg

Albofaz has it right.

Never say never but I doubt anything made recently will ever be worth a fortune in the future, inflation adjusted.

Ferraris saw a huge surge in the late 80s following Enzo's death but was soon corrected.

I completely agree with you this time!!

Only thing I would add is to go back a tad further to cars with 3 peddals, countach and diablo and instead of a scud or 458 try a 355, 512tr or even 360 :-)

I agree! I was sticking to more modern, last 10 years. But, I agree. I mention Zonda and Aventador because they have the looks and the single clutch feel. The dual clutch, which is the buzz word / newest technology so everyone touts it as better, is more precise technically but no where near as much fun. The cars that are the last of the single clutches are the future classics. One day, people will come back around and realize that the double clutch just isn't fun and the shift time difference is not at all used, noticed or important in real life.

I agree! I was sticking to more modern, last 10 years. But, I agree. I mention Zonda and Aventador because they have the looks and the single clutch feel. The dual clutch, which is the buzz word / newest technology so everyone touts it as better, is more precise technically but no where near as much fun. The cars that are the last of the single clutches are the future classics. One day, people will come back around and realize that the double clutch just isn't fun and the shift time difference is not at all used, noticed or important in real life.

I'd like to add that the Dual clutch is slightly over rated...The Zonda uses a single clutch and the Aventador's ISR is lighter and shifts faster than a dual clutch...Don't get me wrong the dual clutch is a great technology, but it's one of those new technologies that everyone is convinced must be the new standard and anything without it can't compete, which is simply not the case.

For the Aventador if they do a limited, light weight RWD SV variant, I think that would be a great collectors cars. As for car from the last 10ish years I'd say:

Pagani Zonda (all of them)

Koenigsegg CC's (due to the very low numbers)

Porsche Carrera GT

Ferrari Enzo (and all the "Super Ferrari's" - 288 GTO, F40, F50)

Lamborghini Diablo (The SV's, especially '99's, 6.0, and the SE cars)

Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-SV (especially all 5 of the 6-speed cars)

Toyota Supra Mk IV (A clean example)

Acura NSX (1st Gen)

Mercedes CLK-DTM

BMW E46 M3 (A clean example, particularly the CSL)

Chevrolet Corvette C6 Plastic mess-06 (Kinda the car that started America's performance car turn-around)

Bugatti Veyron

Nissan Skyline GTR R34 (The R35 is iffy to me)

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

As far as just how valuable these cars will be worth, who knows as only time will tell. But I think these cars will have a certainly collectable and we'll see prices on these cars shoot up in the decades to come.

Feel free to add/debate any car on there. This has been some very interesting discussion!