My Recent Trip To Italy....

Jpegs13

Too much Audi....

My wife and I just returned from an amazing trip to Italy. I hounded her to let me take a side trip to the Lamborghini factory and Museum. So after a little negotiating and bribery of a trip from Florence to the Prada and Gucci outlets, our plans were set.

I had a 10:00 tour booked in the factory and I figured we'd spend a little time in the museum after.

I was curious to see what was in the museum because my father, years ago, prior to his failing health, had owned one of every Lamborghini model ever produced. Including the beast LM002. He now has Parkinson's and dimentia and one day I hope to see if he has any pictures laying around, he was not much of a photo guy.......

So we arrive a bit early..

026.JPG

The first thing that catches my eye is a litle place across the street called "The Bul Bar" ( the spelling is correct, 1 "L")

To my amazement they have 4 cars out front and a sign "Drive a supercar", with various prices.. BUT 2 of the 4 cars are Ferraris! Now I can gurarantee there isn't a Lamborghini within 5000 meters of the Ferrari factory.

We grab a quick cup of coffee and head over for our tour.

I tried to get a private tour but I was told when I was making our reservation that they weren't doing private tours "at this time".

The first thing I notice is the workers attitudes. They look like they're on a GM assembly line. No spark, no bravado, just putting parts together. Ok....

The hustle, look here, look there tour is concluded.

We head into the museum

IMG_20120928_00107.jpg

I was very disappointed to say the least. The "show piece" cars on display are all scratched, filled with swirl marks and just dusty. You would think that they would be pristine and on display as trophies, not as relics of a bygone day... alas...

2 of my favorites:

028.JPG

029.JPG

We headed back across the street for a quick bite before heading off to Lake Como.

It was lunch time and some of the factory guys headed in for a bite as well. If you ever want to talk to an Italian about ANYTHING, doing it over food or coffee. They'll tell their life story.

So, I meet Vittorio, we start talking and I ask his opinion about the Lamborghini brand. (My limited Italian and his limited English made it all rather amusing and loaded with hand gestures from both of us). At first he was very guarded and boasting the brand left and right. I showed him a pic of my car and that seemed to break the ice and he let his guard down a bit.

We then began the "real" talk. He started by saying "Gallardo, Gallardo, Gallardo and waving his hands in circles, then counting off on his fingers, "LP540, LP570, Superleggera, SuperTrofeo....." I got it. Then out of the blue one of his coworkers piped up laughing "Cinese". I laughed and got that one too!

I pointed outside at the cars for hire. A Superleggera, an Aventador, a 458 Italia and a California. I asked him, "which is your favorite?", his reply "Gallardo". I said "really?, not the Aventador?"

He replied...... head down..... "too much Audi"

Which brings me to the next bit....

My next car. I'm a busted up old man and looking for a change. I'm selling the roadster and getting either a 458 Spider, a McLaren spider or an Aston Martin

The brand is dying and Winkelman is killing it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really had to bribe your wife with snobby name brand crap to get to go on a short side trip where YOU want on your vacation you likely paid for?!?!?! Glad I'm never getting married

Anyways, the brand has been dead or dying for awhile now, hell the gallardo is nothing but audi too.

Y solution, don't be a poser with a ferrari, or the "latest and greatest" type of guy who buys whatever is next. Buy something older and pure and raw and enjoy a real drive. Get a countach, diablo, murcielago, they're timeless. And for goodness sakes whatever you get make sure it has 3 peddels!!!

You really had to bribe your wife with snobby name brand crap to get to go on a short side trip where YOU want on your vacation you likely paid for?!?!?! Glad I'm never getting married

Anyways, the brand has been dead or dying for awhile now, hell the gallardo is nothing but audi too.

Y solution, don't be a poser with a ferrari, or the "latest and greatest" type of guy who buys whatever is next. Buy something older and pure and raw and enjoy a real drive. Get a countach, diablo, murcielago, they're timeless. And for goodness sakes whatever you get make sure it has 3 peddels!!!

I had a Diablo and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I have an LP640 roadster now. My 3 pedal car is a GT3.

and the Prada Gucci thing was a joke, lighten up a tad

Jpegs13 it sucks you didn't enjoy the trip, museum was very disappointing for me to, exactly the way you described it, I was WTF why am I paying an entry fee for this?I did get a private tour so that definitely made up for it :icon_mrgreen:

Audi or not a Bull is a Bull, for me anyway, I am glad Audi has control of the company, at least the cars work, they are reliable, they won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Also someone that enjoys a Lamborghini will find the 458 or MP4 too mellow, Aston I would never consider, some like their look, I personally don't and their tech, if you think Lambo is outdated Aston's is archaic in comparison.

I guess it's worth trying something else just to see what you like better, I for one will wait for Gallardo's replacement and if it will be disappointing I will either keep what I've got or go for the Challenge versions of 458 Ferrari or MP4 McLaren when they will come out.

I think they still take out some of the museum cars on the road for magazine comparisons and special events...I know vie seen the silver Ann. out.

I wonder if they're are just using the cars and then putting them back without cleaning them.

I think they still take out some of the museum cars on the road for magazine comparisons and special events...I know vie seen the silver Ann. out.

I wonder if they're are just using the cars and then putting them back without cleaning them.

They look like they've been cleaned with sandpaper

I had a Diablo and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I have an LP640 roadster now. My 3 pedal car is a GT3.

and the Prada Gucci thing was a joke, lighten up a tad

It wasn't very funny

:P

Cars are only more and more nutuered and dull and computer controlled. Your only hope really is to buy older and keep it. There's a race car driver in town I've talked with that's friends of frind with a mclaren and he says what most mags say, incredably fast, but the most uninspiring and boringest cars he's ever driven.

Also said the cgt was by far the best car out there, and ended up getting one too. Trade your paddle shifter roadster towards a 3 peddel targa ;-)

I have had my Aventador for 7 days and LOVE it. My LP640 roadster was a nice car but the paint was soft and scratched so easy, the electronics were crap, the stereo sucked and the roof.......well wtf was that. I love this car. The stereo is decent, not a purchasing decider, but he interface is fantastic. Everything works. Fit and finish is so much better. While not a fan of the new G, the Aventador is a great car.

Im so in that boat 2, I love my 09lp640 roadster i think Scotty and i have the same cars? I look how nice my interior is, when i see the in side of the new car it looks audi ive got 25,000 miles on the ome egear and 60% left.Im waiting for the roadster i can only hope they spice it up in side and rumors of a HP bump.

I can see not buying a new Lamborghini but to sell your current one just because the brand direction sucks?

Unless you're bored with it....different story.

I can see not buying a new Lamborghini but to sell your current one just because the brand direction sucks?

Unless you're bored with it....different story.

He said that he was looking for a change anyways.

I have had my Aventador for 7 days and LOVE it. My LP640 roadster was a nice car but the paint was soft and scratched so easy, the electronics were crap, the stereo sucked and the roof.......well wtf was that. I love this car. The stereo is decent, not a purchasing decider, but he interface is fantastic. Everything works. Fit and finish is so much better. While not a fan of the new G, the Aventador is a great car.

Aventador was a huge upgrade in pretty much every way over the 640. My main problem with the car (other than all the crazy attention) was the suspension set up. Supposedly they have made some changes for the 2013 models to make it a lot less bouncy.

It wasn't very funny

:P

Cars are only more and more nutuered and dull and computer controlled. Your only hope really is to buy older and keep it. There's a race car driver in town I've talked with that's friends of frind with a mclaren and he says what most mags say, incredably fast, but the most uninspiring and boringest cars he's ever driven.

Also said the cgt was by far the best car out there, and ended up getting one too. Trade your paddle shifter roadster towards a 3 peddel targa ;-)

Your spelling is atrocious.

He had me rolling on the floor at "borigest"!

It must not be a prerequisite for whatever he does for a living because a garage that contains a Diablo 6.0 and a Carrera GT is pretty impressive.

because a garage that contains a Diablo 6.0 and a Carrera GT is pretty impressive.

You made me realise that DCX is Auctung.

My wife and I just returned from an amazing trip to Italy. I hounded her to let me take a side trip to the Lamborghini factory and Museum. So after a little negotiating and bribery of a trip from Florence to the Prada and Gucci outlets, our plans were set.

You really had to bribe your wife with snobby name brand crap to get to go on a short side trip where YOU want on your vacation you likely paid for?!?!?!

My wife spent our honeymoon in Italy at The Lamborghini factory, Museum, Family Owned Museum, touring Ferruccio Lamborghini's favorite restaurants and houses, Monza F1 race, renting Lambos to drive around, Pagani factory, etc. She enjoyed it! No bribery involved. 9 years of dating to get to that point.

I was curious to see what was in the museum because my father, years ago, prior to his failing health, had owned one of every Lamborghini model ever produced. Including the beast LM002. He now has Parkinson's and dimentia and one day I hope to see if he has any pictures laying around, he was not much of a photo guy.......

I would love to see your Dad's pics sometime if you find any! Very cool!! I always say how funny it is to me that my son is growing up with the toys and the real thing in the garages. That is surreal to me. I grew up with the toys, but rarely got to see them in person! Very Cool!

The first thing that catches my eye is a litle place across the street called "The Bul Bar" ( the spelling is correct, 1 "L")

To my amazement they have 4 cars out front and a sign "Drive a supercar", with various prices.. BUT 2 of the 4 cars are Ferraris! Now I can gurarantee there isn't a Lamborghini within 5000 meters of the Ferrari factory.

We grab a quick cup of coffee and head over for our tour.

So? It is an independent business. You can open a Lamborghini rental facility outside the Ferrari factory if you find a space to rent or buy.

I tried to get a private tour but I was told when I was making our reservation that they weren't doing private tours "at this time".

The first thing I notice is the workers attitudes. They look like they're on a GM assembly line. No spark, no bravado, just putting parts together. Ok....

The hustle, look here, look there tour is concluded.

They factory is a factory. They are not there to smile and create an experience for the people walking through every day on tours. It is what it is. Working people who are at work in a factory. The museum was fun to me, but I know what you mean. The family owned museum is much better.

I pointed outside at the cars for hire. A Superleggera, an Aventador, a 458 Italia and a California. I asked him, "which is your favorite?", his reply "Gallardo". I said "really?, not the Aventador?"

He replied...... head down..... "too much Audi"

Which brings me to the next bit....

My next car. I'm a busted up old man and looking for a change. I'm selling the roadster and getting either a 458 Spider, a McLaren spider or an Aston Martin

The brand is dying and Winkelman is killing it.

I would not judge a car on some guy who works for a rental company outside the factory's opinion. The Aventador is way more fun than any Ferrari out there, it is build amazingly well, and everything about it is an event (which I cannot say about any Ferrari or McLaren MP4).

Now if you are describing yourself as a "busted up old man looking for a change" then I would recommend an Mp4-12C. Great civilized car. Lamborghini's still offer the 'riding a bull' alternative to 'the prancing horse' experience. It may not be for you anymore. Nothing wrong with that, there are better options than ever for the market your are interested in!! :icon_thumleft:

Aventador was a huge upgrade in pretty much every way over the 640. My main problem with the car (other than all the crazy attention) was the suspension set up. Supposedly they have made some changes for the 2013 models to make it a lot less bouncy.

When I first got mine I was shocked by your issues with the comfort and the shifting in automatic strada mode. I did not understand how anyone could have a problem with it. Then I heard about the big difference in the software update.

I think the suspension software change that occurred in the timeframe before I got my Aventador and after you sold yours probably fixed your problems with the car. My petite wife thinks the Aventador is a very comfortable ride! Trust me, if it was too rough she would not be shy about telling me. I am sure the 2013 will be even softer as they have announced, but the 2012 LP-700 with the latest software is apparently very different than the early deliveries. I wouldn't want it any softer.

I am actually concerned about my Roadster!! I already requested for the factory ship my roadster in 2012 specs with no cylinder deactivation, start/stop or soft suspension. They already shot that idea down. :eusa_wall: Who knows, maybe it will be better. I hope I like it more than the 2012. I will certainly post side by side reviews when I get it.

I just wonder how much of it is really Winky or how much of it is having his hands tied by VW/Audi.

He may be just as embarassed as we are but if he has no money to work with...stripes, colors and an occasional bumper are all you can do. He is in charge so he still has to maintain a shit-eating grin with each new edition.

Considering the facelifted R8 gets a dual clutch and the Gallardo gets pathetic bumper updates, I really wonder where the real problem lies. I don't think it is all Winky's doing.

Ragin', the reason I mentioned the expressions on the workers faces is because at Ferrari, they all have this sense of bravado, they LOOK proud and strut around like doctors at an operating table.

Lambo guys just look like Union workers in a GM plant...... just waiting for retirement

:shock: Holy smokes, You're right!!!

This will mark his 4th username I've banned. It's getting fun now.