Universal Remotes

JP66

I'm interested in getting a new universal remote, mainly for my home theater, but open to ones that also control lighting, etc. I have basic remote now, that looks like a regular tv remote, but would like an easy to use touchscreen one.

Can anyone recommend a touchscreen style one, or does anyone know of a quality iPhone/iPad app?

Thanks

I'm interested in getting a new universal remote, mainly for my home theater, but open to ones that also control lighting, etc. I have basic remote now, that looks like a regular tv remote, but would like an easy to use touchscreen one.

Can anyone recommend a touchscreen style one, or does anyone know of a quality iPhone/iPad app?

Thanks

I have had several Logitech harmony remotes. I've been very happy with them. Give them a try.

I have had several Logitech harmony remotes. I've been very happy with them. Give them a try.

+1. The default answer for a universal remote. They have lots of options and just work.

I have a phillips pronto and love it... But they stopped making and supporting it.

Seem to be the best that Ive had

I had one of the older logitech harmony remotes and I loved it. I haven't had one in a while and have been looking at getting a new one. Do the newer ones control PS3s also? that is my DVD player.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found what I was looking for. PS3 Adapter

I am in desperate need of one... But are there any sub-100 good ones that can control a receiver, TV, cable box, and PS3?

Yes but they may have crabs

I am in desperate need of one... But are there any sub-100 good ones that can control a receiver, TV, cable box, and PS3?

The Logitech Harmony 650 retails for $80. Thats what I have I got it on sale for $40 the day after Thanksgiving last year.

I second the Logitech Harmony One in the above link. It is very user friendly and the "Help" button will actually walk you through a problem if someone unfamiliar uses it and doesn't point it in the right direction and a component doesn't get turned on. My wife, who is not technical, can even use it. Also, if the component you have is not listed, Logitech support will enter the component for you on an update and then its just a matter of plugging in the remote via USB to the computer and VOILA, its a go. I have had it for 4 years, changed some components/TV, and with some updating, it works FLAWLESSLY.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting the Harmony Touch (prior to jhbchess's post). It was only $237 at Best Buy online. Hope it works out well. My girlfriend just moved in so she wanted something easy to use. If she can't figure out how to use it, then I will be eating lots of sandwhiches.

Yes but they may have crabs

So put a rubber on the remote?

The Logitech Harmony 650 retails for $80. Thats what I have I got it on sale for $40 the day after Thanksgiving last year.

Cool thanks! Just in time! Where did you pick it up? I'm guessing the major online retailers will have it (Amazon).

Cool thanks! Just in time! Where did you pick it up? I'm guessing the major online retailers will have it (Amazon).

It was a Best Buy special. And you got that price online too, so no fighting through the crowd.

IF you want a great Ipad / Phone remote many on AVSForum use Irule

http://www.iruleathome.com/

That looks awesome, and once it's setup it's probably fantastic, but it seems like a lot of extra hardware and money for an entertainment system when for the most part the Harmony can do almost all the same things without the extra hardware. It's more of the convenience of having your remote on your phone.

That looks awesome, and once it's setup it's probably fantastic, but it seems like a lot of extra hardware and money for an entertainment system when for the most part the Harmony can do almost all the same things without the extra hardware. It's more of the convenience of having your remote on your phone.

Pretty much. The other thing is you can do a lot more if your equip is web or IP control enabled otherwise the Harmony is the way to go. That is what I did. I have 13 remotes between two systems and the Harmony replaces them all. I even have the remote set up to operate different systems. i.e. press a button and the theater is selected, press a different button and the house system is being controlled, etc etc.