Concrete polished floors

dallas

Does anyone here have concrete polished floors in there garage. Just wondering how the wear and tear is? Building a house and thinking about polishing the floors. Just wondering if it's a good idea? I have heard alot of good things about durability and good looks. If you have any pics post them up please. Thanks.

Sounds like it would be slippery when wet.

Wet, yes. Now imagine spilling some oil on it. It's great if you don't really use your garage other than parking.

I prefer just staining it.

I was told that it's not as slippery as you would think. I guess the sealer that is put on after it has been polished keeps it from becoming very slippery when its wet.

Very expensive to get done properly, as durable as concrete, surface will need repolishing, you can have it nonslip by applying different coating materials.Overall it's very easy to live with.

The downside, depending on the quality of concrete, workmanship and site conditions plus a bunch of other factors, the floor might end up with surface cracks, you can fix them but you will be able to see the repaired areas when you start polishing, also during batching, in particular if the concrete plant uses recycled materials you could end up with foreign objects in the mix, screws, nails, bits of metal reo etc. if they raise to the surface you will only see them after they start polishing, some people like stuff like that but if you want to end up with a seamless floor might be a problem.

If you want a seamless polished floor you can look at epoxy coatings.

See below for more info. You can play with all sorts of colors etc. I haven't used it in the past but I've seen it done and it looked very nice.

http://www.elitecreteaustralia.com.au/epoxy-floor-coatings

Very expensive to get done properly, as durable as concrete, surface will need repolishing, you can have it nonslip by applying different coating materials.Overall it's very easy to live with.

The downside, depending on the quality of concrete, workmanship and site conditions plus a bunch of other factors, the floor might end up with surface cracks, you can fix them but you will be able to see the repaired areas when you start polishing, also during batching, in particular if the concrete plant uses recycled materials you could end up with foreign objects in the mix, screws, nails, bits of metal reo etc. if they raise to the surface you will only see them after they start polishing, some people like stuff like that but if you want to end up with a seamless floor might be a problem.

Agreed. It's a great concept but in order to get it "right", it requires meticulous care from start to finish and the workers need top ethics to get it to perfection. Thar almost guarantee to spell: $$$. The major challenge is you don't see the problem right away; it creeps up over time. I would go as far as saying that it is non-repairable unless you demolish the whole thing and start over as you can most all the repair marks. I see it comparable to tennis: almost everyone can do it but there are only a very esoteric few who can truly master it. :)

Polished concrete is great, IF done correctly. You may want to think about adding a non-slip coating after. Either way a coating is necessary because it will always dust up.

A better alternative would be quarry tile pavers. Roughly the same cost and it's not slippery, won't crack and won't dust. Also it's not slippery. (I have it in my garage)

Here are a couple of pics:

floor_003.JPG

floor_002.JPG

I have polished concrete, no wear signs at all, ran a range rover and heavy van in out for several years, also not in any way slippery when wet, probably less so than tiles, I like it, downside is doesn't look that pretty though, a bit industrial unfinished for a house, could paint, seal, etc it i guess or tile it at a later point.

I'll take a proper pic for you later but in the meantime for a rough idea (floor has no sealant, etc on it, just finished with a power float, prob about 5yrs down when pic was taken):-

CIMG9856.JPG

Polished concrete is great, IF done correctly. You may want to think about adding a non-slip coating after. Either way a coating is necessary because it will always dust up.

A better alternative would be quarry tile pavers. Roughly the same cost and it's not slippery, won't crack and won't dust. Also it's not slippery. (I have it in my garage)

Your floor looks great! What do you have on top of your 4 post lift? :rolleyes:

Love the floor John and the info you posted in the other thread about the direct lift garage door opener. Congrats on the new corvette as well. White with gray stripes is very subtle and classy. I like it!

Here are a couple of pics:

floor_003.JPG

floor_002.JPG

You do realize that car is not allowed on these forums right? jk

I really like the look of that floor though. Might seriously do something like that when I get around to building my own place.

You do realize that car is not allowed on these forums right? jk

I really like the look of that floor though. Might seriously do something like that when I get around to building my own place.

Dude, you're relatively new and have fewer than 30 posts. I'm not a fan of you calling out a well established member on his car, even if you're joking. That car has symbolic meaning to the owner. Maybe ease into your LP presence a little more gracefully.

Dude, you're relatively new and have fewer than 30 posts. I'm not a fan of you calling out a well established member on his car, even if you're joking. That car has symbolic meaning to the owner. Maybe ease into your LP presence a little more gracefully.

Deep breaths everyone. It was a joke and I took it that way from the get go. Hell the filters here always change zed06 to Plastic mess-06 and v3tt3 to POS. It is pretty well known that for the longest time the Chevy was a joke.

I don't think he meant any harm.

Take a look at stamped concrete for your floor. Infinite designs and colors, inexpensive, and easy to maintain.

do you have any sample pics of the stamped concrete? sounds nice

Not mine but I have always liked his setup, polished stained concrete.

I was going to post SW's garage as an exampled of what I think of for polished concrete.

Totally unrelated, but I am in love with his 69' camaro. Saw it in person a few years ago and it's so well thought-out and detailed it makes your head spin.

Pics of SW's stable

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures

139a0f8e3dcfc27d52d2d7ec7cb40928.jpeg

If you get this worked up over a harmless joke directed at someone else I don't know what to say... if the owner of said car is offended then I'll apologize but until then let's not stir up drama by making a big deal out of nothing.

139a0f8e3dcfc27d52d2d7ec7cb40928.jpeg

If you get this worked up over a harmless joke directed at someone else I don't know what to say... if the owner of said car is offended then I'll apologize but until then let's not stir up drama by making a big deal out of nothing.

Igor,

Paul is a really good guy and a well respected and outstanding member of this board as well as the car community. I stepped in for you to keep this from getting any bigger as I know you didn't mean any harm. You may have been a member here for 2 years but you hardly posted so nobody knows you from Adam. Your joke could have been taken the wrong way.

Potential bad joke is no big deal. Potentially bad joke combined with ruffling the feathers of another long time and well respected member is not a good start to a long posting career here on LP. We love our Drama here on LP but not like this. Forget about the joke and forget about Paul calling you out.

And PLEASE forget about posting random cats... :eusa_dance: