Buying a Lambo during the winter

mrrammstein

Hi Guys,

I figured you all might be able to share some wisdom on the situation here.

So there's a great deal on a car - low low miles, great shape etc at a dealer. Another comparable sat on the market for about 4-5 months then sold recently. This one is apparently getting 2-3 guys looking to buy the thing soon. The dealer basically told me I'd have to take the thing no later than Feb 1 to make sure I got it. Not sure when another low mile car is going to come around so the pressures on a bit.

Right now we've got quite a bit of snow on the ground, as well as salt and crap on the roads.

This means that theres no way I'm driving this thing home, let along on the roads to enjoy it until April at the earliest, so its going to sit either at the dealer, or in a garage (trailered there) for 2-3 months.

My dilemma is really this - do I buy the thing and pay for it 3 months early instead of using the money else where, and let it sit somewhere until I can drive it in the spring/summer? This almost seems like a waste of money that could otherwise be working for me.

I'd love to hear what LP would do!

Thanks Guys,

Hi Guys,

I figured you all might be able to share some wisdom on the situation here.

So there's a great deal on a car - low low miles, great shape etc at a dealer. Another comparable sat on the market for about 4-5 months then sold recently. This one is apparently getting 2-3 guys looking to buy the thing soon. The dealer basically told me I'd have to take the thing no later than Feb 1 to make sure I got it. Not sure when another low mile car is going to come around so the pressures on a bit.

Right now we've got quite a bit of snow on the ground, as well as salt and crap on the roads.

This means that theres no way I'm driving this thing home, let along on the roads to enjoy it until April at the earliest, so its going to sit either at the dealer, or in a garage (trailered there) for 2-3 months.

My dilemma is really this - do I buy the thing and pay for it 3 months early instead of using the money else where, and let it sit somewhere until I can drive it in the spring/summer? This almost seems like a waste of money that could otherwise be working for me.

I'd love to hear what LP would do!

Thanks Guys,

It's a car - drive the thing: just had mine out in the snow and bite at the chance when it comes down here in the UK.

If you're worried about finances...well if you need the money to work for you is it going to negate the "deal" you'd get now by a decent margin? If so there's many cars about. Personally the financial issue you've proposed is odd to me - I wouldn't be putting money I needed to work for me into anything but my business or properties; certainly not a toy.

What about putting a deposit down on the car for a couple months to buy it later on? That might be an option to negotiate with the dealer...

It's a car - drive the thing: just had mine out in the snow and bite at the chance when it comes down here in the UK.

If you're worried about finances...well if you need the money to work for you is it going to negate the "deal" you'd get now by a decent margin? If so there's many cars about. Personally the financial issue you've proposed is odd to me - I wouldn't be putting money I needed to work for me into anything but my business or properties; certainly not a toy.

This is not so much an issue of need the money to work for me but COULD be working for me - if its sitting in a car that can't even be driven yet, the idea just seems like a waste to me. Something in the back of my head says "hey another one will come around in the spring/summer when I CAN just hop in and go" but then who knows if thats true

What about putting a deposit down on the car for a couple months to buy it later on? That might be an option to negotiate with the dealer...

problem with this one is that they say they have others interested - is it just a sales tactic or is it for real - I guess anything is possible since its a low mile car. Tough call.

Anyone else?

problem with this one is that they say they have others interested - is it just a sales tactic or is it for real - I guess anything is possible since its a low mile car. Tough call.

Anyone else?

Well you can always negotiate like you would with any deal first...set on a number that both parties agree on, then put down a deposit and get a bill of sale drafted. If it's a reasonable number for both parties and you put down a non-refundable deposit on it as full intention to buy, they can't sell it to anyone else. If they want full asking price (I'm assuming it's a used vehicle) then move on.

If it's the right car, at a good price, buy it. Enjoy looking at it for the next three months and the first time you drive it, any worries about what the money coulda/woulda done instead will disappear.

IMO, if you want your money to work for you, don't buy a Lambo. When you buy this type a car, it's not so much of an investment, but more of a toy/hobby. With any toy or hobby, it doesn't need to make any practical sense at all, only that you will have fun and enjoyment with it.

IMO, if you like the car, the car checks out okay, and if the price is right ........go for it! 2 or 3 months is not too long from now, and before you know it, you will be driving and happy that you bought it! :D

Historically, when the Spring/Summer months get here and the weather gets better, other people are shopping too! The market generally picks up on these kinds of cars, and you might have a bit more competition to deal with.

If it's the right price buy it and drive it. fcuk the weather, it's all wheel drive.

Audi was one of the first companies to galvanize their cars back in the 80's. Your lambo will be just fine...buy a pressure washer if it's that big a deal.

Thanks a bunch for the advice guys! You're right I should just do it a toy is a toy and the competition will be greater in the spring

You answered your own question right there. Not sure if you mentioned what type of car is it but it now sounds like it's a car for fun; it's a toy. Toys are things that one would get when one has a few spare coins lying around. Of course, coins can be used for more "useful" matters but those are SPARE coins. So, consider it as a toy fund. If you'd found the right toy, then buy the toy and enjoy.

Look, the value of anything only pertains to those interested. If you can afford it, and you like it, buy it now. Who cares what the salesman says tactic or not. Make your own decision based on how hard it will to find another one at the same cost that you like as much as this one. If there isnt another one on the market now odds are there wont be one in the next 3 months either. Being a buyer is always harder than being a seller, because you have to say it's worth it to me.

Good luck and post pics if you get it!

I bought my Lambo during this time last year. If you want the car bad enough, you'll buy it. I can tell you this, just seeing my Lambo in my garage makes me happy everyday. F driving it

I bought my Lambo during this time last year. If you want the car bad enough, you'll buy it. I can tell you this, just seeing my Lambo in my garage makes me happy everyday. F driving it

In that case park it over at my place. I will set up a webcam so you can see it whenever you want.

;)

Oh wait you said "my garage"...not "the garage". Dang it Andy!

That one is way overpriced

Sorry for the hijack, but what makes you say it's over-priced? Where do you find a 3k km car for less? Certainly not going to get a better deal out of the US... All of the higher km cars seem to support that asking price... Just curious.

Back on topic - OP, now is the time to buy. Many dealers are already actively trying to stock up for the spring and the price you can get today could be hard to touch in a couple months. If everything is right about the car, jump on it!

Sorry for the hijack, but what makes you say it's over-priced? Where do you find a 3k km car for less? Certainly not going to get a better deal out of the US... All of the higher km cars seem to support that asking price... Just curious.

Back on topic - OP, now is the time to buy. Many dealers are already actively trying to stock up for the spring and the price you can get today could be hard to touch in a couple months. If everything is right about the car, jump on it!

Mileage at 3000kms isn't a massive plus compared to one with 10,000kms. And do you see any of those roadsters selling you are referring to?

Also the same car one year older with some more kilometres sold a few weeks ago for almost 40,000 less and it was at a dealer too. If you think a 2006 roadster is worth 189 then go for it.

Vancouver dealers ask stupid prices because they hope a chnese student will buy it as to them compared to what they would pay in china it's cheap

I bought my car in February (historically prices are lowest in winter) and managed to hit a big snow-storm on my drive home, in sourthern California.

If you want the car, go for it. If you're just getting a good deal and you really don't care if you spend $5-10k more in summer (depending on year, model, etc). Then let it go.