Finally home...but my weekend was ruined

murcivu

Was trying to put the finishing touches on the car on Friday and then meet up with some friend for Sat's C&C event. Long story short, after driving home in traffic for over an hour, the car died in a WalMart parking lot while trying to get gas at Shell. Battery is completely dead...but why die now?

Now I'm stuck in front of WalMart @ 7pm...pitch black outside. Can you imagine the unwanted attention I was getting. A couple of nice folks came to help, but then there were the "other folks" who would just stare, took pics or contemplating on doing something not very nice. Anyways, tow truck finally came about 3 hrs later. Took another hour to load the car onto the flatbed because of the low clearance. By the time the car was in the garage, it's already 1am. What an ordeal.

Was able to plug in the trickle charger overnight and pour some gas the next day. Now...it fires right up everytime. Still taking the car back to the mechanic on Monday for safe measures. But at least we made it home safe and sound, could've been a lot worse had the car died on the busy freeway traffic or out in BFE.

Here are a few crappy cell pics at home...at last.

recent__1_.jpg

recent__2_.jpg

recent__3_.jpg

recent__4_.jpg

recent__5_.jpg

recent__6_.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Glad that everything turned out relatively fine.

Car still looks stunning and so is the house.

Congrats! It looks awesome. Definitely one of my favorite cars out of all that belong to LP members!

As for the battery. Couldn't you just hook it up to some other car's battery to start the car?

Congrats! It looks awesome. Definitely one of my favorite cars out of all that belong to LP members!

As for the battery. Couldn't you just hook it up to some other car's battery to start the car?

Not an easy thing to do in a Walmart parking lot. The left rear wheel has to come off to get to the battery.

Sorry to hear about that. Car looks great anyway. Same goes for the blue M5

Thanks! The M5 is a beautiful package all around.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Glad that everything turned out relatively fine.

Car still looks stunning and so is the house.

Definitely could've been exponentially worse. Someone was looking out for me that night. Thank you for the nice comments.

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Beautiful car!!

Me too! What a scrary night. Thank you for your concern.

at least you cant say that Lambo ownership is boring! At least you are safe and all is better now.

Never a dull moment, that's for sure! Thanks you.

simply a beautiful machine...nicely done...congrats!!

Thank you Roy! Means a lot coming from someone who has quite the collection.

Thank you for the very nice comment. Fortunately, the battery shield forward of the rear wheel well was not yet attached. Still, getting to the battery was not easy at all. Everything was done by feel, after cutting my arms a few times getting inbetween all the tight spaces.

Not an easy thing to do in a Walmart parking lot. The left rear wheel has to come off to get to the battery.

The darnest thing is the next day, I've discovered that there were remote terminal posts mounted right at the top of the engine bay. Would've made jumping a lot easier. Every Diablo owner should have this modification done.

were you not able to push start the car ?

I wonder if that would work with a fuel injected car...? Must have power to the injectors to start it up I would think..

Stunning but sorry to hear. Still, I bet the fact that you got it out make all the hassles still worth it. I am really loving the color!

As far as I know all Diablos have a positive battery junction block behind the driver about mid engine, so not a mod. Jumper cable to that and chassis ground for your jump start. Of course there is the chatter that it will fry your ECU, but I don't see how it could.

Look great!!! Are you planning on wrapping that front end with the 3M stone gaurd? After all the working in paint I would hate to see a rock chip.

I wonder if that would work with a fuel injected car...? Must have power to the injectors to start it up I would think..

Done it several times on my 6.0 just as the POS Optima battery is on its 35th month.

Done it several times on my 6.0 just as the POS Optima battery is on its 35th month.

I think I'm about to have to replace my Optima after less than that.

Glad it turned out ok. Looks fantastic.

Maybe you have a weak battery or the alternator isn't charging.

BTW... exhaust looks ok now with the diffuser. Still go for ceramic black when you do the boost.

Thanks. I will take it back to Mark and have him check it out, along with a few other items. Do you have any pics of that ceramic black?

Wow. Glad the car and more importantly you were ok! Car is looking great!

Thanks. You're absolutely right. The car is replaceable, but my family needs me first and foremost.

Was the battery gauge dropping while driving? How long were you out and about? That does seem unusual.

Didn't really notice or paid attention. I was driving back from the shop for about an hour in heavy traffic before it died.

were you not able to push start the car ?

Did not think of doing that for some reason. The car did start after the jump, but then died a few mins later after idling.

Stunning but sorry to hear. Still, I bet the fact that you got it out make all the hassles still worth it. I am really loving the color!

Thanks. The color is stunning in person. Would definitely do it all over again if I had to. Truly a labor of love.