never give up

Albert-LP

Some weeks ago my car worked bad and stopped along the road at night: i had to call a rescue truck. I was a bit disappointed as i spent an impressive amount of money and time to fix and restore the car, changing, rebuilding and fixing almost every single mechanical, electrical and hydraulical part of the car. Even the wiper was changed...

Why did that car stop along a road? I just had finish to fix the car... 100K of restore and this thing still does not want to work? Why this old scrap worked well just for 50 miles? shall i have to waste 100K every 50 miles to keep it working?

I was depressed and frustrated: i put 100K of my euros in you and you stop along a road... you scrap are a traitor, you are just an old wreckage...

I felt a bit better when the official service told me "sir, the problem were just the fuel pumps, they are 29 years old..." . Ok, i did not change them, so i will change it... other money. Ok, let's do it: I hope this is the last one.

So i went to the shop to take back the car (not a cheap bill): i tested the car before paying and for just a moment i felt myself as i were in heaven. The car not only worked great, but it worked EVEN BETTER: better than a watch. The mechanic smiled at me and told me this: "sir, i tested the car too and i have to say that this car is one of the best working car i have ever driven, it runs so smooth! you can even drive at 35 miles in fith gear and the engine is still smooth running."

During the driving back yourney to my home i felt as i was walking on the moon, learning what Ferruccio meaned when talking " you can put a cigarete upright on my V12 engine running and the cigarette will not fall down". The best 20 miles of my life.

But next day the car starded working bad again: fuel pumps did a lot of noise, the engine did not turn well anymore and lacked power more and more until it stopped again. I called the rescue truck another time and sent back the car to the shop. This moment was the top end of my frustration ever. I told myself "you have to sell this scrap and buy something that works, idiot". I gave up: I had to stop wasting money and time to fix something that did not want to be fixed. This happened on saturday, february 9, a week ago.

But the worst thing had already to happen: this monday i called the shop and the mechanic told me "sir, i checked the fuel tanks and fuel pumps but there is not any problem: the car is perfectly running".

What?? Maybe that old scrap hates me, it works just when driven by somebody else... i have to sell it, now...

Friday 15 i went to the shop, as i did not believe what was happenning: it' was true, the engine was running, and not bad. I drove the car for a test drive and after some miles the engine started lacking power and going bad, but i did manage to come back to the shop with the car still running. The mechanic did not know how to do on the car anymore: he aready did everything he knew and could do.

I realized the car had to be sold to someone else: that was the right time to give up, as you cannot defeat the fate...

Maybe somewhere there was written i could not drive a good working Countach, that car was not for me, it had to be owned by some USA millionaire and not just by a simple Italian enthusiast. Ok, fate: you won, let's sell it.

But friday night i could not sleep well: i woke up and i looked at the spare parts and drawing 5000S catalague page of fuel system. I told myself: "Alberto, you are a power plant engineer, you must find where the problem is, because there must be a problem somewhere". I realized that if fuel tanks venting ports were closed, it could explain all the problems.

So saturday morning (that means yesterday...) i went to the Lamborghini assistance shop and i asked to check the fuel tanks venting tubes: me and the mechanic did the work, with compresed air. We found that the right fuel tank had a closed venting tube (the right tank venting tube is on the left side, they are crossed). There was something in it, may be forgotten there during the fuel tank restore work. After a bit i heard something like "pop" when you open a Champagne bottle and the compresed air finally entered in the right fuel tank, opening the air passage and removing the obstruction.

I did a very long test drive: 100% perfetc.

Now the old black beast is here below in my garage and it's no more for sale: never give up, even if you are just an old Italian enthusiast.

ciao

I know exactly what you mean. My Silhouette provides me a taste of heaven or hell (or sometimes both on the same day) depending on its mood. At the moment it is refusing to start, maybe because the carbs need a few more pumps of the throttle (but I've flooded it twice in the past by doing just that). All will be forgiven once it starts and I can drive with the top off on a crisp winter morning.

I guess if we wanted something reliable we would have bought a Lexus, but where's the fun in that?

Happy driving

Jonathan

I am glad it worked out for you.

I for one can understand your pain and aggravation as an LP5000S can be a temperamental Bitch.

I believe this model Countach lead to some of the not so pleasant reviews of the Countach as most of the 351 units built were done so while Lamborghini was going through bankruptcy. It is also the reason that the QV injected cars are so much more popular as they are far more reliable and have much more power than the 2 valve cars.

Best of luck Vic

I am glad it worked out for you.

I for one can understand your pain and aggravation as an LP5000S can be a temperamental Bitch.

I believe this model Countach lead to some of the not so pleasant reviews of the Countach as most of the 351 units built were done so while Lamborghini was going through bankruptcy. It is also the reason that the QV injected cars are so much more popular as they are far more reliable and have much more power than the 2 valve cars.

Best of luck Vic

No, no, no, i'm sorry Vic.

The car works very well, the mechanics are the problem: you cannot forget to check if a venting tube is close, expecially when i give you 4000+ euro to restore the fuel tanks and you install a closed venting tube... 5000s does not have problems, but mechanics have a lot of problems.

No car can work for many miles if you close the fuel tank venting tube: the fuel pumps will start cavitating very soon, as mine did. Here there is a QVDD that always smells of gasoline when it works: mechanic is the problem, as he cannot fix the carbs, not a QVDD problem

5000S is a great engine, as it combines the beautiful engine layout of sidedrafted cars (400, 400S) and a big thrust than 400 engine does not have. It pulls hard and has an intake sound that no FI car has. 321 cars made, not 351.

But i'm not talking about a single engine: i'm talking about how is difficult, also here in Italy and close to the factory, to find someone who can do a good restore without adding some bugs to a car, as Countach came out of the factory with working venting tubes. The problem my car had was caused by the bad work of a (very well paid) mechanic and absolutely not by a car OEM bug.

Many problems Countach have (all models) are caused by the bad work of some mechanic who restored them in the wrong way or did some mistake: a small mistake but with big effects.

ciao

Albert

In all respect to your problem I agree it was due to a poor rework.

However I have seen my fair share of factory gremlins such as poor T/O bearing collars and sand from the casting process left in the engine only to wipe out the engine bearings from day one.

Sincerely Vic

Albert,

your car is amazing. I am sorry to hear about this error in your restoration. I am not surprised that there is a hiccup post restoration. Older cars are hard to get working correctly. I hope you have no more and get to enjoy your beautiful masterpiece for many many years issue free!

When ever you get involved with 20 + year old cars, regardless of the brand, it can be difficult to get the bugs out. That is why I changed my focus a few years ago to newer cars. But nothing can top the old ones! I miss them! As you know, I am looking for a Countach. It would have to be the right car, but even if I think I got the right one, I cannot honestly tell myself that I have full confidence that there will be no problems at any time. Its the price you sometimes have to pay for driving a classic that delivers a feel and experience that new cars cannot give you.

Best Of Luck!!

Albert

In all respect to your problem I agree it was due to a poor rework.

However I have seen my fair share of factory gremlins such as poor T/O bearing collars and sand from the casting process left in the engine only to wipe out the engine bearings from day one.

Sincerely Vic

Ok, Vick, but we have no more sand today In 5000S engines, as they were all rebuilt. Clutch bearing is a problem on every 2 valve engine: my one is 29 year old and still works... I just changed the collar, a special custom made just for me. My collar has 4000 miles and perfectly works. Cast iron collar was the problem: my one is made of steel so no more problem... i should sell it...

Glad it got resolved for you. The beauty of the Countach is you dont need to drive it to appreciate it.. You can just sit and stare at it..

Albert,

your car is amazing. I am sorry to hear about this error in your restoration. I am not surprised that there is a hiccup post restoration. Older cars are hard to get working correctly. I hope you have no more and get to enjoy your beautiful masterpiece for many many years issue free!

When ever you get involved with 20 + year old cars, regardless of the brand, it can be difficult to get the bugs out. That is why I changed my focus a few years ago to newer cars. But nothing can top the old ones! I miss them! As you know, I am looking for a Countach. It would have to be the right car, but even if I think I got the right one, I cannot honestly tell myself that I have full confidence that there will be no problems at any time. Its the price you sometimes have to pay for driving a classic that delivers a feel and experience that new cars cannot give you.

Best Of Luck!!

:iamwithstupid:

Drive it more and you won't want to sell it. I am glad you have found your problem. Remember it is only human to make a mistake no matter how much you are paid. The place that did your tanks might give you some money back if you talk to them and tell them what they did wrong.

Congrats on finding the problem. The frustration after putting so much time and money can be great. Hopefully she behaves now!

Thank you all for your words. I learned that a a good restore of an old supercar is very difficult and full of problems, but if you don'give up and have the money you need, the result of your great effort will be a great car to be proud of.

When the engine turns as he should do, it's like to hear a Mozart simphony: that's unforgettable.

I have to say that an important part of a good 2V engine restore it's not expensive at all:

- carbs gaskets, carbs cleaning and settings

- carbs links

- distributor cap

- spark timer (just service it)

- fuel tanks cleaning and checking

- fuel filter

- spark plugs

- T/O bearing collar

All these things are not much expensive and all of them, except the T/O bearing collar change, can do without removing the engine: but the real problem is to find someone that knows this, can do this and does not put some bugs in your car while doing this.

ciao

Years ago I ran out of gas. Gauge read almost full. Towed it home. Afer many fustrating days, I realised one tank is empty and the other almost full. I loosen the fuel cap on the full tank and that big gush of air came out.

I just keep the fuel cap slightly loose. One day the tanks will come out.............

Albert your "old scrap" as you call it is magnificent! Do not ever sell it even if it does get irritating every once in a while with an old car. Hopefully it is still in this good shape 29 more years on down the line. Enjoy.

Great news Alberto! Glad it was an easy fix this time!!!!

Mike

Thanks, Mike: that sometimes drives me crazy.

ciao

I am glad you got the car fixed and have stopped planning to sell it. Your old black panther...I mean Monster is a beast and you should be proud to own her.

Alberto,

Great story...and a reminder to us all.

We need to see more pictures of your car....please post.

Brian

I am always up for some photos of your beautiful car, Albert! It's in my top 5! :icon_thumleft:

Alberto,

Great story...and a reminder to us all.

We need to see more pictures of your car....please post.

Brian

When you will visit Italy, i will be honored to show you your former car: you are always welcome.

I am always up for some photos of your beautiful car, Albert! It's in my top 5! :icon_thumleft:

When you will be here for 50 th, i will be honored to show you my old scrap: but forget any idea about driving it... :)

ciao