DIY clutch install on my Murcie

Well the transmission can't be removed from underneath so I went ahead and pulled the motor. With the motor lifted up you are able to access the clutch while leaving the transmission in the car. It only took about 8 hours to get the motor up and clutch swapped. Still have to put it all back together. I am figuring about another 8-10 hours, so only about 20 hours total for the job. We are also replacing all the fluids, oil, coolant, power steering, brake, freon, front and rear diff, and new spark plugs. I only have about $3,000 in parts including the new clutch. :eusa_dance:

Anyone have any used front halfshafts for a Murcie or Diablo? Thinking of converting to RWD.

IMG_3511ps-X2.jpg

IMG_3514-X2.jpg

_MG_7978-X2.jpg

_MG_8003-X2.jpg

_MG_8007-X2.jpg

_MG_8028-X2.jpg

_MG_8023-X2.jpg

_MG_8034-X2.jpg

_MG_8043-X3.jpg

_MG_7994-X2.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. When the engine had to come out in the Diablo after I first got it, I would never have even considered doing it myself as unfamiliar as I was with the car but after everything I've done to it over the last few years maintenance wise I don't think it would be too bad to do. I would have to get or borrow the hoist and spreader bar and that stuff but compared to the labor cost savings I think it would be worth it! Thanks for sharing

Very cool! Fluid MotorUnion recently posted pix on their blog and Facebook of a Murci clutch swap. The step by step photos of the whole process were awesome. They swapped to an ECT Kevlar clutch assembly.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. DIY stuff like this is badass!

awesome job. i hope that adjustable wrench was placed there as a joke and not used..

And using an adjustable wrench would be wrong because?

Thanks for sharing. How did you get the top trans bolts off ? Diablo has no space.

No half shafts here, You need SV stub axles.

Thanks for sharing. How did you get the top trans bolts off ? Diablo has no space.

No half shafts here, You need SV stub axles.

Thanks, there is enough room in the tunnel to reach over the transmission and unbolt all the bellhousing bolts.

I'm a DIY guy myself so I love seeing this kinda stuff. :icon_thumleft:

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a Lamborghini's engine ripped out of it so this is really something to see.

UPDATE**

Saturday the 5 of us attempted to do plugs, AWD delete, and getting the engine back in. We managed to replace the plugs and make the Murci RWD. Speaking of AWD delete; removes about 94lbs from the car. Operation Mini SV complete ;-) Unfortunately, the engine hoist wasn't up to the job. It just didn't have a long enough arm. Called it a night.

Sunday afternoon, after Pmelt secured a better endowed engine hoist and some wheel dollies, he and I tackled pulling the engine and then the transmission. Good tools make a job easy. Also, I can now check off my bucket list: Cradle Murci Transmission in arms. Everything is now mated up drivetrain wise. Next weekend the plan is to get it all back in the car.

And now the pics...

Saturday:

_MG_8065-XL.jpg

_MG_8070-XL.jpg

_MG_8071-XL.jpg

_MG_8072-XL.jpg

Plugs looked owned

_MG_8091-XL.jpg

_MG_8094-XL.jpg

Clutch ownage...

_MG_8108-XL.jpg

_MG_8105-XL.jpg