Who has a dedicated track car?

Camel Toe Juice

I have had numerous track cars and still have a couple of race cars. The main issue one has to address when buying a track car is the following one: Am I going to use the car for track days only or am I using it to gain experience and eventually graduate to racing.

Track days can be a lot of fun but depending on one's need for speed and competition, they can end up being pretty boring after a while as they have to be pretty restricted, for safety's sake.

For one thing, they absolutely have to have a full roll cage and fire suppression system. There can be no compromise in those 2 areas, irrelevant on how serious one is about track days

The next thing, does one want to trailer the car to the track or be able to drive their car there and back. Having driven cars to track days, I would not go down that route again, for 2 main reasons:

1- If you break down or crash, you are without a ride.

2-You cannot adequately set up a car to perform really well in both environments. You will need to compromise, usually to allow the car to be driveable on the street, which means the track performance will suffer.

My personal choice for a dedicated track car would be an older Porsche race car or a Radical. They both offer plenty of spares and are very close to being bullet proof. The Radicals will be faster than the Porsches, especially with the bigger motors and offer fantastic value for the $$$$ as they are relatively cheap to run

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it very much, VI anyone :icon_mrgreen:

image.jpg

Way too much money for what it is, you can buy an old Daytona prototype for 125k and it will be faster than anything you have driven.

My personal choice for a dedicated track car would be an older Porsche race car or a Radical. They both offer plenty of spares and are very close to being bullet proof. The Radicals will be faster than the Porsches, especially with the bigger motors and offer fantastic value for the $$$$ as they are relatively cheap to run

Thanks LPDADDY for your wisdom... I tried to do a search for the documentary for the guy who tracked and daily drive his older black Porsche. (Someone please post the link). It seems the guy had the best of all worlds.

Radical is absolutely the way to go. Fastest car for the track for the least money. Safe, reliable, just plain awesome. Radicals are my go-to practice cars for the off-season as well. You'll learn all about downforce, etc. After you've driven a Radical, even a well-setup Porsche will feel like a pig.

You can get a good used Radical for $40-50k. Brand new SR3 with paddles is ~$110k.

If you really want to scare yourself, though, the SR8 with 490hp in a 750kg package is the way to go :D. I think they're ~$160k

I had this track car for about 10 years, 94 Supra boosted to 800rwhp. Drove the hell out of it for 4-5 years then moved on to nicer street cars. It was a blast for a while, but you get bored after a few seasons, but it is great not worrying about it.

post-15160-1370175214_thumb.jpg

Way too much money for what it is, you can buy an old Daytona prototype for 125k and it will be faster than anything you have driven.

I always go for looks :icon_mrgreen:

If you really want to scare yourself, though, the SR8 with 490hp in a 750kg package is the way to go :D . I think they're ~$160k

My friend in Japan owns a Radical dealership and he has a street registered SR8 :shock: that car is absolutely insane, I will see if I can dig a photo of it with the registration plate on.

Yes. There is a racing series based at Spring Mountain very close to Vegas that radical enthusiasts compete at. Everything is onsite including sales and service.

That sounds like a great facility, there is nothing that can touch the Radical for the $$$, if I wasn't that lazy to get a trailer and cart the damn thing around I would definitely have one.

My friend in Japan owns a Radical dealership and he has a street registered SR8 :shock: that car is absolutely insane, I will see if I can dig a photo of it with the registration plate on.

+1 on the insanity.

They are silly quick.

I read a blog of guy in the North of England driving his to Spa Francochamps once. He must have no sense or feeling as when I drove one on track at Brands Hatch they were just sensational, like someone had opened up my arteries and was just pouring pints of adrenaline into me. I have never felt a car egg you on so much, it felt like it was taunting me through the corners.

BAC MONO looks good and has some fantastic detail on it. The waiting list is large... as are reliability problems.

I am kind of leaning toward an e46 m3 stripped out for a starter track car. Probably do SMG so the wife can get some seat time since she isn't quite a pro with the 3 pedal.

I left a message for Barry @ Radical East. Has anyone successfully registered a Radical for street use in the USA? Maybe as a kit car? I am interested even if it is for track use only, but I enjoy having the freedom to terrorize my neighbors (actually, they would love it)! The V8 looks mental!

I appreciate all the feedback! Thanks Everyone!

Do you guys get the Radical in the states? Nothing better for the money IMO, insane fun.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/uk/

Yes, we do have a race series accross the country that hits all the best tracks. My friend has done it for years and retired from doing it a couple years ago. If you are serious about doing track events AND racing then that is the series to do. Sounds like a good group of guys too.

As for dedicated track cars on the cheap my top three in order would be Viper, Porsche, POS. You can easily find a dedicated used Viper or Porsche out there totally set up with even an extra set of wheels for around $50k and you got a clean set up! It will be used, plenty of rock chips on the front of the car (has been beat on) but you will have all the set up done for you! I would ask them if they have a trailer as well to throw in the deal. Good luck and keep us posted on what you are looking at and what you end up getting!

I left a message for Barry @ Radical East. Has anyone successfully registered a Radical for street use in the USA? Maybe as a kit car? I am interested even if it is for track use only, but I enjoy having the freedom to terrorize my neighbors (actually, they would love it)! The V8 looks mental!

I appreciate all the feedback! Thanks Everyone!

Barry is a member on here. Me and my buddy might get radicals, so keep me posted on your progress.

Agreed with LPDADDY... Cage and fire suppression are a must! Whether you're racing for fun in a slow car or have something that can set lap records. People don't consider the "worst case scenario" enough. So many things can happen out of our control and not having proper safety equipment can really mess someone up. I won't go back out on the track unless I have a dedicated car with a cage myself... Maybe a new GT3 for fun with the factory 5pt cage in it (or whatever it comes with as an option...) Would be a blast and still under warranty!

I drove a Lotus Super 7 on a track and they are a lot of fun but don't know if that would serve your purpose. A friend of mine had one and they are a lot of fun both off and on the track.

Radical is in a whole other league!

Barry is a member on here. Me and my buddy might get radicals, so keep me posted on your progress.

Bill, that would be a blast! Which model are you looking at? :icon_thumleft:

Roughly how much are the costs to add the roll bar, bucket seats, harnesses and fire suppression system? I am thinking it is better to build it out yourself than to buy a car that has beaten to shit.

Also is there anyplace can we rent a beater track car?

Someone sent me this recently and it fits in with this discussion:

http://exomotive.com/

A company that takes donor Miatas and provides kits to strip them down to nice 1500 lb track cars. I believe they are still street legal after the conversion.

I'm also a fan of the many variants of the Lotus/Caterham 7, which have comparable power to weight ratio as the Miata kit.

Lotus 7/ Caterham is another one, I drove a 500 superlight R and that was almost Radical crazy but it was street registered :shock: one thing I will say, English know how to do these cars right they have it down packed, now if they could only find someone to teach them what looks good and what doesn't :icon_mrgreen:

The Mono is nearly there but not quite, most of the others look like the dog's breakfast.

Just out of curiousity since I have always considered getting a track only car since I have a couple tracks in AZ to go to (but do not currently have the time to commit) I queried online and found these of interest in just a matter of minutes...some great cars out there for the track!!!

Here is a link to the pre-owned Radical's in Pahrump. I have been on this track a few times in 2004 or so. Would be a scary track at least back then if you go off the pavement...http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/radical-division/used-radicals

and used Radicals in east coast...http://www.starsandstripesms.com/RadicalsForSale.html

FOR VIPERS...

http://www.viperexchange.com/viper-race-cars-sale.php

Wonder what this will sell for...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Roush-Mustang-GT1-SPO-Trans-Am-SCCA-Race-Car-Fresh-/390604734580?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item5af1db4074#ht_78973wt_1062

Talk about turn key GT3...this is sick!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-GT2...ht_62381wt_1062

And a Porsche cup car...ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-Cup-car-originally-raced-Magnus-Racing-team-both-GTC-and-/350805621883?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item51ada4fc7b#ht_500wt_1072

360 challenge for $85k...personally would rather have a Viper or Porsche but...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Ferrari-360-Challenge-Factory-Race-Car-CCR-FCA-HSR-SVRA-/271213843352?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item3f259ad398#ht_539wt_1062