E3 2013

PCow

Doesn't it? The "Shanghai" demo of BF4 that EA showed during their press conference actually got me excited as hell. When that building went down...sweeeeeeet. :icon_mrgreen:

Imagine that sequence with 7.1 and a big ol' subwoofer. I can't wait to get this game hooked up and put through the paces :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine that sequence with 7.1 and a big ol' subwoofer. I can't wait to get this game hooked up and put through the paces :D

Honestly I thought E3 was going to be pretty boring, with new consoles that are barely as powerful as a medium-range PC, etc, but the software devs have obviously achieved good levels of optimization for the new closed hardware. Running stuff at 1080p @ 60fps with full AA and all effects on is something that even strong PCs typically struggle with without state of the art $400+ GPUs.

And while the new IP was light (as always), things like The Crew, The Division, and Watch Dogs look compelling, and the existing IP like BF4 looks re-energized.

Long wait until November.

You would face the same fate with all of your download content on the current system, and on PC using Steam or Origin. It's not hard to not get banned.

It's prerelease software running on a dev kit. what are people expecting? a copy running on the console would mean they actually stamped a disc, or rolled it out to the cloud for distribution. It's way to early for that. None of those games have gone gold yet. They probably wont until september/october.

I preordered my XboxOne yesterday. I was pretty upset with them, but then i did some more reading and it turns out that mostly they just suck and conveying the message.

the Kinect needs to be plugged in, but it does not need to be on all the time. it can be set to not listen while the console is off. You can also disconnect it once the console boots.

used game trades are left up to the developer to decide. PS4 will have that same fate if the dev wants to include an activation code.

game trading is actually simpler, and more convenient. - you can have up to 10 people in your "family" (this can be anyone you chose with a Live account). Those 10 people can have access to your entire game library at any given time. The only catch is only 1 person can do that at a time, but they can do it while you are playing anything in your library, even the same game.

It allows for your friends to play along with you, even if they don't own a copy of the game. Between 2 people you could buy different games and have access to all them, making it cheaper to have more games.

and the launch titles for xbox are more interesting to me. I'll probably get a ps4 as well, but i never did get a ps3 so maybe not.

I preordered my XboxOne yesterday. I was pretty upset with them, but then i did some more reading and it turns out that mostly they just suck and conveying the message.

the Kinect needs to be plugged in, but it does not need to be on all the time. it can be set to not listen while the console is off. You can also disconnect it once the console boots.

used game trades are left up to the developer to decide. PS4 will have that same fate if the dev wants to include an activation code.

game trading is actually simpler, and more convenient. - you can have up to 10 people in your "family" (this can be anyone you chose with a Live account). Those 10 people can have access to your entire game library at any given time. The only catch is only 1 person can do that at a time, but they can do it while you are playing anything in your library, even the same game.

It allows for your friends to play along with you, even if they don't own a copy of the game. Between 2 people you could buy different games and have access to all them, making it cheaper to have more games.

and the launch titles for xbox are more interesting to me. I'll probably get a ps4 as well, but i never did get a ps3 so maybe not.

Or you could have just read this thread, which told you all those things within the first day or two of E3. ;)

So far pre-sales for both systems look strong, Amazon and other retailers have reported hitting good numbers for the most part. Would like to see some rewards for those who pre-order this early though, a free game or second controller would have been nice. Also wondering about the supported racing wheel issues for both, for Fanatec owners it's not clear if they'll work on either, though the owner of the company commented this week that they're working on it without promising support.

Or you could have just read this thread, which told you all those things within the first day or two of E3. ;)

So far pre-sales for both systems look strong, Amazon and other retailers have reported hitting good numbers for the most part. Would like to see some rewards for those who pre-order this early though, a free game or second controller would have been nice. Also wondering about the supported racing wheel issues for both, for Fanatec owners it's not clear if they'll work on either, though the owner of the company commented this week that they're working on it without promising support.

Amazon reported that they have sold out of their day one playstations already.

You get a special controller (day one edition logo, woohoo :jackoff: ) from Xbox, but with ps4 you do get a free game. Driveclub was announced as the first ps+ free dlc. It will be available to those with ps+ on day one from what I understood of the press conference.

Support from fanatic would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. As soon as they said the old controllers don't work, I knew that was it. I'll need a new wheel for the new generation.

I hope im wrong.

I'm considering preordering an Xbox One- but part of me wants to wait for them to work out the kinks. Maybe wait until Christmas or post?

So this would make all of those games unplayable? Just because you get banned? That's focked! (Braveheart Irish guy voice)

No, luckily. :icon_mrgreen:

More:

In the event any one was wondering, The Last of Us is FANTASTIC. The graphics are amazing, and so far the game play is fun. Needless to say, I have been fcuking up these zombies. Oh yeah, if you are a soft heart like I am, the first 15 mins of the game can be very hard to watch. As far as I can tell online is a 'hobo battle royale' of sorts. Definitely recommend.

Best

PS- The sound engineers of the game did a fantastic job. 7.1 with sub cranked up and all lights off, this game is the tits.

Anyone else get excited about that Battlefront teaser?

A little, but it's far off in the future, probably a Holiday 2014 launch at the earliest. Glad DICE is working on it for sure, should be fantastic.

What, you mean being more expensive than your competition AND offering more rules/restrictions/control of those consumers' games and what they do with them isn't a winning sales pitch?? :icon_thumleft:

Smart move.

They took a page out of Don Draper's book...

"If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation."

Draper4.jpg

so much for my favorite feature...

you can have up to 10 people in your "family" (this can be anyone you chose with a Live account). Those 10 people can have access to your entire game library at any given time. The only catch is only 1 person can do that at a time, but they can do it while you are playing anything in your library, even the same game.

now I feel ripped off. I actually bought in because my brother and I would be able to buy different games yet play all of them.

What they've done here is taken away everything that made the Xbox unique compared to the PS4. Now it's just the same thing but 100 dollars more.

I was one calling for the 24hr check-in to be changed, but all they needed to do was make it long enough so that you could go to the cottage with it, or play games while you wait for the internet to be hooked up when you move into a new place. 7 - 14 days would have been a much easier pill to swallow.

And you could still have an offline feature for anyone with a physical disk and no internet connection.

They didn't need to pull a complete 180. This seems just as stupid. They failed at conveying the message about the family sharing. just look at the video with major nelson. "do you want to talk more about the family plan?" - "Yeah! It's awesome! it's really awesome! It's just so awesome guys!".

No wonder no one knows anything about the way it works, or why it needs to be connected for that function.

so instead of trying to explain it better and modify the connection requirements, they have a knee jerk reaction to the negative press and pull back on all of their innovations. How much money did they just throw away by scrapping the whole plan at this point? I mean really, they basically just scrapped their entire strategy for the console.

There's a middle ground that should have been explored before backing out completely.

I am super excited about DayZ Standalone.

Just finished Last of Us on PS3. I really liked it, the beginning and end were semi tear jerkers.

Any PS3 guys that don't have it want to do a game swap? I've thought about doing this before but never tried.

Best

Do you guys still play enough games for the xbox policies to really make a difference? I buy maybe 3 games a year and when I'm done they just sit on the shelf. Usually by the time games are available used the price has gone down on the new one so there is not much difference. It would be cool to share games if you had friends you play with a lot.

Personally I go with whatever system has the games I like more, lately it is Xbox. Though if they made GTA or Gran Tourismo that was worth it I might end up with both, the ones for PS3 didn't tempt me enough, and as little as I get to play new Xbox games kept me busy.

No it's more the principle. I've bought one used game my entire life and never sold a game. I'm pro openness and think you should own a product you purchase rather than a license to use it in a manner dictated by a terms of use.

I think I would feel I owned it more if I could share it for free with people I knew while I had it: hey guys I got some beers you want one?

Rather than being able to sell it without an additional taxation added on: hey I only drank 6 of these beers because I couldn't share, so I'm gonna go sell it back to the store and someone else can have it.

Just conversation. I found their original propasal an interesting progressive business model once I actually read into what they were trying to do. At first glance though it came off wrong and I can see why some where turned off, I could really care less either way though. I think they really missed the mark with their initial message on the way the game "ownership" would work for sure.

• 2 weeks later...