Tesla price increases... $132k for all the options

FikseSTS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like the tesla is good for people who want to be on the cusp of technology. IMO you are getting a 60k car for 100k. Basically you are paying for your fuel savings up front (a friend actually put it to me that way and I agree). I was highly unimpressed but I have a very limited range of what I enjoy. I tend to like loud v12's so take my opinion with a grain of salt. With the price of fuel looking like it's going to continue to drop it is likely that the growth of the battery powered car(s) market will slow down. It's been going gangbusters so that's only natural.

btw, I work for Tesla now, if anyone has any questions, shoot them my direction. I don't work on commission.

What "everybody" is wondering is if 4wd will be added to the Model S as well. Personally I think so!

I feel like the tesla is good for people who want to be on the cusp of technology. IMO you are getting a 60k car for 100k. Basically you are paying for your fuel savings up front (a friend actually put it to me that way and I agree). I was highly unimpressed but I have a very limited range of what I enjoy. I tend to like loud v12's so take my opinion with a grain of salt. With the price of fuel looking like it's going to continue to drop it is likely that the growth of the battery powered car(s) market will slow down. It's been going gangbusters so that's only natural.

:iamwithstupid: Electrics are fine for what they are, but the "savings" from fuel are more than offset by the price as compared to a similar gasoline powered car. And once the government stops subsidizing them, they're dead in the water for the foreseeable future IMO.

:iamwithstupid: Electrics are fine for what they are, but the "savings" from fuel are more than offset by the price as compared to a similar gasoline powered car. And once the government stops subsidizing them, they're dead in the water for the foreseeable future IMO.

Can I quote you on that? :icon_mrgreen:

Thinking electric cars are a temporary fluke is nuts imo. They have a potential advantage over ICE cars in pretty much EVERY category except quick refueling. And pretty soon one charge will outrange an average gastank by far. They have been shit until recently only because no one had the balls to make a real car, the technology will leap forwards in the coming years.

Having driven the Model S for three months now, going back to a premium German car like Audi or BMW feels like going 20 years back in time. At least.

Resale Price Guarantee:

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/f...e-guarantee.pdf

btw, I work for Tesla now, if anyone has any questions, shoot them my direction. I don't work on commission.

I can't get any price reductions, but I can get you some swag if you want to make a purchase.

Scotty,

Congrats on the new gig ...

I recently attended the following in Burr Ridge, Ill (Chicago area):

"SAE Chicago Section is proud to announce a presentation with Tesla and the Model S"

Very Impressed ... With the Car and the Company ...

It's nice to know ... We now have a man on the inside ...

Price is inline with an equivalent luxury car, maybe a bit more..... price out a BMW 550i or E550 with some options and you're easily in the $75k range which is inline lower Model S, go for the AMG or M and you're in the P85 range as well.

going to be long time before the $7,500 goes away, it's good for the first 200k cars from a maker.....

after going back to a gas everyday car for a bit, they feel ancient compared to the Tesla....

Can I quote you on that? :icon_mrgreen:

Thinking electric cars are a temporary fluke is nuts imo. They have a potential advantage over ICE cars in pretty much EVERY category except quick refueling. And pretty soon one charge will outrange an average gastank by far. They have been shit until recently only because no one had the balls to make a real car, the technology will leap forwards in the coming years.

Having driven the Model S for three months now, going back to a premium German car like Audi or BMW feels like going 20 years back in time. At least.

I'd be perfectly happy if you were right, and the next 10 years or so brought us electric cars with a 400+ mile range (real range, not in optimum weather with the accessories turned off) and a way to recharge them in 10 minutes or less on every street corner, but these claims of the technology being just about to leap forward have been around for decades. As have the claims of "peak oil" and that gasoline is going to skyrocket and stay there. I don't see any of it happening anytime soon.

Tesla is opening a dealer storefront in my local luxury Mall. I think they will do well - considering the Midwest seems to be the "acid test" for many products. If it survives our backwards-ass thinking and criticisms, then it'll work anywhere.

I think they look gorgeous. And considering what they are working with vs. major manufactures, and this being their second real car model - they are KILLING IT. Good design goes a long way, also.

Price is inline with an equivalent luxury car..... price out a BMW 550i or E550 with some options and you're easily in the $75k range which is inline lower Model S, go for the AMG or M and you're in the P85 range as well.

going to be long time before the $7,500 goes away, it's good for the first 200k cars from a maker.....

after going back to a gas everyday car for a bit, they feel ancient compared to the Tesla....

I haven't been in a Tesla, and it may be somewhat of a low-volume outlier in that regard. But the more mass produced electrics are clearly considerably more expensive than their gasoline counterparts (Volt v. Cruze, Leaf v. Versa, etc.). As far as the Tesla goes, I have nothing against it and would like to drive one, but I think Tesla and all the other manufacturers need to rise or fall based on the merits of their products, not government subsidies. Although I do appreciate the irony, given the current administration, of the government subsidizing high-end luxury vehicles for the one percenters.

automakers were lazy and got blindsided by Tesla, now all of the sudden BMW and MB are trying to catch up, when there is competition things move faster....

the next generation of hyper cars all of electric motors, P1, 918, ThethetheFerrari, next generation sports cars will have electric motors, GT-R, NSX, which will eventually lead to electric only, Formula E is right around the corner as well...

I'd be perfectly happy if you were right, and the next 10 years or so brought us electric cars with a 400+ mile range (real range, not in optimum weather with the accessories turned off) and a way to recharge them in 10 minutes or less on every street corner, but these claims of the technology being just about to leap forward have been around for decades. As have the claims of "peak oil" and that gasoline is going to skyrocket and stay there. I don't see any of it happening anytime soon.

automakers were lazy and got blindsided by Tesla, now all of the sudden BMW and MB are trying to catch up, when there is competition things move faster....

the next generation of hyper cars all of electric motors, P1, 918, ThethetheFerrari, next generation sports cars will have electric motors, GT-R, NSX, which will eventually lead to electric only, Formula E is right around the corner as well...

Not sure if by "eventually lead to electric only" you mean for high end (or in the case of most of the above hyper end) sports cars, or all cars, but it's the evidence for the latter that is highly dubious IMO. The manufacturers can do whatever they want with cars costing over $100k as they are very limited production and very expensive. My personal opinion is that the current penchant for electric motors as an add on on those types of cars will likely wane as it is more of a sop to political correctness/save the planet/global warming theorists, etc. than something that is desirable in the absence of those factors. But whether the electric component of high end sports cars goes away or not, I don't think there is technology on the horizon that will solve the range, recharging and other issues to allow the mass production of electric cars at a price that the public will buy in large quantities. JMO of course.

Pardon, my ignorance....

Explain please? LOL.

What is ancient....the type of torque of luxury cars from the early '90s compared to now? :icon_mrgreen:

I sense this might also be a "technology" thing, comparing older cars like the way older computers and cell phones feel ancient compared to what's out now. The cars ride and handle the same but the electronic toys are way worse in gas powered cars, and that's what the fuss is about.

The day I hear people complain about real enthusiast sports cars the same way, I will give up on the entire auto enthusiast community. :icon_thumleft:

Pardon, my ignorance....

Explain please? LOL.

What is ancient....the type of torque of luxury cars from the early '90s compared to now? :icon_mrgreen:

I sense this might also be a "technology" thing, comparing older cars like the way older computers and cell phones feel ancient compared to what's out now. The cars ride and handle the same but the electronic toys are way worse in gas powered cars, and that's what the fuss is about.

The day I hear people complain about real enthusiast sports cars the same way, I will give up on the entire auto enthusiast community. :icon_thumleft:

I kinda feel that electric cars are a transitional technology until they sort out hydrogen.

I was able to test drive one when they had a driving event here. I was somewhat impressed with the car, mainly the power and tq that it had. Loved the display and big center ipad looking thing. That was about it.

Stepping on the pedal with 4 people in the car going up an on ramp to the freeway the front end of the car started walking all over the place, left to right. Almost like a FWD car that has TQ steer. Didn't like that. What I also found disappointing was the lack of attention that was paid to the interior of the car. The seats and leather and rest of the inside of the car felt and look cheap IMO (except for all the computer and display stuff). For other cars in the $120k price range you get a lot more bells and whistles and a much nicer interior, albeit your getting an electric car but still it was not enough for me to want one at that price. Someone else in the thread mentioned your getting a $60k car for over $100k and I couldn't agree more. I would be interested in one if Tesla addressed the inside of the car a little bit better. Coming out of an S8 or any other 100k + car where the interiors are luxurious the tesla interior reminds me of the issues everyone complained about in a Plastic mess-06 interior. Being a former Plastic mess-06 owner I couldn't agree more. Its almost like they forgot to make it nice. Hopefully future models will have nicer interiors to match the hefty price tag.

I've had all kinds of BMW, MB, Lexus and Audi, and driven/own the current ones, ancient is the shifting, lag, power delivery, electronics/gui, ride quality, noise, efficiency, upgradability, interior space, maintenance, looks, going to the gas station, etc...

to each his own of course, I can get any daily driving car I want and I pass on them for the Tesla... Is it perfect? does it have everything? certainly not, but it wasn't car of the year, highest rated car by consumer reports and the safest car ever tested for nothing, it's also an American car which I'm proud to support.....

Pardon, my ignorance....

Explain please? LOL.

Tesla may not be for everybody........hence there are multiple brands of automobiles out there. It would be terrible if everyone liked one car. I think you just have to drive one for a good test drive, a day or more to realize the potential of electric cars. They are here to stay, every major brand is launching an electric car unfortunately most are a quick to the table response to Teslas success. Mercedes is launching an all EV car in first quarter with 115 mile range. Not enough for me, but may be fine for others. The switch to Lithium Sulfide batteries may be a game changer. But with any transformational technology, it will lack some items up front, but will change the world a lot in the not too distant future. Think, just 4 years ago you could get a flat screen tv for around $7000 and all it was is a tv. Now they are even thinner and are smart tv's for less than $500. It just took one company to start the ball rolling. I paid for mine with the money I made on the stock and still have a bunch left over. I still love my Lambo's and will never not own one that runs on gas, but for a daily driver......I love starting my day with a full tank of 300 miles of electricity and thumbing my nose at the oil companies. When gas goes up again, and it will, I will giggle every time I hear someone complain about gas prices.

I've had all kinds of BMW, MB, Lexus and Audi, and driven/own the current ones, ancient is the shifting, lag, power delivery, electronics/gui, ride quality, noise, efficiency, upgradability, interior space, maintenance, looks, going to the gas station, etc...

to each his own of course, I can get any daily driving car I want and I pass on them for the Tesla... Is it perfect? does it have everything? certainly not, but it wasn't car of the year, highest rated car by consumer reports and the safest car ever tested for nothing, it's also an American car which I'm proud to support.....

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize the Tesla was better in all those categories.

I honestly looked at Tesla when shopping with the Q5 (not a fully loaded one obviously, but the one I think they don't have anymore), and it was cool. The interior (since it was only 65k or something) wasn't so bad for the price range...obviously at 100, it's a different story. At the same time, I was coming out of a 30k or so TL at the highest. Compared to my Audi though, the interior seemed a bit lack luster, but I didn't get any seat time as I only saw it through the window. The other thing was that I prefer sedans to hatchbacks...and I'm pretty sure that when you open the rear trunk, it's actually a hatch, not a trunk..it wasn't enough for me to leave it, but still.

For the exterior, I do like the look, but I find in this rare case...the Rear looks much better than the front..almost as if something is missing..I'm not honestly sure what though or maybe it's just me. I've seen one up close when the first cars got shipped to Ottawa (guy parked beside me at the theatre, was kind of cool to see the two next to each other).

The other thing that got me was the range...I do a lot of trips from Ottawa to Waterloo (350 miles) and I'm usually going decently quick (120-130km/h) so I wasn't sure if it would last...I never got a chance to ask the driver since it was 1AM and really cold after the movie. The car I got had to do a few double duties (business, long trips) and as great as the Tesla seemed for the first part, I didn't know about filling it up on the highway, whereas the Audi was fine with 91 (and got a lot farther on the tank)

There's also the 5k deposit (refundable) to test drive and as fun as that is...not really interested. Seems it'd be awesome if you had a different vehicle for out of town/long haul trips.

Edit: Right, forgot the whole, once you start adding things, even the 77k one (was 65 I believe), still hits 100. Forgot about that.

Is the 5k test drive deposit a Canada thing?

No when I drove it they were trying to squeeze a $5k deposit out of me due to the limited production and demand. I refused, but they still let me drive the car.