Steroid use

megachad

From what I understand, medically there's nothing really bad about anabolic steroids if you cycle onto them properly and then cycle off when you want to stop. The problem is:

1) They are illegal (but they were not outlawed for medical reasons, but rather because Ben Johnson got caught using them at the 1988 Olympics)

2) Too many people take them without knowing what they are doing (how to cycle on and off, proper dosages, etc...)

In medicine, they are a boon, with many uses, when used appropriately. There thus shouldn't be any reason why, if used appropriately, they can't also be used to enhance one's athletic capabilities. Certain people get nasty side effects from steroid use (shrinking testicles, acne, increased body hair, increased aggression, etc...) but other people use anabolic steroids and don't have any problem whatsoever and you wouldn't even know they were using them unless they told you.

All drugs have side effects, some which effect people in different ways, and some which can have very nasty side effects in some people. Anabolic steroids should never be used by women, girls, or any boys under the age of twenty-one though.

Medically there's nothing really bad about anabolic steroids if you cycle onto them properly and then cycle off when you want to stop. The problem is:

1) They are illegal

2) Too many people take them without knowing what they are doing (how to cycle on and off, proper dosages, etc...)

In medicine, they are a boon, with many uses, when used appropriately. There thus shouldn't be any reason why, if used appropriately, they can't also be used to enhance one's athletic capabilities. Certain people get nasty side effects from steroid use (shrinking testicles, acne, increased body hair, increased aggression, etc...) but other people use anabolic steroids and don't have any problem whatsoever and you wouldn't even know they were using them unless they told you.

All drugs have side effects, some which effect people in different ways. Anabolic steroids should never be used by women, girls, or any boys under the age of twenty-one though.

:iamwithstupid:

Its just sad that high school students think they need them. I played with a couple guys that talked about it, but no idea if they did them. Everyone I played football against I thought I competed strongly against, or was better than without using them.. I couldn't imagine putting my body through that to 1 up someone else. I would always wonder if I was better than they were if I wasn't taking them.

High School age kids Test levels are so high naturally they might as well be on a mild cycle. Besides, your body, bone structure, muscles, and most importantly tendons/ligaments just aren't mature enough to handle it at that age. Not that I'm a fan or condone it, but if someone is hell bent on using it, they should really train their asses off and wait till they are 25.

99% of the people I see wanting to use aren't anywhere near their natural peak so it's just an attempt at a shortcut, not raising the bar.

Its just sad that high school students think they need them. I played with a couple guys that talked about it, but no idea if they did them. Everyone I played football against I thought I competed strongly against, or was better than without using them.. I couldn't imagine putting my body through that to 1 up someone else. I would always wonder if I was better than they were if I wasn't taking them.

It is, very sad. They don't need them. But today's society puts athletes up on a pedestal and pays them a lot of money. So I can see the temptation.

I ALMOST did a cycle in high school, but ended up breaking my leg first which ruined my career.

I would say 40% of my team was on the juice. I graduated in 2001.

Football is a HUGE deal in HS Down here too.

I ALMOST did a cycle in high school, but ended up breaking my leg first which ruined my career.

I would say 40% of my team was on the juice. I graduated in 2001.

Football is a HUGE deal in HS Down here too.

You mean your football career? Were you planning to try to become a professional football player? (just curious)

I could write a thesis on this subject.

Steroids are more prevalent in amateur and especially professional sports that it would shock any casual fan. Figure skating, gymnastics, track, hockey, baseball, football, MMA, cycling, the list goes on and on. At the very edge of the performance envelope when tenths of seconds are the difference between first place and first loser I can completely understand the attraction.

Doesn't matter if it's Diet Coke, prohormones, or anabolic steroids themselves, anything to excess will have repercussions.

Could say the same thing about dieting as a whole really, which in its extreme form would be calorie reduction down to anorexia levels.

Anything taken to the extreme or abused is going to have consequences. Moderation in anything consumable seems to be the key.

Now please pass me that box of hostess cup cakes.

I could write a thesis on this subject.

Steroids are more prevalent in amateur and especially professional sports that it would shock any casual fan. Figure skating, gymnastics, track, hockey, baseball, football, MMA, cycling, the list goes on and on. At the very edge of the performance envelope when tenths of seconds are the difference between first place and first loser I can completely understand the attraction.

This.

Same for ephedrine or speed or anything else. If it produces a result you enjoy or benefit from, you're going to do it, particularly if that benefit is money.

Just have to stay within whatever the consensus "safe" limit is, like everything else.

You mean your football career? Were you planning to try to become a professional football player? (just curious)

Was being recruited at the time to play for a few large FL Colleges. All of the best athletes that planned on going to the next level were on it. It hit me after seeing a 10th grader benching 415 pounds 4 times-i need to get on that shit....

In america, anabolic steroids are illegal. Yet, women are on birth control. Its sexist.

Why are steroids illegal?

The cause cancer, strokes, heart attacks, acnes, mood swings, weight gain, and infertility.

What does birth control do? Why do they now have "low dose" birth control? What is the side affect of being on low dose birth control through fertility, and then hormones through menopause?

They asked on the local news recently:

"If they had birth control for men, would you make your spouse take it?"

There is...and whoever asked the question was an idiot.

It think its a bad idea. But, if someone is stupid, I think we should allow them to make their own decision to be stupid.

Anyone using anabolic steroids other for a medical condition is a moron.

Agree, but knowing your background I´m curious to know your thoughts.

I will say this, from limited knowledge as I would never use steroids personally. Steroids in general scare me because while they are outstanding at growing power and muscle, they also grow other things, like tumors and cancers. We know that essentially every man that lives long enough will suffer from prostate cancer, however for most men it is either contained easily enough or doesn't mature fast enough to kill you before something else does. But...if it starts at 41 you may have some problems...

I will say this, from limited knowledge as I would never use steroids personally. Steroids in general scare me because while they are outstanding at growing power and muscle, they also grow other things, like tumors and cancers. We know that essentially every man that lives long enough will suffer from prostate cancer, however for most men it is either contained easily enough or doesn't mature fast enough to kill you before something else does. But...if it starts at 41 you may have some problems...

Agreed.

Just the thought of the potential hair loss alone should keep 20-somethings from even considering it. Let alone the long term effects.

Yes yes, I know, "proper PCT and finasteride and minoxidil", and all that bullshit, we get it. Even with proper steps, at the end of the day a full third of guys who do even a single cycle will experience a variable amount of loss that in most cases does NOT grow back.

Think about the trade-off before going for all those popcorn muscles boys...:icon_mrgreen:

I honestly don't understand how people can willingly take substances when they know it will harm their bodies, health, etc.

I see those horrific photo warnings on cigarette packages, still people aren't deterred, I always wondered how many people would hand over cash over the counter for a loaf of bread with similar warning labels.

I honestly don't understand how people can willingly take substances when they know it will harm their bodies, health, etc.

I see those horrific photo warnings on cigarette packages, still people aren't deterred, I always wondered how many people would hand over cash over the counter for a loaf of bread with similar warning labels.

Me either, but look at the synthol stuff some guys inject into themselves, crazy! IMO, if one is going to try anabolic steroids, it should only be if you are at a physical peak in a particular activity and want to try going beyond that peak.

What is the difference between steroids and hormone replacement therapy that some middle aged guys are prescribed?

Imagine a 19 year old kid that plays ______. A scout comes up and say "We're interested in drafting you, but you need to be faster and gain about 20 pounds of muscle before we sign you to your 5 million dollar contract." What do you think hes going to do.