2005 Guards Red Carrera GT in da house!

Leadfoot

excellent write up. love to hear opinions from someone actually owning the cars! thank you.

all the attention for the CGT was probably due to the surprise that a Boxster was allowed in the car park ? :eek3dance:

LOL!!! That is too funny! I love both the SV and the CGT! I could make an argument for owning both all day long. They are totally different driving experiences, but just as amazing in their own right. I can completely sympathize with the EVO article when they mentioned that each time they emerged from a car they would declare that THAT particular car was the best car they'd ever driven. I feel the same way after driving both of these cars--which ever one I just emerged from is my favorite at that moment!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.. I love your CGT! Im trying hard to get one! I like the Aventador... But today both cars at 400K... 10 yrs from now Aventador at 200K... CGT at 800-1,000,0000!

Allan, I couldn't agree with you more. Plus, Aventador production numbers will surpass 2000 in two years and will be much more plentiful than even Murci's. I can't wait until you get a CGT and experience it for yourself.........

He definitely could have been down a gear. But having owned an Aventador, I would say you would be hard pressed to beat the CGT at pull starting above 80mph, like we did. From a dig, or a roll, the Aventador would be gone. But above 80mph your traction advantage is gone and you only have 86 hp more hp (and 75 ft/lbs of trq) to pull at least 900 more lbs of weight. Also, with the CGT's tall gearing, your shifting advantage with the ISR transmission is also limited. We pulled to 140mph which was definitely in the CGT's wheelhouse...

He definitely could have been down a gear. But having owned an Aventador, I would say you would be hard pressed to beat the CGT at pull starting above 80mph, like we did. From a dig, or a roll, the Aventador would be gone. But above 80mph your traction advantage is gone and you only have 86 hp more hp (and 75 ft/lbs of trq) to pull at least 900 more lbs of weight. Also, with the CGT's tall gearing, your shifting advantage with the ISR transmission is also limited. We pulled to 140mph which was definitely in the CGT's wheelhouse...

I went on a drive following my buddy in his CGT for over an hour (he has an upgraded exhaust). And while the Aventador is a bit faster, its not that much faster from a roll. I was at best very slowly reeling him in from behind and sometimes he was pulling away. A split second off here or there or wrong gear could easily change the outcome. That being said, he was always in front of me so he always had the jump.

Another thumbs up for the Carrera GT. I've been driving it a bunch here in the Malibu canyons lately. If you look at only the driving experience in terms of feel, poise, and feedback, it's probably the best car I've ever driven. Other cars are more exciting as a total package, plenty of other cars look better (although a CGT from the rear view is incredibly exotic), but for pure driving pleasure on a twisty road, the CGT may well be the most rewarding car ever made.

It's really interesting, because over the same stretch of canyon, I'm sure the McLaren is actually faster A-B (better brakes, same weight, less movement, much faster shifting), but it just feels so sterile in comparison. In terms of driving experience on twisty roads, imo, the McLaren is significantly less than the sum of its parts, and the Carrera GT is significantly more.

Final comparison: Diablo 6.0. There's only 3 years between them but there might as well have been 15-20. Love the Diablo to bits in terms of look, sound, and presence, but a nimble canyon carver it is not :).

Another thumbs up for the Carrera GT. I've been driving it a bunch here in the Malibu canyons lately. If you look at only the driving experience in terms of feel, poise, and feedback, it's probably the best car I've ever driven. Other cars are more exciting as a total package, plenty of other cars look better (although a CGT from the rear view is incredibly exotic), but for pure driving pleasure on a twisty road, the CGT may well be the most rewarding car ever made.

It's really interesting, because over the same stretch of canyon, I'm sure the McLaren is actually faster A-B (better brakes, same weight, less movement, much faster shifting), but it just feels so sterile in comparison. In terms of driving experience on twisty roads, imo, the McLaren is significantly less than the sum of its parts, and the Carrera GT is significantly more.

Final comparison: Diablo 6.0. There's only 3 years between them but there might as well have been 15-20. Love the Diablo to bits in terms of look, sound, and presence, but a nimble canyon carver it is not :).

Thats why I was soo far behind!

LOL!!! That is too funny! I love both the SV and the CGT! I could make an argument for owning both all day long. They are totally different driving experiences, but just as amazing in their own right. I can completely sympathize with the EVO article when they mentioned that each time they emerged from a car they would declare that THAT particular car was the best car they'd ever driven. I feel the same way after driving both of these cars--which ever one I just emerged from is my favorite at that moment!

agreed with that. like i've said on your garage thread; you have the ultimate italian (within the 'normal' price range) and ultimate german supercar. My next car is either 997.2 RS or the CGT, funds allowing.

the praise the CGT gets is immense. I have only been a passenger in one on swiss country roads, with a good driver. Sound INSIDE the cockpit was disappointing, compared to the v10 scream from outside, and didnt feel like 3.5x the price of a GT3RS. I must drive a CGT myself....

Other cars are more exciting as a total package.....

Is more exciting the right phrase ?

There may only be three years in between the last and first sold but decades in term of design and tech...:-)

^^this. I completely agree. I drove it back to back with my GT3RS and it just feels completely different. The dynamics are quite distinguishable--you'd know instantly if you were blindfolded which car you were driving. I still love having the RS for the track though--there it is completely at home and it takes everything you can throw at it and begs for more without so much as a hiccup...

• 2 weeks later...
LamboNutter, I've owned two GT3s. They're awesome cars, but the CGT is on a completely different level.

i know leadfoot has written a comparison; but i'm sure i'm not alone in being eager to read more comparison from owners. if you care to elaborate please.

^^this. I completely agree. I drove it back to back with my GT3RS and it just feels completely different. The dynamics are quite distinguishable--you'd know instantly if you were blindfolded which car you were driving. I still love having the RS for the track though--there it is completely at home and it takes everything you can throw at it and begs for more without so much as a hiccup...

damn you guys :) I want a CGT even more now.

I've driven several GT3RS (the 997.1 & 997.2) and really do love them. Leadfoot, as i've said before, apart from the I-hit-the-jackpot garages of some; having the SV, CGT and a gt3rs 3.8 is just the ultimate. Congrats!! One day i will add a CGT to keep my SV company at home. Could maybe make the track car, switch the RS for a 458 Challenge race car, or a 430 GTC, or something along those lines :D , if one lives close to a race track(s). Would be epic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It will be much loader than your SV with the innotech, perhaps the most beautiful sound vibrations your ears will ever experience!

I don't usually post my videos but here's one I got from a friends white CGT with straight pipes as well for your hearing pleasure...

Holy :monkeyleft:

Leadfoot: isn't that your CGT?

1891181_10202311275318067_2005002837_n.j

I believe that's the OTHER red CGT in town. It has 9500 mi on it and no straight pipes--that's the only way to distinguish between the 2. A very good friend of mine owns it!