Kebab lets talk about it

Modo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Modo, everyone agreed it was the best kebab yet. Guess what kind of meat I used.

I kick you in the balls if you say pork

100% heritage raised Berkshire pork. It was awesome. Didn't even plan it. That's what my wife had thawed out when I got home from work. I was wearing my Infidel shirt to make it official.

This really isn't fair!!

Fortis, I agree. You shouldn't have trouble finding your own though.

IMAG0388_zpspr8kurtc.jpg

I will have one of these in my next kitchen.

IMAG0110_zpsfqnxsedx.jpg

Christiann, here's sixteen pounds of prime bone in ribeye from last year.

IMAG0122_zpsq3azigoe.jpg

I think my wife is trying to kill me. This is what I woke up to/was drug out of bed for. Poutine made with short rib meat and gravy, kebab meat, cheddar cheese curds, fried potatoes and onions, and a fried egg.

IMAG0491_zpsrvvu2bsf.jpg

With due respect but quite honestly, I don't even know why it's labelled as Kobe beef, be it from AUS or USA, it's not even remotely close.

AudiBull I want the real thing, few years ago I went to Kobe Japan just to have steak :icon_mrgreen: I will look for some photos.

I've only had the real thing three times. In Hawaii at at an awesome but now defunct restaurant named Monette's where A5 was $70 AN OZ (It was still worth it). In Vegas sliced thin served on a hot stone and covered in truffles, probably the best thing I've ever had. I somehow managed to get a pic before it was gone.

IMAG0150_zps7f402c5a.jpg

The third was at a steakhouse in Chicago that claimed to be the only one serving real Kobe. The display cart looked great, but I'm pretty sure they pulled a bait and switch. The bone in ribeye I had was underwhelming to say the least.

Just got back from a four hour grocery adventure. Picked up some kebab supplies for next time.

IMAG0499_zpsditkfi6z.jpg

You know it's a good day when you can take a break in the middle of the store and enjoy some $1 oysters and $1 PBR. They were awesome.

IMAG0497_zpscrzrp6vs.jpg

With due respect but quite honestly, I don't even know why it's labelled as Kobe beef, be it from AUS or USA, it's not even remotely close.

:iamwithstupid:

I know, should have been labelled wagyu. If it's not FROM Kobe, it's not Kobe. I just thought it was funny because I posted a picture of the steak and Fortis complimented it. Didn't notice where it was from til later.

It was still pretty damn good.

IMAG0352_zps41ef75e3.jpg

I know, should have been labelled wagyu. If it's not FROM Kobe, it's not Kobe. I just thought it was funny because I posted a picture of the steak and Fortis complimented it. Didn't notice where it was from til later.

It was still pretty damn good.

IMAG0352_zps41ef75e3.jpg

No worries, it was a general comment on the beef and was not a response specifically targeting you. Hope it didn't come across as such.

Again, nothing specific but even "wagyu" is questionable as that only means literally "Japanese cow". So are the beef from cows that were offspring of a cow from Japan ? Absolutely sure that it is tasty but somehow it just tastes different: maybe variances in the feed, how the cows were raised, environment, cooking preparation? Who knows? That's not to say nothing else is better, not at all; just that I have never tried a Japanese-style steak dinner using US/AUS wagyu beef that comes even close to that of the original from Japan. A good steak in Western style is fantastic and I had tried US/AUS Kobe beef cooked in Western style on many occasions and all were great. But when cooked in Japanese style, it just tasted different and inferior.

No worries, it was a general comment on the beef and was not a response specifically targeting you. Hope it didn't come across as such.

Again, nothing specific but even "wagyu" is questionable as that only means literally "Japanese cow". So are the beef from cows that were offspring of a cow from Japan ? Absolutely sure that it is tasty but somehow it just tastes different: maybe variances in the feed, how the cows were raised, environment, cooking preparation? Who knows? That's not to say nothing else is better, not at all; just that I have never tried a Japanese-style steak dinner using US/AUS wagyu beef that comes even close to that of the original from Japan. A good steak in Western style is fantastic and I had tried US/AUS Kobe beef cooked in Western style on many occasions and all were great. But when cooked in Japanese style, it just tasted different and inferior.

No offense taken at all. I hope to eat some Japanese wagyu/Kobe/Aukashi beef IN Japan at some point. I absolutely love real Japanese food of all sorts. I am also a strong believer in the concept of mind set and atmosphere really affecting our individual dining experience. I've read and seen studies done involving the same exact food served with different lighting, table settings, surrounding decorations, smells, etc. and it really is amazing how much these things can change a dining experience without us even noticing. I imagine that the exact same meat prepared in the US wouldn't seem quite as satisfying as if you were in Japan and eating it in a formal setting. Just knowing you are there and experiencing something very special has to make a huge subconscious difference.

I buy whole sides of beef, whole hogs, and lambs to split up with my family. One thing I have definitely realized is how big a difference there is between grass fed vs. grain fed. I prefer the flavor of grain fed, although the gamy flavor of grass fed is nice on occasion, although it tends to be leaner. I have a feeling that the big difference between the NZ,AUS,USA Aukashi cows when compared to the Japanese raised animals is the feed. The Japanese are mostly grain fed while the others tend to be pasture and grass fed. The fact that grain fed animals tend to be less active is probably the reason the Japanese marbling is unparalleled. I am curious as to whether the whole massages and beer lore that everyone hears is true or just marketing and legend at this point. I have a feeling this also has something to do with it.

"Fifty years ago the Japan Association of Akaushi registration was created in order to collect, manage and process all Akaushi data. The Association has collected carcass performance, breeding pedigrees and economic data for every animal on the entire breed. These data have been use by master geneticists and scientists in the selection of every Akaushi dam and sire over the last half-century. At the same time, the Kumamoto Prefecture Agricultural Research Center has used these data to select prospective sire and dam lines to be utilized for further genetic improvement. Consequently, new sire and dam lines are only released for general production after they have been proven meritorious by extensive and accurate statistical analysis, using a sophisticated progeny-testing model."

I did manage to find this place, and should have some Miyazaki A5 ribeyes waiting for me tomorrow. :eusa_dance:

There is a great traditional Japanese restaurant near me that was opened by Toyota execs. I've been eating there since it opened almost ten years ago. I'm tempted to ask if they could prepare one for me so I can compare it to my experience with the same steaks at home.

AudiBull that Kobe steak looks awesome, I went to Kobe last year just to have steak, I will see if I can dig some photos.

AudiBull I want the real thing, few years ago I went to Kobe Japan just to have steak :icon_mrgreen: I will look for some photos.

Still waiting for pictures. :icon_mrgreen:

Great looking bit of beef there. I made a kickass steak sandwich at lunch that literally took me to a happy place. I have made some pulled pork for tonight but I do not think it is my best work

Thank you AudiBull for the informative post. :icon_thumleft:

I had the opportunity to visit a farm in Kumamoto a few years ago. I didn't see any massage or beer thing. I did ask the operators about them and his respond was that a few decades ago it was practiced at some point but modern science in feed and proper breeding had superseded those practices. It is relatively more of a legend and a good marketing tool at this point.

I am envious of what you and Christiann can have access to. Miyazaki A5 :aiwebs_012: wow!

Interesting you mentioned about the mindset and the dinning ambiance. I think that is spot on with what a Japanese Kiseki Dinner course is trying to achieve. And your points are certainly very valid. On the other hand, I guess having friends and relatives over for a BBQ at one's backyard on a nice warm sunny day serving AAA Angus beef would have a similar effect.

Sorry, I will do it tomorrow I will have to try to locate the SD card.

No hurry, I was just razzing you because the posts were so similar. I know you have a lot going on. :icon_thumleft:

No hurry, I was just razzing you because the posts were so similar. I know you have a lot going on. :icon_thumleft:

:lol2:

That's hilarious!!