Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Engine is ready to come out. However, I have somewhat of a dilemma which is that I've seen people removing the engine with engine jacks made for motorcycles. I have one. However, I haven't found any that are specifically "wide" and every engine drop picture I've seen with those seem to be dropping the engine out via the oil pan... is that.... correct? I feel like bracing it on the frame would be the best place to do it. However, I'm having a hard time visualizing how that would be done since the oil pan is right in the way.

Anyone have any tips? Is allowing it to drop slowly via the oil pan OK? I feel like that's far too risky.

(edit) Disregard, found several pictures of people removing the engine and all of which using the same jack have used the oil pan, ensuring it is on the sides and not directly in the middle to spread out the load. I am waiting for fluids to drain so I don't make an enormous mess and then the engine comes out (probably tomorrow).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am excited to see it when it comes out. Please post lots of pics. I love these projects. This project brings back memories of mine.

FYI, I used a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight to pull my 996 motor and LS1 motor. I used nylon ratchet straps to secure the engines. It worked very well, stable, and CHEAP.

FYI, I used a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight to pull my 996 motor and LS1 motor. I used nylon ratchet straps to secure the engines. It worked very well, stable, and CHEAP.

That's exactly what i'm using lol. They seem to be well enough built, 1500lb capacity, more than enough, and easy to use.

Alright, engine is... well, MOSTLY out. My problem is:

The rear mounts came out easily. The forward mounts do not want to hardly separate. Both bolts are out. However, it needs to slide towards the back of the car. I can get them oh so far but they do not want to come out ALL the way. It's almost like they are hung up on something. However, I see nothing the engine could be hung up on.

I found that if I tilt the engine ever so slightly (using a jack, propping up the rear of the subframe) they will budge more. The driver side is just about freaking out. The passenger side comes out maybe half a centimeter and then refuses to go any further as if it is just hanging onto something. The exhaust clears so that doesn't appear to be the issue. I know that the engine is a tight fit up against the lining, and it sort of touches it, but the engine should tilt/rock and it just refuses to go any further.

Anyone familiar dropping the engine on these things or an urraco (they're the same is my understanding) on getting the forward mounts separated? Bueller?

A member on another forum has advised me, "you're doing it wrong." It's not the large bolts for the forward mounts, but the smaller 6 bolts that come out to drop the engine. Makes sense as to why the subframe has holes for them. However, I'm totally beat today and do not have any more energy after fighting with it all day. I'm pretty much there, so I'll take down today as a victory for progress. Tomorrow is another day.

A member on another forum has advised me, "you're doing it wrong." It's not the large bolts for the forward mounts, but the smaller 6 bolts that come out to drop the engine. Makes sense as to why the subframe has holes for them. However, I'm totally beat today and do not have any more energy after fighting with it all day. I'm pretty much there, so I'll take down today as a victory for progress. Tomorrow is another day.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+engine+removal

Yeah I've seen that but didn't see them removing the smaller bolts on the mounts. I guess my line of thinking was, "The rear mounts use these giant bolts... and the forward mounts use the giant bolts. So obviously I remove those and it slides back." but not the case, apparently. Instead, the entire brackets come out. I'll get them tomorrow. Too tired right now to bother.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's out. Time for a cigar.

vk9K4iYl.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's out. Time for a cigar.

vk9K4iYl.jpg

ENJOY!!!!

and put some headers on that engine... those look terrible!

ENJOY!!!!

and put some headers on that engine... those look terrible!

Yeah, they are horrid. It's obvious that they've attempted to be repaired multiple times. They've got some nasty welds here and there and the rest of the exhaust is pretty terrible. For sure will get a new exhaust when the time comes. It's been patch welded here and there all over the place. I'm looking forward to taking it all apart, cleaning it up, rebuilding it and making it look great :)

Does anyone know if US exhaust and Euro market exhaust setups are one and the same in terms of fitment for the Jalpa, especially on a US car? Is the only difference emissions?

I assume they would bolt up, but the rear bumper on the US car might be bigger and might require the exhaust be routed differently. Google images would probably be able to confirm any differences.

I assume they would bolt up, but the rear bumper on the US car might be bigger and might require the exhaust be routed differently. Google images would probably be able to confirm any differences.

Yeah the most notable differences I've found thus far are:

- My exhaust seems to have extra metal welded around the header bits.... I'm assuming that's a heat thing, to reduce heat in the engine bay.

- Euro exhaust doesn't appear to have this.

- The original lambo exhaust appears to be a single box for euro bits

- US model exhaust from what I've seen has bungs welded up for inlets for the air pump for emissions as well as a weird muffler and 2 cats

- Euro exhaust appears to have none of the above and is just 4 to 1 headers going into a single box with 2 inlets.

Got the carbs off, plenums off and I have to say... what a royal pain in the butt. I had to buy a few cheap wrenches and tools and use a grinder and cutting wheel to "make" a wrench suitable to remove them all. Certainly a pain to remove all the little nuts that hold on the DCNF webers.

A buddy came over from portland to hang out. We had some cigars and whiskey along with working on the lambo, so it was pretty fun. Feels good to have the engine out on the garage floor to finally start the teardown. As progress is made, pictures will be taken and I'll be sure to document as much as possible :)

Yeah the most notable differences I've found thus far are:

- My exhaust seems to have extra metal welded around the header bits.... I'm assuming that's a heat thing, to reduce heat in the engine bay.

- Euro exhaust doesn't appear to have this.

- The original lambo exhaust appears to be a single box for euro bits

- US model exhaust from what I've seen has bungs welded up for inlets for the air pump for emissions as well as a weird muffler and 2 cats

- Euro exhaust appears to have none of the above and is just 4 to 1 headers going into a single box with 2 inlets.

Sounds like you should get an EU exhaust or make your own.

Found a company who specifically makes bolt in throttle bodies in placement of the DCNF webers for EFI conversions. Sending them some pictures of the linkage and setup so they can determine the best way to do this. They are far smaller than the DCNF webers, compact, same airhorn size. Working on them would be a breeze.

Only concerns are how far the fuel rail sticks out and ensuring they are compatible with the linkage (I think they will be). Even though they are made for ferrari 308, should be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Tearing down some of the engine today. Time has not been kind to the exterior of this engine.

However, as I tore off some components such as the distributor, oil cap and took a peek inside a bit... it is astonishingly CLEAN inside, clean as a whistle. Nothing that some media blasting and hot tanking can't cure once the engine is apart. I only worked on it for an hour or so. But I got a good bit of it taken apart.

OEB8BR8.jpg

After an hour or so of disassembling, some visible progress.

a5kppLz.jpg

I seem to recall an engine in here.

41ZN6Vr.jpg

Good weather for tinkering!

And flying! Took a weekend off last week to go flying, felt amazing. But the weather is warm and welcoming to working on the Jalpa finally as well.

One manpower Jalpa!

Yep, but it's only capable of powering it a block or so and runs strictly on caffeine. Not too efficient. I guess I need to do a Jalpa 3.5L V8 swap.

Yep, but it's only capable of powering it a block or so and runs strictly on caffeine. Not too efficient. I guess I need to do a Jalpa 3.5L V8 swap.

What you need my friend is a CTD tune, you need more men :icon_mrgreen: