What’s the most under whelming exotic you have ever driven?

abolfaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Corvete C6, don't know if you consider it exotic but it sure didn't feel like one.

Was wondering if the POS shares it's suspention with the Malibu and Corsica.

I am surprised by your thoughts on the C6. I would htink it would be fast as shit. I need to drive one.

I drove one(c6) with the Z51 package 6 speed with some "vortex" intake? from breathless performance.. The car was a blast to me.. Handled excellent, brakes were great, acceleration was amazing, overall i think it was a great deal for the price. Nothing competes with it in that price range as far as a new car.

No offense rakjoe, but if i had a murcie i would probably think many cars were shitty as well.

if i had a murcie i would probably think many cars were shitty as well.

Exactly. Which is why a lot of us feel that yes while the plastic-mobile is a great bargain, it's not something we'd want at any price.

Take price/value out of your equation. Compare all cars equally. Because if you do well the next few years, play it smart, win the lotto, whatever, that's how you'll make purchase decisions. You wont base them off of "bang for the buck" and the opinions of $50k-per-year automotive journalists.

I've only driven a 360 in Malaysia :(

cant compare yet. but as a first-timer on an exotic, it was awesome!

dont ban me plz.

87 Testarossa. I have a Viper and NSX now and always wanted a "true" exotic. I was very disappointed. The owner ran down a huge list of things not to do while test driving it. He acted as if it were made of glass. I think that my bottle of water got stuck under the gas pedal. Sllooooowwwwww. I just picked up another 99GTS and plan on sending it to Heffner in a few months.

Most of you Viper owners know the test drive routine. 1st gear, 4K RPM's, dump clutch and be sure she smokes the tires til 3rd gear. I have a 94 NSX to compare it to and the NSX is has much better fit and finish, but I often find myself leaning forward in the NSX trying to get it to go faster.

A good comparison of the TR to me would be an early NSX. Supercharge or turbo the NSX and it's light years ahead of the TR.

Stroked viper, an NSX will never have the soul or excitement of a Ferrari, sorry. It's a japanese POS, and all the rules apply accordingly.

I know this is a Lambo forum and all , but you guys gotta be consistent. If F355 = "slow POS", then how can the NSX stand any possible praise?? The only thing it has on the Ferrari are Consumer Reports worthy qualities, nothing a car guy fantasizes over.

And a TR, while not exactly god's gift in handling/braking in this day and age, is still a powerful, great sounding car.

I guess the TR and 355 are underwhelming in the sense that people expect these things to be F40/Diablo fast, and when they aren't, they're junk, IMHO.

I know this is a Lambo forum and all , but you guys gotta be consistent. If F355 = "slow POS", then how can the NSX stand any possible praise?? The only thing it has on the Ferrari are Consumer Reports worthy qualities, nothing a car guy fantasizes over..

Maybe because a 97 NSX costs 1/2 of what a 355 does. It is nearly as fast. Sounds nearly as good and is 10000x more reliable.

Stroked viper, an NSX will never have the soul or excitement of a Ferrari, sorry. It's a japanese corvette, and all the rules apply accordingly.  

I know this is a Lambo forum and all , but you guys gotta be consistent. If F355 = "slow POS", then how can the NSX stand any possible praise?? The only thing it has on the Ferrari are Consumer Reports worthy qualities, nothing a car guy fantasizes over.

And a TR, while not exactly god's gift in handling/braking in this day and age, is still a powerful, great sounding car.  

I guess the TR and 355 are underwhelming in the sense that people expect these things to be F40/Diablo fast, and when they aren't, they're junk, IMHO.

Goliath, no offense, but your post is exactly, and I mean exactly, what many of us are tired of on L-Power. How many of the cars that you named in this post have you personally driven with aggression?

Please list for us your driving experiences in a current NSX (3.2L six-speed), 355, and TR. Again, this is not an attack on you at all, please don't misunderstand me, I like your posts on the site and find you funny. But I'm using it as an example of how debates among those of us who have driven these cars, as has been the case in this thread until your post, are spiked/led-astray by those who are simply "passionate fans" about them with zero real world experience.

If you have driven each of them, at speed, then I apologize to you personally and would like you to post more details so that I can understand your position. If you have not driven these cars, then you need to be quiet, and READ and LEARN from those who have. And not parrot nonsense that others have written in magazines as you did regarding the NoSeX. :)

Stroked viper, an NSX will never have the soul or excitement of a Ferrari, sorry. It's a japanese corvette, and all the rules apply accordingly.  

This is my take on this. The Nsx, firstly is not in Corvette status due to rarity. They are very scarce. For the money, for the uniqueness, for the power, the Nsx is every bit equal to, in somecases better than same series Fcars. A 3.2 Nsx will give a TR an asswhooping.

Goliath, no offense, but your post is exactly, and I mean exactly, what many of us are tired of on L-Power. How many of the cars that you named in this post have you personally driven with aggression?  

Please list for us your driving experiences in a current NSX (3.2L six-speed), 355, and TR. Again, this is not an attack on you at all, please don't misunderstand me, I like your posts on the site and find you funny. But I'm using it as an example of how debates among those of us who have driven these cars, as has been the case in this thread until your post, are spiked/led-astray by those who are simply "passionate fans" about them with zero real world experience.

If you have driven each of them, at speed, then I apologize to you personally and would like you to post more details so that I can understand your position. If you have not driven these cars, then you need to be quiet, and READ and LEARN from those who have. And not parrot nonsense that others have written in magazines as you did regarding the NoSeX. :)

I could not have said it better myself.

I drove that 512 with aggression and left the test drive with depression. Remember the 512's only "competition" was the diablo. I've never driven an early diablo but I have to imagine its got to be better than what the 512 was.

No offense to you NSX owners, but....boring...slowwwwwww. I always liked the look of the Nsx but once i drove one i hated it, no excitement, no character. Talking about dollar for dollar, the early Esprits blow them all away, fast and fun to drive.

And by the way.... I've driven them all, and owned many of them.

No offense to you NSX owners, but....boring...slowwwwwww. I always liked the look of the Nsx but once i drove one i hated it, no excitement, no character.  Talking about dollar for dollar, the early Esprits blow them all away, fast and fun to drive.

After driving a 89 esprit turbo SE vs my 93 NSX, I would completely disagree with that. However, the NSX isn't much fun on the street. It is geared too tall to be really fun. The track is where it performs.

Well, I have driven the 512, 355, 348, 328 all at speed. Also got to drive a '93 NSX, '97 911 Carrera, '99 C5 POS. All of these cars were fun to drive, looked nice, and were an experience, even though they weren't being driven to the max as they were other people's cars on highways.

The big difference between the Fs and the non Fs for me, was that in regular driving, they were clearly more enjoyable and had more character. On a track, things will change up a lot, as a 512 isn't the track car like an NSX or a 911....so you're right I shouldn't be so quick to jump down the throat of these cars. The torque of the POS was impressive too. I can't comment on that situation.

I liked the NSX I drove, just like I enjoyed the C5. I think everyone should have one of each to drive during the week. Just wasn't the quintessential weekend toy, IMHO.

I apologize gentlemen.

No offense to you NSX owners, but....boring...slowwwwwww. I always liked the look of the Nsx but once i drove one i hated it, no excitement, no character.  Talking about dollar for dollar, the early Esprits blow them all away, fast and fun to drive.

After driving a 89 esprit turbo SE vs my 93 NSX, I would completely disagree with that. However, the NSX isn't much fun on the street. It is geared too tall to be really fun. The track is where it performs.

Here we go again ...... Yawn :roll: :roll: :roll:

A better comparison to the Nsx would be a 93 Esprit, not an 89, although in straightline speed, id bet an 89 is quicker than the Nsx.

As for taking it to the track, i dont know where you Nsx guys think your cars are stellar track cars. They are mediocre at best, as indicated by their roughly 8.40 sec nurburgring time. Unless you are one of those clinging to the supposed 7.56 that the Nsx-r turned, unfortunately that time was achieved by short cutting the track. The Nsx's brakes suck, the handling is ok, and power is severaly limited in stock form. Pretty much any car, Viper, Porsche, POS, Fcrap,Lotus will give it an asswhooping.

Way too much experience here with old NSXs, which are dramatically slower and less capable than 3.2L cars. Understandable because by the time Honda made revisions, many had written the NSX off and didn't take a second look.

The 97+ NSX has a totally different character and feel to it versus the earlier cars. It has revised gear ratios via a 6-speed tranny, much larger brakes, and more power.

Wayne was the last L-Power member to drive mine, and was surprised at how quick the car felt versus his last experience with an older pre-97 NSX, the changes are that dramatic. Here's an example:

0-150MPH

34.1 - NSX 3.2L (97+)

34.1 - 996 C2

34.2 - E46 M3

34.5 - C5 Corvette

45.1 - NSX 3.0L (91-96)

As you can see from the 3.0L car's time, there is a massive drop off when talking about the pre-97 NSX, which is all anyone is usually familiar with. Trust me when I tell you that after driving one, you wouldn't choose any of its contemporary competiors (996, C5, M3) over it. Not by a long shot. It scores well agains that class.

Against the F355 is a tougher choice, it's not so easy. I went back and forth with it myself at that time, driving both signficant periods of time, really weighing it. To me the F355 had a lot of bark, lots of revs, it sounded impressive, but was no faster than the NSX. It also was slightly, very slightly, more exciting to drive in my opinion, but not worlds ahead of the 99 NSX I was looking at simutaneously as many in the sportscar world would have had me believe prior. Very very close.

In the end the NSX won for a few reasons, I wanted to be able to daily drive it without any fear of reliability, its price was some $30k lower than the equivalent-mileage F355, and the fit/finish/ergonomics of the car were vastly superior to the Ferrari, so I felt it would hold up better as it aged. But I can see the case for going the other direction, it was a 6 out of 10 in favor of the NSX for me, with the F355 getting the 4. Today I might have chosen differently, you never know.

As far as being comparable to any Esprit, let me be nice and say that if I put the 93 Esprit 0-150MPH time in this post, I would need to scroll down four pages to list it. :mrgreen: Not even in the ballpark. Even the first-gen Esprit V8 is a 30-second car to 150MPH (29.9), let alone that peaky four-banger in the SE prior. So I'll simply dismiss that car from the running, it's not a realistic competitor. I'd score an F355 or NSX 3.2L car at a 9/10 versus a 1/10 for the Lotus, the 1 being achieved simply for the marque's heritage. Again, 3.2L car here, not talking about the dog ass slow 3.0L cars with that horrible second gear ratio.

I'm no NSX cheerleader, I was suspended from the main NSX board twice in years past simply because I see the real world when most NSX owners are economically limited in their choice of car and rationalize the NSX into a Ferrari Enzo in their minds because of it. They are very similar to jackass 308 owners to be honest. But in the sportscar heirarchy, the 3.2L NSX version ranks much much higher than people give it credit for, it would be chosen in a blind test over the 996, Esprit SE, C5, M3, and many other cars in that class by many of you if the tags were removed and you had no idea what it was beyond driving it. :)

Hmmm, you know Mako, given all the praise you've given it and recently another cool car friend of mine, I just might throw the NSX on the list. :)

So how much for a good 3.2?

The early model NSX I drove was a hoot. It had Comptech headers, and Taitec exahust, along with a few weight reductions and upgraded braking. I enjoyed it, I still remember the drive and the driver who gave me a "touge" ride along, it was bad ass!!

Hmmm, you know Mako, given all the praise you've given it and recently another cool car friend of mine, I just might throw the NSX on the list. :)

So how much for a good 3.2?

There is a gorgeous 98 on ebay with 11K on it! They want 48K. Higher mileage 97's go lower 40's. 02's go for around 65K with low miles.

I am probably going to list mind for $45K. It has about 450HP and every option known to man.

• 4 weeks later...