Engine Out and Refresh!

Chipster

So i've had a little oil leak since 2010. I don't think I did a proper break in after my last engine out and I think that led to a little leak at the rear main seal. Couple that with accidentally overheating once or twice over the last few years, I think my head gasket is in need of replacing. Lastly, since it was getting cold and there are some other things I'd like to do, i'm pulling the engine!

I started yesterday and got everything disconnecting and the intake manifold off. I took my time using some marking tape and zip ties to mark all the non obvious connections. The only things I have left to do are: disconnect the clutch slave, disconnect the reverse light wire, drop the shifter housing, detach the half shafts, and disconnect the engine mounts. Then I'm going to try to find someone who will let me borrow an engine hoist to get it out.

Once I have it out, the list of things I plan to do off the top of my head (not in order):

Replace all seals

Have the head checked and planed

CLEANING everything (engine, engine bay, etc)

Run a new exciter wire circuit (mine has never worked since i've had the car)

Coat the headers (or wrap, but i want to do something)

Have the starter checked/rebuilt

Check the clutch

Paint the engine bay black

Replace the radiator drain plugs (plastic and already removed them) with brass draincocks.

Flush the radiators

Run new power wires from the alternator (already did the battery to firewall)

Paint or powdercoat the intake manifold to black with red lettering or just black

New spark plugs!

Maybe have the fuel rail and injectors tested (?)

Any other ideas??

Pics

Engine shot

post-3902-1383492685_thumb.jpg

Another engine shot (oh yeah, I still need to remove that crossbar too!)

post-3902-1383492700_thumb.jpg

Close up where you can see the marking tape and zip ties and there are notes to myself on the marking tape)

post-3902-1383492715_thumb.jpg

Battery off and on the trickle charger

post-3902-1383492742_thumb.jpg

Shifter with the ball removed

post-3902-1383492756_thumb.jpg

Intake manifold off

post-3902-1383492779_thumb.jpg

My roommate had just organized this for me after using some of my tools and it is back to my organized chaos :)

post-3902-1383492792_thumb.jpg

Exhaust and rear body parts in the spare room

post-3902-1383492807_thumb.jpg

Apollo the giraffe being no help

post-3902-1383492823_thumb.jpg

I plan to update this as I go along!

Also, after getting in there I realized that my air flow connection to the alternator housing had come off. I have had a battery idiot light on for a while even though the car seemed to be running ok. Does anyone know if the battery light would come on just because of that? I will find out when I put it back together but I figured i'd ask! Thanks!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused... You put all the parts on a nice cloth, but you put the decklid on its side on the cement? :crybaby2:

Priorities YO!

Haahaa Allan! Impressed you are doing this on your own Chipster!

Oh Ok.. you are forgiven then :icon_mrgreen:

Haha, yeah I would never do that. I do need to flip them down and put them on the cloth though. I wasn't sure how much stuff I was going to bring inside. That room is neon green cause it used to be my little nephew's room. The color may have thrown you off for being on the inside of a house haha.

Haahaa Allan! Impressed you are doing this on your own Chipster!

I actually took it apart close to this far myself back in 2010 before sending to Chad. I stopped when I got to the fuel rail because at that time I wasn't sure how to do that with alleviating the pressure and all that. But since then i've done the fuel pumps and filters. So i've pretty much learned most of the car. I do NOT know a great deal about engine timing and all that so I may have to take it to someone at that point or get some advice. I've pulled the shifter housing before to replace the shift shaft when I snapped the old one lol. It has all been a learning experience and (knock on wood), no issues so far getting anything removed. Clearance in my garage is tight so I may need to roll the car out to the driveway to have clearance for pulling the engine but i don't think it will be a big deal. Thanks!

:iamwithstupid:

Thanks! Looking forward to saving the money on labor lol.

I applaud your doing it on your own. Is that a toilet paper dispenser in the engine bay. Now that's good thinking!!!!

Draining the coolant out of these is pretty much impossible to do without being messy haha. I will probably use that entire paper towel roll wiping up the floor!

Thanks everyone. I actually think the R&R of the engine is the easy part. I've never really taken apart an engine more than it is now but there are plenty of good resources for doing it. I just will take my time like Kerplop.

:iamwithstupid:

Good luck!

Thanks!

Might be a while between updates but i'm going to try to update this with all the things I end up doing.

That is really cool how a pain in the ass turned into some cool learning for you. I'd love to be able to work on my own classic Lambo.

Best of luck with the work Chipster!

Always keep the camera close by, comes in real handy for documenting where bits go if you forget.

Removing the fuel rail and hoses is fairly straight forward, Just watch on re-install as it's easy to nip the injector seal/o-rings. I bought spares on eBay.

I also sourced the OEM type ear clips on the net too, they have an inner curved band to protect the fuel hoses.

Look forward to seeing your updates as you go along.

Was thinking of removing my intake manifold too to clean it up inside.

Thanks guys!

Do people paint the intake manifold or powder coat it? I know some diablo owners on here have modified theirs. Will probably be one of the last things I do though.

Some of my vacuum hoses had no clips at all! They were on but it's funny to see how things are when you're taking the car apart. I do NOT like those ear clips for the fuel hoses. I already replaced one with a standard fuel line hose clamp and will likely do the same for the rest. Thanks for the tip on the injector O rings!

I think the single ear clips are fantastic! especially with the inner curved protector ring.

This is the type I use, made by oetiker

OC17_17.jpg