Achieving your goals

Destructo

We have a lot of successful members on this board both in the financial and personal realms.

So this came to me last night and I'm genuinely curious.

How do you set your goals?

- When you set them, what's your process?

- Do you lay out a plan?

- Do you write it down?

- Do you have a mentor you keep in touch with?

- Do you ever give up on a dream, or change course?

- How do you stay on track?

I'm looking to start setting some more goals for myself this upcoming year and wanted to tap into the knowledge here, and figured others might find it interesting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the perfect time of the year for setting goals. Over the holidays when I have a lot of down time I do a lot of reflecting over the year. I think about what I could have done better, where I can improve, and what do I want to accomplish for the next year.

I try to make my goals as simple as possible and stick to the basics.

Every year my goal is to get back into the gym on a schedule but I haven't done that one yet.... that is one I struggle with the most.

I also set my goals for my personal life and my work life.

I feel like I have been stagnant this year so I need to sit down and really think of some different things to do.

Was chatting with a guy that is a professional explorer, that has climbed all the 7 peaks, been to both poles, and done everything imaginable. One thing that caught my attention was when he said that setting goals and achieving goals is the easy part, the hard part is deciding what everything else you are letting go and not doing, i.e. everything else.

This is the perfect time of the year for setting goals. Over the holidays when I have a lot of down time I do a lot of reflecting over the year. I think about what I could have done better, where I can improve, and what do I want to accomplish for the next year.

Every year my goal is to get back into the gym on a schedule but I haven't done that one yet.... that is one I struggle with the most.

I feel like I have been stagnant this year so I need to sit down and really think of some different things to do.

Is there a point where you'll tell yourself, "That's not realistic," or "that's not achievable"?

Is there a point where you'll tell yourself, "That's not realistic," or "that's not achievable"?

Absolutely. I try to set real goals. But what I have found is when I set real goals I always smash them. Don't set any unrealistic goals or else you will get deflated.

If you care enough to think about setting goals you have already won in my opinion. That means you care to become a better person in your work life and personal life. As long as you stay like that anything is achievable.

Trust me, a few years ago I never would have imagined I would be where I am at today. But I stuck with it and did what was right every day.

The post above is so true. I have basically doubled if not tripled my business each of the last few years but at what cost?!?!? I have put on 30lbs, always in a rush and etc. I think my goals this year will be more about finding a balance and a happy medium for sure. Not let life pass me by.

This all is dependant upon the goals

For example, buy a yacht, sometimes that goal is not viable. If the goal is get more bacon then you have to get to that goal, you always need more bacon.

Set the gym goal like the rest of them, don't focus on the work part, focus on the outcome and make an easy 1 month goal (a measurable one, like 1 inch off waist, the weighing scales are a poor measure), a harder 3 month one etc.

he said that setting goals and achieving goals is the easy part, the hard part is deciding what everything else you are letting go and not doing, i.e. everything else.

Wow!!!

That statement is true on so many levels.

If I may reword it slightly:

It is relatively easy to achieve the loftiest of long term goals,

The difficulty lies in deciding what must be sacrificed in the short term .....

great thread!

im no bill gates lol

but what works for me is the "secret" type of mindset. I use a vision board and whats crazy is half of the pics I attached 10 years ago actually came true! I also have 2 very successful mentors that I try to visit with twice a month to keep me on track. and everyday I listen to tony robbins audio books to and from work. these 3 things keep me going in the upward direction 90% of the time!

with that said I would love to hear what works for other members who make me look like a bum lol

"Life is a journey, not a destination".

I now approach my goals with that mindset. I'd always had the goals, but until I was able to concentrate on a plan of how to achieve them, they were really more like dreams.

For every goal, I probably have a string of a dozen "how's"; how will this happen, how will that allow the next step to happen, etc. I also feel this helps in managing your own expectations. I can have a goal of owning a 300' mega yacht, but until I can lay out a realistic plan of how I'll get there, there's no point in focussing on that goal. Instead, I can string goals (and plans) together to take the steps I need to get that boat!

And as Nicke referenced, there has to be consideration for the sacrifices required to attain our goals. Some will put different priorities ahead of others, but I think having a plan helps to address what your priorities and sacrifices will be, and then you can adjust accordingly.

Excellent idea for a thread Dave! I will share my thoughts later, have to wrap up work for the week so I can eat kebaba andf get wasted.

I can't wait to see what some of the more heavyhitting members here post, many of you work as my inspiration (not Allan and NISSAN-N-LED-IT) :turboalex:

Personal goals: My goals almost always come from my personal happiness. If I am not happy in my current situation I try and figure out what is making me unhappy, frustrated, etc. and discuss with my wife. Even if it is to do with her.. She is understanding and we always find a way to make things better together. We have started to travel more and spend more quality time together.. Spending quality time with the Kids and making the days count with them is all that really is important. My goal for next year is to spend more quality time with my family and focus on being in the moment with my kids. I have a problem with always thinking about what is next instead of being in the moment.

Before I had Kelly as my wife I knew I wanted an amazing woman like her. So when I found her I played as hard to get as anyone ever has while still showing interest..She got to know how hard of a worker I am, and how good of a person I am.. She finally asked me out. :icon_mrgreen: Major life goal achieved.

Work: I always wanted to do well and enjoy my work. When I was working somewhere I didn't want to be I never quit. I focused at being better at what I was doing and somehow it always led to another job opportunity. It finally led to a career opportunity that I jumped on. I have worked hard and another major goal was achieved.

Hard work and dedication has always seemed to pay off. Setting my goals has always just been a gut feeling of knowing I want something else. This next year I would like to get on the race track more and enjoy that with some amazing friends.

Personal goals: My goals almost always come from my personal happiness. If I am not happy in my current situation I try and figure out what is making me unhappy, frustrated, etc. and discuss with my wife. Even if it is to do with her.. She is understanding and we always find a way to make things better together. We have started to travel more and spend more quality time together.. Spending quality time with the Kids and making the days count with them is all that really is important. My goal for next year is to spend more quality time with my family and focus on being in the moment with my kids. I have a problem with always thinking about what is next instead of being in the moment.

Before I had Kelly as my wife I knew I wanted an amazing woman like her. So when I found her I played as hard to get as anyone ever has while still showing interest..She got to know how hard of a worker I am, and how good of a person I am.. She finally asked me out. :icon_mrgreen: Major life goal achieved.

Work: I always wanted to do well and enjoy my work. When I was working somewhere I didn't want to be I never quit. I focused at being better at what I was doing and somehow it always led to another job opportunity. It finally led to a career opportunity that I jumped on. I have worked hard and another major goal was achieved.

Hard work and dedication has always seemed to pay off. Setting my goals has always just been a gut feeling of knowing I want something else. This next year I would like to get on the race track more and enjoy that with some amazing friends.

:icon_thumleft:

Set your eye on the prize and don't take it off of the prize.

When people tell you you can't it's fun to show then you can. This motivated me strongly many times.

Make goals that are achievable. Not easy but achiebable.

I want to be a billionaire. Not a great goal

I want to be a successful entrepreneur. Great goal.

Set your eye on the prize and don't take it off of the prize.

When people tell you you can't it's fun to show then you can. This motivated me strongly many times.

Make goals that are achievable. Not easy but achiebable.

I want to be a billionaire. Not a great goal

I want to be a successful entrepreneur. Great goal.

Excellent.

When I was a car audio install tech at ultimate electronics I always told the guys I would own a Lambo one day.. They never believed me and 1 guy would give me shit all the time asking how the Lambo was coming.. It was a great feeling knowing he ate his words.

Expect your goal/vision/dreams to change significantly as you enter different stages of life. What I wanted in my twenties - I achieved (personally and professionally). Then in my thirties some of the things I wanted ten years earlier were no longer relevant. My priorities changed. Same with each passing decade (not that everything happens in ten year intervals - but what was important to me in 20s/30s was not so important as I got older).

Of course this is to be expected - but early in life it's not necessarily intuitive. Its something most people have to learn - and it's different for everyone.

I like megachad's approach that goals always stem from the perspective of personal happiness. It's a good place to start.

To answer the "how to" part - I've never written them down - but I have a definite plan that evolves. It is purposeful and thought out and revised when it makes sense. I know people who write them down. I know others where the plan stays in their head. It's whatever works best for YOU.

obsess over it, and DO NOT TELL ANY ONE your goals. most people in your inner circle are the ones that want you to fail the most.

One of the harshest truths of life.

obsess over it, and DO NOT TELL ANY ONE your goals. most people in your inner circle are the ones that want you to fail the most.

It's amazing how as you become successful, even family members act like you don't deserve it.. My brother in law says I could fall into a river full of shit and come out smelling like a rose. I have an aunt that thinks I don't do anything and shit just falls into my lap. While her son was in the basement at 30yo and somehow he deserves something he isn't willing to even think about trying for.

I know I put a pic of this car in another thread......but this was a major goal for me. To prove to everyone that told me COUNTLESS times...."you will never get that car to run", "it will never be finished or safe to drive", "quit wasting your time, and sell it for parts" all kinds of shit like that.....heard it for YEARS! Once it was finished, not one of them even said it looked good...

Fcuk them, we don't need people like that around us anyway.....

IMG_9675.jpg

Lambo Goal- Years ago I decided I would own one someday. I started a business about 5 years ago had one location. Idea was make enough extra money to buy that beautiful V-12 masterpiece that I had dreamed about for years.....Then, goal changed. Why not expand my business and let's see what we can do. Now, after a few years of "7 days a week"....I have 5 stores (now all paid for) could've had that Lambo a couple times over at this point.....

Goals are very important to me now.....I can't hold a candle to most you guys on here, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than I use to be!

I read a quote some time ago that said "You either do or do not, there is no try" that has stuck with me and that's how I approach my goals.

I'm guessing that some of the more successful people here have dealt with their share of failure, how do you not let the failures bother you?

The worst part of the success climb, is the higher you get it seems like you have less real friends and more bs friends. Everyone wants a buck it seems.

I'd like to hear more about this from our "elite" members.

The worst part of the success climb, is the higher you get it seems like you have less real friends and more bs friends. Everyone wants a buck it seems.

I'd like to hear more about this from our "elite" members.

Odds are anyone who wants to befriend you when you are successful is full of shit and has an ulterior motive. I know I am generalizing but mankind sucks and people see greater joy out of seeing misery as opposed to success.