1970 Plymouth Cuda --- V-10 Project/Life Changing Event....

Pretzel_Guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a joke. This whole thread makes me feel :aiwebs_017:

You have to tell us more about the skill set that you started with when you embarked on this project as I find it hard to believe that you had no metal crafting skills before this project. If that is indeed the case then even more WOW!

Lol.....Let me clear a couple things up. I have no previous training on anything like this, I have been in sales the last 13 years. I have been obsessed with Lamborghinis since seeing a Diablo (One of the best designs ever IMO) at the age of 14. Not being able to afford one at the time, I figured I would give this car building thing a try. This was as far out of my comfort zone as I could possibly go. The looks on peoples faces when I told them about what I was doing or they heard from someone, thinking back now...PRICELESS.

I did ZERO on the internal engine work that was done, and only about 10% on the actual painting of the car (I wanted to learn, but didn't have the time). As far as metal crafting experience....I asked several people for advice, but where I live there are maybe 3-4 welding shops period. Cool thing I learned about working with metal is, if you fcuk it up, cut it out and do it again.....It's not exactly a restomod haven around here, a lot of guys were pissed I was "cutting up & ruining" a classic car. It was a 318 automatic Barracuda, not a 1971 426 4-speed....

I wanted the car to have a smooth false bottom like a street rod, and wanted the exhaust to pass through the frame like I had seen on some expensive prefab frames you could buy.

So.....that also had to be made, didn't nail it on the first try(shocking) and was about as much fun as sticking a fork in your eye.

DSC02146.JPG

DSC02147.JPG

For the record, all those welds got cleaned up....grinded down......welded, grinded down.....welded, grinded down....just times it by several months of working on it part time......you get the idea.

Also built a cage connecting out front to rear on the frame......

Nice shot of the homemade rotisserie......lol.

I fcuking love it man! And I have 100000x more respect for you having five trys at it to get something one the way you wanted with your own two hands. And Hell man your work is nothing to be ashamed of. Looks like it came out great.

I'd be most nervous about the paint myself. Like you said metal is easy to practice and fix. A good painter just has patience, a sharp eye to read the paint, and hundreds of reps. It's a practiced skill that takes lots of maintenance to stay really proficient at. And worse yet it's the one thing everyone sees.

Well done man, I love every bit of it! :turboalex:

I fcuking love it man! And I have 100000x more respect for you having five trys at it to get something one the way you wanted with your own two hands. And Hell man your work is nothing to be ashamed of. Looks like it came out great.

I'd be most nervous about the paint myself. Like you said metal is easy to practice and fix. A good painter just has patience, a sharp eye to read the paint, and hundreds of reps. It's a practiced skill that takes lots of maintenance to stay really proficient at. And worse yet it's the one thing everyone sees.

Well done man, I love every bit of it! :turboalex:

Thank you all for the compliments.

Outstanding job ! Major props for DIY and having dove into such a project

Keep the pics coming! Kick Ass thread

Me as well. This is my current finished project.

post_129788_1387403939.jpg

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread, however I will raise you a Road Runner.

Sassy Grass meet Sublime. :icon_mrgreen: Vic

IMG_2995.JPG

Outstanding job ! Major props for DIY and having dove into such a project

Keep the pics coming! Kick Ass thread

Thank you sir! Now if I can just get a ride from someone in a TTG........Life will be even better :eusa_dance:

Thank you sir! Now if I can just get a ride from someone in a TTG........Life will be even better :eusa_dance:

haha! Absolutely! :icon_thumleft:

Ever get to Texas you can count on it!

Haha Vic. Good One. I have a 71 to stay in the game. Let me locate a picture. BTW, nice cars!

Very nice.

Also very nice build thread to the OP. Respect :icon_super:

It reminds me of this. Vic

Very nice.

Also very nice build thread to the OP. Respect :icon_super:

It reminds me of this. Vic

Yes! That car is really cool!

Thank you for the kind words, but it's on another level from mine........ :icon_super:

Done away with the rain drip rails....I didn't think they fit the "look" I was going for. Learned how to metal finish on the frame, firewall and inner fenders that all had to be made....One thing about it, once I started cutting.....you couldn't just go out and buy the stuff to put back (that had the look I wanted anyway)

DSC02410.JPG

DSC02411.JPG

I believe this 4th attempt at the firewall/cowl area turned out pretty good....lol.

DSC02419.JPG

And the bodywork began......might as well do it right also....didn't want to miss an inch....

DSC02505.JPG

DSC02512.JPG

Firewall.....much better than the previous attempt(s)

DSC02613.JPG

Rotisserie really turned out to be valuable!

DSC02504.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Ready to see some more pics!

Will do, soon as I am back in town!!! Hope everyone has a SAFE and Happy New Year!

I love the fact that you did it all yourself. That is so cool!

Im in the same boat as you. Im thinking about tackling a restore of my own. I come from an IT/Sales background. Im thinking about doing a 60s Beetle.

More bodywork. Just to clarify, I just helped a little with the bodywork and painting. I did not do it myself. I would have loved to, but this 4 year/2 dozen attempts build would have turned into a lifetime project I believe....

DSC02508.JPG

DSC02463.JPG

Everything was smoothed down (door handles, marker lights, drip rails, and so on), all body seems filled. Even added .25" metal here and there to keep all the gaps even around the car.

DSC02412.JPG

Even on the underside. Side note. I had a thin layer of Line-X sprayed on all flat panels under the car and wheel wells.

DSC02512.JPG

Also smoothed in the tail light buckets. This is a rough first go at it pic.

DSC02617.JPG