Factory Matte Paint Care

ToofDoc

To Wrap or Not To Wrap  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Wrap the car in XPEL Stealth Film even if it will mask the true matte paint beauty, at least the car is protected
    • Do not wrap it, let the true matte paint display its magic, rock chips are no big deal
    • I'm not sure either....that's a tough call

So my car coming up will have factory *grey* matte paint, I have some concerns on care and maintenance.

For those of you that have matte paint finishes, how do you 1) paint protect the car and 2) wash it if it's naked?

Did any of you wrapped your matte paint car for protection? If you did wrap your matte paint, did you use XPEL Stealth Film? Also, if your matte paint car is wrapped, what does it look like before and after as far as the paint appearance goes?

I just don't know if I'm going to wrap it because once I do, that factory paint magic appearance will be masked. Then if I wrap it, then I lose the paint magic, but at least the paint is protected underneath!

I've met owners with matte paint finishes that were not protected, the paint job had thousands of paint chips...looked like crap....then some other owners tells me not to wrap it so we can see the true beautiful appearance of the paint!

To wrap or not to wrap?

For those of you left your matte paint car naked, what is your cleaning routine? Regular car wash soap and microfiber cloth? Swissvax Opaque?

I know matte paint finishes such as white and yellow may be a little easier to mask fingerprints or to maintenance and black is probably the toughest to maintenance. My grey is kind of in the middle.

I have all these questions and love to hear your insights!

Excellent topic as I just ordered a designo magno platinum G63 and curious about the matte upkeep as well. I vote leave it raw! If it was a dd wrap it but I'm sure the special occasion driving will not be too bad on the paint.

Excellent topic as I just ordered a designo magno platinum G63 and curious about the matte upkeep as well. I vote leave it raw! If it was a dd wrap it but I'm sure the special occasion driving will not be too bad on the paint.

Did the dealer offer any insight on cleaning matte paint and its maintenance?

Not really. Though over on mbworld they just recommend special soap and just no wax or polishes. Anxious for Scotty to chime in as he has the matte yellow and said it was easiest car to care for and looked amazing in person.

Not really. Though over on mbworld they just recommend special soap and just no wax or polishes. Anxious for Scotty to chime in as he has the matte yellow and said it was easiest car to care for and looked amazing in person.

I did reference Scott...he recommended leaving it naked as well and drive slower behind the car ahead of you.

Very interested in this discussion, I've been having the same debate myself. If the goal is a Matte finish, what is the best option?

1. Factory matte paint left naked

2. Factory matte w/ clear wrap

3. Factory matte w/ matte wrap

4. Normal/Metallic finish w/ matte wrap

Beyond the upkeep of a matte paint, how is the upkeep of a wrap?

Very interested in this discussion, I've been having the same debate myself. If the goal is a Matte finish, what is the best option?

1. Factory matte paint left naked

2. Factory matte w/ clear wrap

3. Factory matte w/ matte wrap

4. Normal/Metallic finish w/ matte wrap

Beyond the upkeep of a matte paint, how is the upkeep of a wrap?

I was going to go with option #4 to save $, but that's not true matte paint. You'd lose that prestige of wanting matte paint.

I had a glossy black Gallardo and I wrapped it with XPEL Stealth film which converted the car into a faux matte finish. Maintanence on that was cake! No wax, no special car wash soap, just a wet microfiber cloth to wipe down and then wipe dry. Very simple to care.

I've seen a matte black Murcie SV wrapped in XPEL Stealth film in pictures, looked decent in pictures but don't know if the matte paint magic was concealed or not?

What I love about Grigio Titans paint is that it actually changes the darkness shade of grey under different and various lighting settings. Looks different under the sun as during sun down. I'm afraid if I wrap it, that magic will not be as effective!?

I may end up going with your option #1.

My first scratch or paint chip, I know I'll regret not wrapping it! Matte paint touch up or repaint is probably a bitch as matching to the original factory matte paint is probably a pain in the ass!

I would say leave it without a wrap and coat on some of that matte wax product for protection and let the magic of the paint shine. But hard to really say without ever owning a car. But from what i read there are some really solid matte wraps that really show the color. Maybe that was just marketing.

I visited his booth at SEMA, incredible stuff. Highly recommended.

If the car has a ton of chips, I would question the driver and the terrains they are driving on. Mine is over a year old and I have one chip, almost unnoticeable. I would not wrap and would recommend a good artist with a airbrush if you get a chip.

If the car has a ton of chips, I would question the driver and the terrains they are driving on?

It's actually Yu's matte black SL! His front end is messed up! Then again we question many things that young man does! :icon_mrgreen:

Scott, what do you use to clean your car? Regular car wash soap and microfiber cloth? Does the paint texture catch microfiber cloth leave little fibers?

It's actually Yu's matte black SL! His front end is messed up! Then again we question many things that young man does! :icon_mrgreen:

Scott, what do you use to clean your car? Regular car wash soap and microfiber cloth? Does the paint texture catch microfiber cloth leave little fibers?

If you have little fibers being left behind, it's not the paint it's the towels.

Use this to wash them. Put in the dryer "air dry" no heat. Heat breaks down the fibers

http://www.autogeek.net/pin620.html

Chemical Guys make some specialized matte soap and detailing/protectant spray. Can't speak to the quality. My brother loves their stuff. He bought me a bucket of goodies from them for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet due to the weather.

One thing I do know, make sure to use new cloths for cleaning. Swirl marks and scratches can't be buffed out of a matte finish!

I can't speak for the Lamborghini matte paint, but I have the matte MBZ designo magno paint, and it does require a bit more of upkeep. Mine is a daily driver and it gets lots of fwy driving. Paint is strong and even though I have some rock chips here and there, I really have no complaints. The one thing I did notice is that over time where I grab the door on the outside to shut it, the paint has gone a bit glossy (less matte). Also, when you have pollen or bird droppings, you really need to wet it, then carefully wipe it off as soon as possible. As everyone here has said, constant rubbing will turn the paint glossy and then you're screwed. One last tidbit; when the car is dusty and/or a little dirty, it seems that it is not as noticeable during the day, and much much noticeable at night. Maybe it's me, but it is strange...

If I had to do it all over.....I would absolutely do it again. It just takes some getting used to. I must say though, it is entertaining when I am waiting for the car at the valet and I hear some smartass say to his wife/girlfriend "Oh babe, that's just a sticker to make his car look dull like that...it's not real paint". uh-----ok.

Long story short.......I vote matte FTW.

I have a matte black Aventador fully wrapped with matte film. Flat bedded it straight to the shop from the dealer when I first got the car. I think it looks better. Color is more consistent throughout. I don't remember the brand of film.

I suggest you take it to the shop and they can put a piece of film on and you can see the difference.

Maintenance is easy. Just wipe it down.

Rock chips bother me. So I think it is well worth it.

I have a matte black Aventador fully wrapped with matte film. Flat bedded it straight to the shop from the dealer when I first got the car. I think it looks better. Color is more consistent throughout. I don't remember the brand of film.

I suggest you take it to the shop and they can put a piece of film on and you can see the difference.

Maintenance is easy. Just wipe it down.

Rock chips bother me. So I think it is well worth it.

It's probably XPEL Stealth film. Can you confirm?

Wish I could offer help with this since I'm all about matte/satin colors but my car is only wrapped satin black so taking care of vinyl is different than paint.

Wouldn't putting on a film over matte paint ruin the paint if you ever tried to remove the film? Somehow you would have to remove the adhesive residue without buffing the paint.

Is it too late to change your color to something that isnt matte? I definitely would not do a wrap, that defeats the purpose of choosing a matte color, and does not look anywhere close to as good as the factory paint.

Wouldn't putting on a film over matte paint ruin the paint if you ever tried to remove the film? Somehow you would have to remove the adhesive residue without buffing the paint.

I know...I was afraid of that and owners have told me that before. Once wrapped, there will always be damages underneath. When I peeled the matte wrap (XPEL Stealth film) off of my Gallardo, I saw a ton of little razor blade scratches and sticky residues for the adhesives. Good thing most all buffed out, but I can't do that to my matte paint?! No buffing allowed!

Is it too late to change your color to something that isnt matte? I definitely would not do a wrap, that defeats the purpose of choosing a matte color, and does not look anywhere close to as good as the factory paint.

I believe it's too late to change my order as it is already in production. Body paint is the first thing they do once the production sequence is progressed to the body work. Also, I wouldn't want to change to any other color. I love the Grigio Titans. I'm with you, I don't believe I'll wrap it as it will conceal the factory paint magic.

I can't speak for the Lamborghini matte paint, but I have the matte MBZ designo magno paint, and it does require a bit more of upkeep. Mine is a daily driver and it gets lots of fwy driving. Paint is strong and even though I have some rock chips here and there, I really have no complaints. The one thing I did notice is that over time where I grab the door on the outside to shut it, the paint has gone a bit glossy (less matte). Also, when you have pollen or bird droppings, you really need to wet it, then carefully wipe it off as soon as possible. As everyone here has said, constant rubbing will turn the paint glossy and then you're screwed. One last tidbit; when the car is dusty and/or a little dirty, it seems that it is not as noticeable during the day, and much much noticeable at night. Maybe it's me, but it is strange...

If I had to do it all over.....I would absolutely do it again. It just takes some getting used to. I must say though, it is entertaining when I am waiting for the car at the valet and I hear some smartass say to his wife/girlfriend "Oh babe, that's just a sticker to make his car look dull like that...it's not real paint". uh-----ok.

Long story short.......I vote matte FTW.

Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to the "true" matte paint vs my faux matte look from XPEL Stealth Film I had on my Gallardo!

If you have little fibers being left behind, it's not the paint it's the towels.

Use this to wash them. Put in the dryer "air dry" no heat. Heat breaks down the fibers

http://www.autogeek.net/pin620.html

I'll take a look at it....I want the best thing out there to keep my car in good shape. My Walmart microfiber cloth is not cutting it! :icon_mrgreen:

I believe it's too late to change my order as it is already in production. Body paint is the first thing they do once the production sequence is progressed to the body work. Also, I wouldn't want to change to any other color. I love the Grigio Titans. I'm with you, I don't believe I'll wrap it as it will conceal the factory paint magic.

I'm leaning towards the same decision. At the end of the day I think we can all go a bit overboard on paint condition, especially for any car that isn't a garage queen (which no car should be). I used to be obsessive over any small scratch or stone chip but now often conclude it really isn't worth the stress over something so insignificant.

Also lots of good info ITT, thanks gents.

It's probably XPEL Stealth film. Can you confirm?

I saw the SV up close recently. The film didn't take away from the factory matte paint at all IMO. Additionally, since the car was black there was fading on the roof. Hopefully that didn't go beyond the wrap so it saved the paint underneath.

I voted wrap. Matte isn't like metallic or some depth having pearl paint, it's matte, flat, no depth. Even matte pearl doesn't have depth.