HELPPPP!!

The guy that purchased my old Murci is having a problem. He started the car, pulled it out of the garage, took some pics and pulled it back in. Then went to start it this morning and no start.. I told him change battery, he did. no start. He tried both keys, tried pushing button on key fob while starting, tried setting alarm and then turning off and starting.. Nothing Nothing.. Car won't even try to start. He says the ignition switch is kind of hard for the key and it isn't springing the key back into a neutral position like normal, but no idea if that is affecting it.

Any thoughts.. maybe the stock alarm is causing a problem.. maybe the ignition switch?

Did he happen to flick the battery kill button in the engine bay?

I actually told him to do that and reset the system.. still nothing.. It seems as though the key tumbler isn't going far enough.. i told him to call a locksmith and see if they could take it apart and fix it..

Tell him to try turning the steering wheel a bit back and forth when he tries to push the key in all the way.

yeah, we tried that too.. haha.. i think it is the steering lock that is causing his problem, but the steering isn't locked..

Lock cylinder is probably the problem I told him. He s going to try unplugging and maybe he has a loose connection.

That has to be one heck of a sick feeling selling a car like that and then the new owner has a problem right away! Hope it gets sorted out right away....we all know you would never sell anything that wasn't perfect or fully disclosed! Sorry to hear about the drama!

That has to be one heck of a sick feeling selling a car like that and then the new owner has a problem right away! Hope it gets sorted out right away....we all know you would never sell anything that wasn't perfect or fully disclosed! Sorry to hear about the drama!

He has had it quite some time now. I think 4-5 months. I feel very bad for the situation. I didnt sell it directly to him we just met through facebook and have befriended eachother. I am just trying to help him as I would any friend. He purchased a stand up car. This is definitely just a non forseeable issue. Hope he gets it resolved soon 👍. I hate to see anyone not able to enjoy their Lambo.

Shit happens. Don't beat up yourself too much. Very cool that you're trying to help him, though. But anything can go wrong with these cars at any time. Ask me how I know :D

Hopefully, it's just a minor issue and the new owner can rectify it without much cost and down time.

Definitely looks like the lock cylinder isn't turning far enough to get to the start position.

Sounds like a cylinder issue too.

Hopefully not...while not expensive, a bit of an inconvenient repair.

I got stuck with a $20k plus repair bill 2 months after getting my "needs nothing" Diablo and the seller didn't help in the slightest. Very good of you to help no matter how big or small. Like you said, unforeseeable so don't feel bad at all. Feel good about being a standup guy!

Just so the record is straight...I SOLD the car via consignment to the current owner. He has has it for while and has put miles on it.

It is a 14 year old car. I did speak to him and tried to assit him, but came up with the same issues we all have indicated here. I then put him in contact with Glenn.

I told him once he got it corrected, get with me regarding the cost and total bill and I will work something out with him. Of course this is not needed for a "used" car that was delivered several months and miles ago....but I stand behind my customers as best I can with each situation taken into account one at a time.

Thanks Roy Cats

Just so the record is straight...I SOLD the car via consignment to the current owner. He has has it for while and has put miles on it.

It is a 14 year old car. I did speak to him and tried to assit him, but came up with the same issues we all have indicated here. I then put him in contact with Glenn.

I told him once he got it corrected, get with me regarding the cost and total bill and I will work something out with him. Of course this is not needed for a "used" car that was delivered several months and miles ago....but I stand behind my customers as best I can with each situation taken into account one at a time.

Thanks Roy Cats

Classy as always Roy! :icon_thumleft:

Tell him to try rolling it back (or forward a few feet) with the ignition on - if the trans can't lock into neutral it won't start (that is if this is an E-gear car).

Tell him to try rolling it back (or forward a few feet) with the ignition on - if the trans can't lock into neutral it won't start (that is if this is an E-gear car).

2002 6 speed manual.

Thanks Roy Cats

Roy is a stand up guy.. However I don't feel the owner expects financial help from anyone on the matter. He was just hoping to get the car on the road because he had a car drive on Saturday he was supposed to attend that he had planned on for quite some time.

These things do happen, and it sucks. Kind of like owning a boat at times, but if you own one you probably know that and are aware of what can come with ownership.

My Diablo needed the headers replaced and the valve cover gaskets replaced the second the car got to me. Which was very expensive. The previous owner stood up pretty tall imo and helped me out with about 1/4 of the bill. I felt that was very fair being I bought the car at a great value, but if it would have happened 1,2,3months down the road. I wouldn't have expected a dime.. Just the cost of ownership sometimes..

2002 6 speed manual.

Grrrr...Then does the Murci have a clutch switch? (i.e. you need to have the clutch depressed in order to start the car)

If so, I would check that limit switch on the clutch pedal.

Grrrr...Then does the Murci have a clutch switch? (i.e. you need to have the clutch depressed in order to start the car)

If so, I would check that limit switch on the clutch pedal.

Good idea. I dont believe so. Also he sente a video and it seems the tumbler isnt turning all the way. Pretty sure it is a bad cylinder like others have noted.

The arrangement looks pretty similar to the Diablo. That job meant pulling the steering wheel completely off with a puller and separating the shell halves. The painful part of the job was getting through the theft-prevention sheer screws to pull the ignition cylinder out. I don't have any sure-fire advice for that, but I used a Dremel to cut screwdriver slots into them. The rest should be plug'n play. The new part comes with new screws, but I just grabbed some conventional replacements at the hardware store in case I ever need to dig into it again. The new part also comes as a package deal with the door lock cylinders. We were able swap my original cylinder into the new ignition assembly so as to keep the same key, but I can't know if your old Murci is having issues that would preclude that. Here is a picture of what is hard to see at first, hiding in the dark of the steering wheel shell covers of the Diablo.

Diablo_column01.jpg

The arrangement looks pretty similar to the Diablo. That job meant pulling the steering wheel completely off with a puller and separating the shell halves. The painful part of the job was getting through the theft-prevention sheer screws to pull the ignition cylinder out. I don't have any sure-fire advice for that, but I used a Dremel to cut screwdriver slots into them. The rest should be plug'n play. The new part comes with new screws, but I just grabbed some conventional replacements at the hardware store in case I ever need to dig into it again. The new part also comes as a package deal with the door lock cylinders. We were able swap my original cylinder into the new ignition assembly so as to keep the same key, but I can't know if your old Murci is having issues that would preclude that. Here is a picture of what is hard to see at first, hiding in the dark of the steering wheel shell covers of the Diablo.

post-25074-1399347194_thumb.jpg

Wow,

That looks like a PITA..

He took the car to a repair shop to have them tackle it. Hopefully they take care of him well.