Talk me out of trading in my Gallardo

niranjan

I've had my 2004 Gallardo for over 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. Lately, however, I've been thinking about switching to something else. I've been looking at the 911 Turbo S, Nissan GT-R, Audi R8, and Ferrari F430.

I test drove a 2012 911 Turbo S today and was amazed by the car but it just doesn't make my heart skip a beat like the Gallardo did when I first got it. It is ridiculously fast and handles more like a go kart. As far as driving, it's a huge upgrade. It's a certified preowned so it would be under warranty until 2018. If it looked like the Gallardo, it would be a no brainer, but I guess it would be a McLaren or 458 then and cost close to $200K.

I've already got one kid with another on the way and love the idea of being able to take both of them and my wife in the car together. I feel like I don't get to drive the Gallardo as much because the three of us can't go together. Not to mention I'm also less likely to take it everywhere because of the attention it gets. On the way to the dealer and back today there were no less than 20 people taking pictures of the car and I was stopped by someone at the gas station to talk about the car. This definitely has it's plusses and minuses. Last week i picked my 2nd grade nephew up from school as a reward for doing well in school and it was so much fun to see all the kids' faces light up.

Am I crazy to think about trading in my car for the 911 Turbo? Anyone else do it and regret it? Any other cars I should be looking at?

you can get a McLaren for less than $200k, check one out.... faster, lighter, more exotic...

I've had my 2004 Gallardo for over 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. Lately, however, I've been thinking about switching to something else. I've been looking at the 911 Turbo S, Nissan GT-R, Audi R8, and Ferrari F430.

I test drove a 2012 911 Turbo S today and was amazed by the car but it just doesn't make my heart skip a beat like the Gallardo did when I first got it. It is ridiculously fast and handles more like a go kart. As far as driving, it's a huge upgrade. It's a certified preowned so it would be under warranty until 2018. If it looked like the Gallardo, it would be a no brainer, but I guess it would be a McLaren or 458 then and cost close to $200K.

I've already got one kid with another on the way and love the idea of being able to take both of them and my wife in the car together. I feel like I don't get to drive the Gallardo as much because the three of us can't go together. Not to mention I'm also less likely to take it everywhere because of the attention it gets. On the way to the dealer and back today there were no less than 20 people taking pictures of the car and I was stopped by someone at the gas station to talk about the car. This definitely has it's plusses and minuses. Last week i picked my 2nd grade nephew up from school as a reward for doing well in school and it was so much fun to see all the kids' faces light up.

Am I crazy to think about trading in my car for the 911 Turbo? Anyone else do it and regret it? Any other cars I should be looking at?

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was hoping to stay under $125K, but thought getting a car with the Gallardo's looks and the Turbo's performance would be closer to $200K

Trade it in, change it up and find something new. If you don't like what you find, there are plenty of Gallardo's out there. Hell, they made more than 14,000 of them. They aren't that special ;)

A 2012 911 Turbo is probably a better car than an 04 Gallardo. I would make the trade. And if you regret it, sell it and buy another Gallardo.

keep the gallardo get a used ctsv any of the 3 are a blast and you can take your family with you i have one and use it as a DD

I've already got a 335xi that I daily drive. I just feel like I don't get to drive the Lambo as much as I'd like and I've had it for a while.

If having a back seat (so you can bring the kids) means you'll use it more....then maybe switching is a good idea.

If life is getting in the way and with family obligations you simply don't have time (and it's not about whether you have a back seat) then it won't matter what's in the garage....

You make time for what you want. If you can really do family "car" events - get a car that accommodates the gang.

I know a couple that has a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti coupe because they wanted a fun car with a back seat so they can include their 2 kids. Their car is stunning - matte pearl white with tan leather. I happen to think the lines of the 612 are beautiful. Looks like you can get into one in your price range if it's around 2006. Here's one example but there are a bunch out there if you search....

Plus there is ample room in the trunk - I was surprised by how much stuff they carried to a Vintage Grand Prix tailgate....it was impressive.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/search...?itemid=2243231

If having a back seat (so you can bring the kids) means you'll use it more....then maybe switching is a good idea.

If life is getting in the way and with family obligations you simply don't have time (and it's not about whether you have a back seat) then it won't matter what's in the garage....

You make time for what you want. If you can really do family "car" events - get a car that accommodates the gang.

I know a couple that has a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti coupe because they wanted a fun car with a back seat so they can include their 2 kids. Their car is stunning - matte pearl white with tan leather. I happen to think the lines of the 612 are beautiful. Looks like you can get into one in your price range if it's around 2006. Here's one example but there are a bunch out there if you search....

Plus there is ample room in the trunk - I was surprised by how much stuff they carried to a Vintage Grand Prix tailgate....it was impressive.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/search...?itemid=2243231

Seriously thought about a 612 a one time for this very reason. Always wanted to take the kids along. My other choice was a GTR, but the ride was too rough for them. Don't know how you would manage to fit the kids in the back of a 911.

Seriously thought about a 612 a one time for this very reason. Always wanted to take the kids along. My other choice was a GTR, but the ride was too rough for them. Don't know how you would manage to fit the kids in the back of a 911.

I will have to add the 612 to my list. One of my friends had one years ago and I never even thought about it.

2yo7kie.jpg

Not having kids I'm no expert in this arena - but I assume if they are small enough to need car seats maybe a 911 could work, although having to get into the back to buckle/unbuckle would be a HUGE pain since the back isn't terribly accessible.

My friends with the 612 have kids that are around 8 & 11 years old. I'm not sure at what point they no longer need child car seats but that could be a determining factor.

DBS 4-seater is nice and in your price range, but that's if you have really small kids; otherwise, the rear seats are quite useless. Maserati Gran Turismo is another, has ample rear leg room, but can't stand the way it drives.

DBS 4-seater is nice and in your price range, but that's if you have really small kids; otherwise, the rear seats are quite useless. Maserati Gran Turismo is another, has ample rear leg room, but can't stand the way it drives.

DBS back seats are good for a hat, that's it.

Kill the kids, you'll thank me later

I was in this same boat back in February. Simply did not drive the car enough to warrant it sitting in the garage. Got a G63 as a family car and its been fun. But its no Lambo. I would vote 911 Turbo as its the best of all worlds.

I hear your pain.....I'm in the same boat debating on getting a GT2 instead of the Murci. (although dealer wants a striaght across trade which doesn't sound like a great deal) Main thing is it sucks having a car without the dealer network. It is an occassion to drive the Murci tho..but thats also the problem...you cant leave it anywhere without a crowd, its tough in stop and go traffic which our city is plagued with, and not to practical for road trips.....but...its a Lamborghini and even though there are smarter choices its really hard to feel the passion for another car after driving a Lambo...argh choices

Kill the kids, you'll thank me later
:shock: !!!

Off topic but I'd LOVE to know how you celebrate Father's Day this weekend

None of the cars you mentioned are worth the trade as an upgrade

The 2012 997 tt look dated compared to the 2014 991 tt.

The only car worth trading to would be 458. It is still over $200k in used market

For $125k, you maybe looking at Maserati, Amg, or BMW m3. Since you already have 335, I would consider upgrading that instead. I have a m3 myself as a dd and I'm happy with it

I also drive the gallardo about once a month these days. It's not a problem since I just plug in the tender. I will eventually take it out more but the two seats sometime limit its use. I'm keeping mine tho!

A used Bentley GTC may be a nice change that still has that sense of occasion for you. A fun car and since its not a daily the gas mileage doesn't matter.

performance wise, you're not crazy- 911 TT is an amazing car- on the road, I doubt theres a faster real world car. I sold mine (well the one I got for the wife) because she drove it twice in 6 months, and kept wanting to go in the Aston DB9 (my daily whip); that's the problem, the DB9 puts a smile on your face every time you look at it, get in it, and hear it.... the 911 turbo- only when you where accelerating through a corner on the motorway (modern porsches since the 993 sound boring too).

I've kept the murcielago and the DB9 because they make me smile and feel special every time I drive them...

A 2012 911 Turbo is probably a better car than an 04 Gallardo. I would make the trade. And if you regret it, sell it and buy another Gallardo.

its a better car than my murcielago in outright performance, but doesn't feel special at all, nor make any nice noises.. G's still look great!

x2

(my DB9 is the same basically as the DBS (to the point I have DBS sway bars, wheels, front&rear bumpers & side skirts etc- they are all interchangeable the only difference is carbon brakes and a different cam/tuning in the DBS apart from the cosmetics and spring/sway bar rates).

I'm 6' and the wife is 5'9; there may be room in the back for a booster seat as long as the legs of the child don't extend past the lower seat squib... the front seats are 2cm from the rears at our normal positions... and Aston actually do not approve the fitment of a baby seat BTW...

Maserati has much more rear seat room, as the does the Continental

I hear your pain.....I'm in the same boat debating on getting a GT2 instead of the Murci. (although dealer wants a striaght across trade which doesn't sound like a great deal) Main thing is it sucks having a car without the dealer network. It is an occassion to drive the Murci tho..but thats also the problem...you cant leave it anywhere without a crowd, its tough in stop and go traffic which our city is plagued with, and not to practical for road trips.....but...its a Lamborghini and even though there are smarter choices its really hard to feel the passion for another car after driving a Lambo...argh choices

i share YOUR pain... Murcielago's (e-gear) are RUBBISH in stop/start traffic....when you leave enough room (or try) to allow the e-gear to engage, the gap is so large that people cut in, and you end up-half engaging... I hear the mallard's are not like this; either way a manual would be nicer (thinking of converting mine if I get less than 10K out of my new clutch..)

Anyhow, the point is a lambo is an exotic, a porsche is not. One is practical, one is an event and appeals to the little boy inside most men... I actually think a porsche is not as good a choice as a GTR if being practical... but then again, being practical, nothing beats a Range Rover :icon_mrgreen:

I find although I have a dealer network, and independents, I don't use them; I'm incredulous at the history of my car, and what hasn't been corrected considering the number of times its been to a dealer- to many little jobs get put of owing the fact the parts cost may be small, but the labour cost enormous (plus "lambo tax") that over time, to many small jobs pile up- in the process of changing pipes- i'm ending up replacing vacuum hoses/srews/bolts, repainting the steel chassis (flaking black paint leading to surface rust, recoating suspension arms) etc. However, doing the work myself means that the cost to do the extra stuff is pitiful, and the car will end up looking as presentable underneath as inside and the outside..

Personally, I'd have a tune done on your e-gear system and maybe upgrade a couple things on the G. I don't see those other cars beating a modded G for overall experience in that price range. I drove a 2004 G before and after some e-gear work and it was a dramatic difference in driving experience. Well worth it in my opinion!