I WON'T DO BUSINESS WITH BRAIN (or Brian) AT EXOTIC CAR SEARCH

whiteout

I started working with Brian at Exotic Car Search last week in the acquisition of an LP640. We agreed on a price and that I would go pick up the car from the seller’s house across the country and drive it back. I told Brian that I would be paying with a cashier’s check from the bank because I was getting a loan on part of the car and I told him that the portion from the loan would be in a cashier’s check but I would wire the remainder. Brain said wire transfer only, something that is against my bank’s policy on a loan. To reassure Brian and the seller, I sent Brian a picture of the check and contact information of the loan officer at the bank so the funds could be confirmed. Brian agreed on that arrangement. I was completely open back and forth about how to pay, I even suggested putting the funds in the Seller’s attorney’s account to hold until I could look at the car in person, etc. This is the last time things will go smoothly.

Selling issues:

I ask Brian for interior pictures of the seats because there are none online and any pictures of exterior damage multiple times. Over the phone he was glad to get them for me, but on text it was not going to happen. I also asked for the build date on the tires and sent Brian a picture of the area on the tire to get me the information, his response “will do”. The following day, Brian gives me an ultimatum to buy and says no pictures or tire build date. Also, no information on books, tools, or clear bra; all things insanely easy to check on.

Brian specifically told me not to speak with a Lamborghini dealer that may have knowledge of the car. Of course after he said that I called the dealer and received information on the car.

Pick up issues:

Brian refused to give me any bit of information of whether I could get picked up at the airport when I flew into Alabama. The seller was a "busy man", so who knows how that would work out.

Payment issues:

Brian says if I want to pay with a cashier’s check I will have to spend the night in Alabama. Who the hell would spend the night waiting for a bank issued check to clear. But, being reasonable, I gave Brian a few options including; I would be willing to spend the night if the seller would pay for my hotel or I could send the cashier’s check to the seller days in advance of me arriving so that it would clear and wire the remainder, per Brian’s request.

Brian told me that a wire transfer takes an hour. So I find a flight that arrives in Alabama at 2:30pm so I can see the car and wire the remaining amount to the seller. Brian immediately said that wouldn’t work if the seller’s bank has a cut-off time for wires. I asked Brian to have the seller check with his bank and see what the cut-of time was, I never got a response to that question. I also offered to wire the remainder before I got on the plane to fly to Alabama, so there would be a full day for the funds to transfer.

The End

Brian said, “You are beating the hell out of me” and called off the sale AFTER I agreed to all of his terms.

In conclusion

Brian wanted me to send funds, in full, for an LP640 without sending me some minor specifics of the car, not agreeing to a mutually convenient way to pay for the car, and giving zero information of how I would physically get the car.

Throughout the past week Brian has told me how busy the seller is and how he doesn’t have time, etc. Earth to Brian, anyone who has funds to buy a Murci is a busy person and anyone putting their car up for sale has the time to get rid of the car.

Brian at Exotic Car Search is insanely difficult to work with, ploys very strong second hand used car lot sales tactics, and his methods for payment and delivery scream of fraud.

Oh, and if anyone knows Shane Boatright, let him know Brian walked away from a buyer with cash in hand, asking where to send the money.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks Nick....but it looks like it wasnt meant to be. If your willing to buy a $200k car you should get a little service to go with it. I just wen through the same boat.... Lambo dealer told me he didnt have time for me because I called two of his people, niether who answered their phone about a part while my car was on a flatbed trying to determine if I need to tow it home or leave it at the shop.......... Funny when you buy a Kia or Honda they have the time to be nice........ Sometimes ppl who sell expensive things think theyre high rollers too and get an attitude. Lots of great cars out there just begging for you to buy them :)

Thats pretty strange. I had a few deals with Brian and they were as smooth as could be. Maybe the seller wasn't getting him any info and was difficult.

Clearly Brian picks and chooses who to be nice to and who do deal with. I have had multiple dealings with whiteout and everything is as smooth and helpful as ever. So I would really like to know where Brian gets off this way with him.. If Brian is that way with whiteout, how is he with the standard buyer? Everything he asked for is normal, and if you can't be helpful then don't list the damned car for sale in the first place.

This isn't the first time someone has mentioned an issue with Brian on the forum.. can't find the old thread, but I remember reading it.

DId Brian have the car listed or were you using him as a broker to find you that car? If he had it listed then he has to rely on the seller to comply with all the requests. They seemed normal to me and he should have furnished the info quickly but if the seller was not in any hurry and didn't really care if his car sold or not I can see where getting these things could be a problem. Then I think the broker needs to cut the seller loose or tell them if they are serious about selling they need to follow through with requests in a timely manor. He is a broker and in most cases doesn't live anywhere near the seller so he has to trust the seller will help him. I can see where there could be issues but my dealings with him went smooth because I was the seller and I actually wanted to sell my cars.

Sorry you had a bad experience with Brian, I don't think Brian does this fulltime so maybe that's his defense on not putting in 100%. I once went to his site and did a search request for a Murci but never gotten a return from him. Oh well.

hmmmm, i have done Biz with him over 13 years....... it has always been super.....

alex

I've done several deals with Brian and never had an issue with both buying and selling cars.

:iamwithstupid:

Oh god dammit. Fat finger typing over here. :lol2:

Im dyslexic, so its amazing I even caught it.

Thats pretty strange. I had a few deals with Brian and they were as smooth as could be. Maybe the seller wasn't getting him any info and was difficult.

Could be, but Brian won't return my phone calls. If it was on the seller I think that Brian wouldn't have a problem trying to hash out a deal.

DId Brian have the car listed or were you using him as a broker to find you that car? If he had it listed then he has to rely on the seller to comply with all the requests. They seemed normal to me and he should have furnished the info quickly but if the seller was not in any hurry and didn't really care if his car sold or not I can see where getting these things could be a problem. Then I think the broker needs to cut the seller loose or tell them if they are serious about selling they need to follow through with requests in a timely manor. He is a broker and in most cases doesn't live anywhere near the seller so he has to trust the seller will help him. I can see where there could be issues but my dealings with him went smooth because I was the seller and I actually wanted to sell my cars.

Brian is the broker for the owner/seller.

This is sounding like something that should have been resolved behind the scenes... Is there a chance both parties are having a failure of communications?

I get where youre coming from... When one side refuses to communicate, it can definitely get frustrating.... But I suspect youve got his attention now...

Maybe we can get you two talking again and make this thread unnecessary?

hmmmm, i have done Biz with him over 13 years....... it has always been super.....

alex

in all fairness we should let Brian respond.

Two sides to every story, but I will leave it off the internet.

BTW- I already had an "autocheck" on the vehicle which we spoke about in detail. Missing a lot of little details between the lines.

looks to me like whiteout was just trying to get a couple things confirmed before he sent money..

looks to me like whiteout was just trying to get a couple things confirmed before he sent money..

Absolutely nothing unreasonable about getting a few pics/details before sending funds.

This sucks, hopefully you will find something soon Nick.