Best Car Wash Machine to Purchase?

ToofDoc

Dear LP:

I need suggestions and recommendations on which car washing machine or suds maker to buy! Tired of leathering soap onto my car the good old way. I like to make my car washes more exciting and fun in spraying bubbles and suds!!

Thanks!!

Mr. Bored

We bought one similar to this

http://www.autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html

It has brass metal parts (higher quality than all plastic). It has an adjustment for how much air goes into the mix which allows you to customize the thickness of foam.

In general we like it. It takes some experimenting to find the right amount of "shampoo" vs. water in the container.

Even at the thickest setting the foam runs down the car - so I tend to wash a section at a time. I'll spray half the car. Then wait a bit to let it marinate and then wash top to bottom and then rinse. Then I'll do the other side, and then rinse the entire car. Usually wheels are done before washing begins. Then blow dry the entire thing.

Does anyone have a good way to keep water out of the engine bay? I've tried laying a folded sheet over the engine. I've tried a small tarp. I don't like creating extra work by getting the engine wet but haven't found a good way to manage this.

Ultimately I'd like to create a custom "cork" that I could "plug" into the engine vents along either side of the glass bonnet - so water is not able to run down into engine bay. I haven't found a good material to try. Something I could press onto the vent that would adapt the shape and be water tight yet not damage the vent or paint.

you probably already do this but worth mentioning as I wash with foamy suds I always have a bucket of clean water that I rinse my "cloth" frequently. Change clean water as needed to ensure you're not continually contaminating your wash "rag" (I don't really use a cloth or rag but I don't know what to call it)

Check out auto geek and get a foam cannon like cake is talking about.

I attach mine to a regular hose (no pressure washer)

Even though I was told the Xpel film could be pressure washed - I don't want to, and don't need to.

Docta has a pretty badass set up right now for washing his rides. Pressure washer and a foam cannon. I will have to see if I can dig up the email or the thread on it.

So with the foam cannon...do we just allow the soap suds soak on the car for couple of minutes, scrub, then rinse?

After watching several YouTube video, I decided that I'll be getting the pressure washer as well.

Thinking about getting a vac/blow machine too to dry. I currently towel dry.

I have a foam gun as well but have not used it on my matte paint. What soap are you going to use?

Snow foam, but don't know which brand? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Honeydew Snow Foam by Chemical Guys. I read that a lot of people use Magifoam?

My matte paint is wrapped so it is much easier maintenance.

Just purchased an electric pressure washer (AR Blue Cleaner 1900 PSI) from Sears with high number of 4/5 star reviews from multiple sites and also an electric corded 12v Craftsman leaf blower for drying.

So with the foam cannon...do we just allow the soap suds soak on the car for couple of minutes, scrub, then rinse?

After watching several YouTube video, I decided that I'll be getting the pressure washer as well.

Thinking about getting a vac/blow machine too to dry. I currently towel dry.

Make sure you get a blower designed to blow dry cars. A "regular" blower won't have a filter and you risk having airborne particles sand blast your car.

Go to Autogeek.net and read some of the forum stuff and check out their products. I buy from them all the time.

Enjoy!

Snow foam, but don't know which brand? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Honeydew Snow Foam by Chemical Guys. I read that a lot of people use Magifoam?

My matte paint is wrapped so it is much easier maintenance.

Just purchased an electric pressure washer (AR Blue Cleaner 1900 PSI) from Sears with high number of 4/5 star reviews from multiple sites and also an electric corded 12v Craftsman leaf blower for drying.

Ah damn OK. My G63 is not wrapped so I have been hand washing with Beasleys aka unicorn jizz I feel like. Which makes me miss my foam gun/soap that much more.

I've used the Foam Cannon as well and liked it, now I just do the "two bucket" wash method which seems to get me better results (admittedly not as fun as the Foam Cannon especially if your little one is helping).. whatever you do I suggest you check out Zaino Brothers products.. I'm sure a bunch of you on here know him, but Sal [Zaino] is a great guy, a fellow Lambo owner, and makes one hell of a product for detailing. This is a shot of my 90k+ mile S4 that was driven through our harsh winter without being washed once. his stuff literally made her look better than when she was new.

zaino_zpsac038295.jpg

My thinking has really changed over the years on this. My current thought is "just don't touch it". Its been my experience that no matter how hard you try NOT to, you will press too hard washing or drying and eventually put swirl marks in the paint. So once a year I have in professionally detailed and have a coating of 22PLE applied at the end. When I wash I use a huge hairy sheepskin mitt and drag it over the car (I really try to put zero pressure on it - hard to do on the sides). Lots of water. Two bucket method. Chemical guys High Gloss shampoo (don't use to much - just end up stripping the wax- follow the directions). Blow dry, never use towels. And for me a must is the CR Spotless. People have different opinions about this system but I love mine. Just have to get new resin once a year. The soap cannons are cool and I have a small fortune in micro fiber towels and never use either anymore.

My thinking has really changed over the years on this. My current thought is "just don't touch it". Its been my experience that no matter how hard you try NOT to, you will press too hard washing or drying and eventually put swirl marks in the paint. So once a year I have in professionally detailed and have a coating of 22PLE applied at the end. When I wash I use a huge hairy sheepskin mitt and drag it over the car (I really try to put zero pressure on it - hard to do on the sides). Lots of water. Two bucket method. Chemical guys High Gloss shampoo (don't use to much - just end up stripping the wax- follow the directions). Blow dry, never use towels. And for me a must is the CR Spotless. People have different opinions about this system but I love mine. Just have to get new resin once a year. The soap cannons are cool and I have a small fortune in micro fiber towels and never use either anymore.

Had 22PLE on my Gallardo by Esoteric also! Love that product!!

Re soap cannon, yes - rinse car, then foam, allow it to marinate a few minutes. I do the same as Market Top - drag a lambs wool (synthetic) over - only applying pressure where I must. We also use CR Spotless (thanks to Market Top's recommendation). Bought it through Costco.com a couple years ago. LUV IT! Like Chris we change the chemicals yearly. Maybe even sooner depending on how many washes we do.

Tarminator to get the tough stuff off.

For dissolving bugs we use a German product: "Anti-Insekt" from this site: http://www.1-z.com/ Amazing stuff and doesn't harm the paint. You need water, but this stuff dissolves the bugs and they start to run off the paint after a couple minutes. It saves lots of elbow grease and barely need pressure to get the nose clean.

Still trying to figure out a good way to keep engine from getting wet (so I have less to dry).

You can pick up Anti-Insekt and Tarminator both from Autogeek.com. Just throwing that out there. Sounds like a lot of useful info in this thread! I love learning a new trick for keeping everything clean!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally washed my car today with my new set up! It worked great!

Pressure washer: Blue clean AR383

Foam Lance: MTM

Foam Detergent: MTM Honeydew